MGM Sells Out! NOT! MGM & HMS join forces.

Kekani

Reaction score
Everyone knows who the go to guy is for `ukulele, but he's been a little hard to find without an online presence. Well, Hawaii Music Supply knows a good thing (person) when they see it, and now have MGM on staff. They have revamped their focus, and they are doing the famous FULL MGM setups. I stand corrected from a previous post I made about MGM doing a quick one. Well, they're quick, and they're full, and they're correct because that is his craft. MGM has an instrument background, not just a "sell `ukulele" background, and his experienced services are now offered through HMS.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/location/aboutus

Like I shared the Knew Concepts saw with fellow builders in the Lounge, I just thought I'd share this bit of info here.

Merry Christmas!

Aaron

Thanks for the update Aaron, and a Very Merry Christmas to you.

Aloha
Jack

Aloha Kekani, Mahalo for heads up but I read it on FB/HMS a few months ago and it was perfect for all concerned. Wishing them continued success...............................BO...............................

Everyone knows who the go to guy is for `ukulele, but he's been a little hard to find without an online presence. Well, Hawaii Music Supply knows a good thing (person) when they see it, and now have MGM on staff. They have revamped their focus, and they are doing the famous FULL MGM setups. I stand corrected from a previous post I made about MGM doing a quick one. Well, they're quick, and they're full, and they're correct because that is his craft. MGM has an instrument background, not just a "sell `ukulele" background, and his experienced services are now offered through HMS.

I remember your "not quality setup" comment and was disappointed. You also put down lower-end ukes like Kala as "cheap ass crap" in that thread.
Are you affiliated with MGM or HMS? I would like to know the source of this contradictory information before I purchase my next uke from there.

Eh Howzit Aaron,
Mahalo brah for da heads up...please send my Season Greetings to You and your Ohana, Hawaii Music Supply and Mike ... A hui ho.. Yup livin' aloha bruddah...:)

I got a 'cheap ass Kala' from MGM back in the spring - my first uke. It had Aquila strings and the frets were well dressed. I don't know if Mike did it or if it came like that from the factory, but I was amazed at how well it played out of the box. I lowered the action a bit to suite my taste, but it's a solid instrument and was well set up. As a guitarist, I am dumbfounded that something that plays this well only cost $100. Not saying I don't want something nicer.....

I have purchased several ukes from Mike and a couple from HMS. I ordered a set of strings from Mike yesterday. He sounded great on the phone--says that he has lost a lot of weight and that he is feeling much better. I'm glad.

I got a 'cheap ass Kala' from MGM back in the spring - my first uke. It had Aquila strings and the frets were well dressed. I don't know if Mike did it or if it came like that from the factory, but I was amazed at how well it played out of the box. I lowered the action a bit to suite my taste, but it's a solid instrument and was well set up. As a guitarist, I am dumbfounded that something that plays this well only cost $100. Not saying I don't want something nicer.....

I too have a Kala from MGM that plays beautifully...
...before I start buying from HMS, I just want to make sure it isn't from someone who calls their own products "crap" (HMS sells Kala). That is why I want to know if Aaron is/was speaking for MGM or HMS.

take things(words) less serious, man ....
maybe he is making internal joke with MGM or HMS...
If it is something related to ukuleles, you should be always happy and strumming.

Aaron's a luthier so it's relative. If you go to the Luthier Lounge, they say that if you don't spend at least $200, it's not an instrument. Don't get them started on the Dolphin!!

Aloha...it's a internal joke...I always tease Aaron that what takes him three hours to setup I do in 15 minutes....yes don,t. Take what you read always so seriously. Aaron and I have been friends for years and play music with Ramon Camarillo at Nico,s every Friday.....I met Aaron years and years ago when he taught the click and ship teaching sessions for small business for the post office....that's when I found out he makes ukes and have been his exclusive distributor for years...he is now the post master at my local Kaneohe post office...his ukes are now available exclusively at Hawaii Music Supply and a custom from Aaron can be ordered from me at the store...he is also a custom inlayer for koaloha and does contract inlay work for Koolau.....how,s that for full disclosure...by the way. I really try not to post anything to do with my business retail side unlike many others do here. Just have fun and and enjoy the most wonderful instrument in the world.....the ukulele. Okay time to play and party...

...before I start buying from HMS, I just want to make sure it isn't from someone who calls their own products "crap" (HMS sells Kala). That is why I want to know if Aaron is/was speaking for MGM or HMS.

I am not speaking for either. This post was just informational to inform those here on this board that if you were looking to buy something from MGM, he has teamed up with HMS. I know there's a LOT of people here wondering where he is, I just thought I'd shorten the search.

HMS and MGM can sell what they want. What I think of their product line has no bearing on what they have to offer. As MGM stated, he also sells the instruments he designs and I build for him. Is anyone here going to buy one of mine? Probably not, so this post is not entirely self serving. Most people who read this will venture into the low end of the spectrum anyway, where MGM has supply.

Am I late in reporting this news? Maybe, so don't read it and move on.

I'll just shut up now and crawl back to the Lounge where I can post informational threads and only have 1 "non-personal" heckler that understood really quick the intent of this thread:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?57135-Saw-for-Inlay-Artists-only

-Aaron

Last edited:
Aaron aka Kekani and Mike aka MGM are very close friends and have known one another for a long time. Aaron was the person who kept us in the loop regarding MGM's health issues. I'm quite sure Aaron isn't affiliated with HMS and he probably knows Andrew and the HMS staff. Aaron himself is also a custom builder who very few have heard of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom