Having troubles

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I would really appreciate any help anyone can give on this. I have been playing for a year. I have played multiple instruments prior. The trouble I am having is getting real proficient on the uke. I can strum a bunch of tunes and finger pick out a few melodies but I want to play instrumental stuff and have no idea how to start. Should I learn to read tab? Is the any play by ear stuff that can teach me chord progressions or whatever. I am very confused as you can see. Any help to be able to take my playing to the next level would be greatly appreciated.

If you can hear basic I-IV-V7 progressions, my Volume 2 DVD may be a help in teaching you the structure of how music works.
There is also a bunch of free info on my site like my feature The Circle. Good luck!
http://playukulelebyear.blogspot.com

Jim,
I can hear the i-iv-v just fine. I am very interested in your dvd. What all does #2 entail? I looked at your site once and took my uke to a jam that night and played "hound dog" Ha!

can't read it fluently. only play by ear. I can understand tab but do not get the timing that goes with it. I have to hear stuff to play it.

can't read it fluently. only play by ear. I can understand tab but do not get the timing that goes with it. I have to hear stuff to play it.
If you learn to read music you'll be able to play straight of the page, Tab is easier to learn but you need to hear the song and get it into your head, then you can go to the tab and it makes makes more sense.

If you learn to read music you'll be able to play straight of the page, Tab is easier to learn but you need to hear the song and get it into your head, then you can go to the tab and it makes makes more sense.
It is probably best to combine the tab with audio if you are unable to read music. You could also use tabs which are written in guitarpro or tabledit format, these systems combine tab with audio and enable you to adjust tempo (and many other things) while getting to know new material. Jim's site is also one of the best around for ukulele and musicianship.

Top Bottom