PDA

View Full Version : Peanuts are in... again!

Mim
12-17-2011, 03:24 PM
I know we had some problems with the previous run, but I like this run of peanuts a lot! What needed to be fixed is fixed and these are great! The pickup underneath the saddle is a woven wire that spans the entire saddle length and has nice even tone to it. It also seems to react better volume wise to the levels of your strumming or picking. LOVE these!

Not trying to promote myself of anything. I just know some people wanted to know when they were in again. They are $115 plus shipping. $5 extra if you want a strap button. Wish I could go lower price wise, but I do a lot of work on these fret wise to make sure there are no buzzes etc. It takes a little time, but it is worth it. The action does run a little high on the 12th fret on these. Nothing terrible, just 4mm instead of 3mm type thing. But for the price these are great little ukes and would make great stocking stuffers. I will ship UPS if it will get to you still by Christmas or I can do USPS priority if interested.

I do hate doing posts like this. I dont want it to seem like I am doing it to drum up business. But even if you buy from someone else, just wanted people to know those previous issues with the peanuts have been taken care of and the people who had good ones from the last round really love them. They make a great travel uke or silent practice uke as well!

ukebuilder
12-17-2011, 03:56 PM
love to see pics? how so we order?

Olarte
12-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Same here... Very curious.

Mim
12-17-2011, 04:14 PM
You can just let me know your e-mail address and I will send you a paypal invoice. Gonna start sending them out on Monday. Pics:
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_4826.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_4832.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_4833.jpg
With optional strap button:
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_4836.jpg

mds725
12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Actually, Mim, posts like this are a public service for those of us who ordered Peanuts earlier and were waiting for the new ones to come in. PM sent. Happy holidays!

Mim
12-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Actually, Mim, posts like this are a public service for those of us who ordered Peanuts earlier and were waiting for the new ones to come in. PM sent. Happy holidays!

Haha! I got one a-waitin' for ya!

mds725
12-17-2011, 05:15 PM
By the way, I finally took a long look at your avatar and fell on the floor laughing. It's genius, I tell you! Absolute genius!

Mim
12-17-2011, 06:18 PM
By the way, I finally took a long look at your avatar and fell on the floor laughing. It's genius, I tell you! Absolute genius!

Hahaha! I need to change it back to something less stressed out! I put that as my avatar during the last batch of Peanuts when I was finding out some had problems. I wanted to scream. So I googled "scream" and saw that and I was like... THAT IS IT! That is how I FEEL! It had to be my avatar.

I need to put something happier in there now though. These peanuts are great! I am back to being a happy Mim! I wish I could take credit for the pic. It is genius!

Here it is big... though then you can see it is a guitar and not a uke, but when you make it small you cant see the difference:
http://www.toonpool.com/user/2325/files/guitar_scream_750315.jpg

ukebuilder
12-17-2011, 08:08 PM
They look great, pm sent again and looking forward to it.

ckellogg
12-18-2011, 04:12 AM
I love my Peanut, it is super for travel (so small), sounds great with earbuds, you can practice quietly at home, and, at jams and such things. At my group's last Beginner's Lesson, I got in a full practice session of my own stuff, while joining in for stuff I needed during the lesson. You know how at every jam there's someone who tools around when others are talking and it's distracting? Not so with the quiet little Peanut! I wore one earbud and could hear both the nut and the group. As far as amping, some of the UU folks in Atlanta saw my setup with a Smokey amp and a short cable, I just let it hang.

Deaks
12-18-2011, 07:27 AM
What the cost of shipping one of these to the UK?

Mim
12-18-2011, 12:22 PM
What the cost of shipping one of these to the UK?

Probably about $30. If you PM me your address I will put it in the system and let you know for sure.

kaizersoza
12-18-2011, 12:34 PM
those peanuts are sweet little ukes, i can feel UAS creeping up on me again

gnordenstam
12-18-2011, 12:42 PM
PM Sent!
--G

Mim
12-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks yall! I am going to try to get the orders I have in already out tomorrow. Then the next batch on Tuesday. If I have not responded to your e-mail of PM, please know I will. I have been sitting at my desk setting up ukuleles since 12 noon... literally! The last minute Christmas rush is keeping me busy.

bbycrts
12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I got a good one last time around - I had Mim put a strap button on it and I have a little mandolin strap on it. I love it. The strap makes it easier to hold - with so little body it's not easy to hold with your forearm. I normally play a super soprano and I can hold it up with my forearm. The Peanut really benefits from the strap. I mostly play it as a silent practice uke, but it sounds great plugged in as well.

Strummin simon
12-19-2011, 03:21 AM
wish i had bought one from mim now...
bought mine off ebay, waiting for it to come. what was the problem with these? i'm praying mine doesnt have any

Loz
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
My peanut arrived today, setup nicely without any problems, and I'm very happy with it so far. It looks and sounds great and should prove to be a nice companion when I travel for work (fits perfectly in my carry on). I am still getting used to its smaller size (my other ukes are tenors) and will likely get a strap for it but am definitely having fun playing around with it in the meantime. I've included a photo below so you can get a better feel for its relative size (its pictured next to my Tenor Eleuke). Thanks Mim!

http://djlhggipcyllo.cloudfront.net/3853885/353f575318e75290086b188677b67d0f4470c73d/4.jpg

kaizersoza
12-20-2011, 11:13 AM
WoW i am definitely havin one of them in the new year, they will be a fantastic backpackin uke

Ambient Doughnut
12-20-2011, 12:22 PM
wish i had bought one from mim now...
bought mine off ebay, waiting for it to come. what was the problem with these? i'm praying mine doesnt have any

If you strum too hard... they explode!

;)

Mim
12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
The old one had a 50/50 chance of having unequal string volume. The new ones...PERFECT! Well... the frets need work, but nothing I cant fix. But to tell you the truth, I do work at least an hour on each. BUT... you have to keep in mind, I am crazy stupid anal. If one fret is making a string buzz and I loosen the strings to fix the one buzz... I cant not rock all the frets to look for other high spots (just in case) and then I end up fixing them all. It is time consuming, but I feel like I "earn" my sale. Does that make sense?

But for the ebay purchase, the nut action should be fine for you and if you do encounter a string buzzing let me know and if it is not too bad I can give you the "I have no fret leveling tools but want to get rid of this fret buzz" info. But... no matter what you gots some good electronics in these new ones. Yes sir!!! They volume reacts well with how you play too. I forget what to call it.

Anyway... for those who sent me e-mails and PMs about these. I am not ignoring you. I just have to take things in the order in which they are received, BUT, not to blow my own horn, but it is worth the wait. I will put lots of love and care into setting yours up for ya! :)

Strummin simon
12-21-2011, 02:26 AM
thanks for the info Mim,

i ordered mine last week, so i am hoping the seller has a new batch, rather the the old ones with problems.
if it does have unequal string volume is that fixable?

perep
12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks Mim for the Peanut, got here QUICK & seems to play well. Once again, thanks for the great service
perep from Oregon

mm stan
12-22-2011, 06:18 PM
You can just let me know your e-mail address and I will send you a paypal invoice. Gonna start sending them out on Monday. Pics:
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_4826.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_4832.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_4833.jpg
With optional strap button:
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/IMG_4836.jpg
Aloha Mim,
Looks like it would make a good travel uke...what are the dementions....thank you. BTW um did you color your hair...jus wondering....hmmm

Strummin simon
12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
ok, so the ebay one has the unequal string volume! huh, just my luck.

anyone know, is this easy to fix? is it worth trying to fix? or does it need to go back?

joeybug
12-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I so want one of these, may have to add them to my "saving up" list!

They look so cool and are cheap and even me, who's allergic to peanuts wants one!

Drew Bear
12-22-2011, 08:43 PM
ok, so the ebay one has the unequal string volume! huh, just my luck.

anyone know, is this easy to fix? is it worth trying to fix? or does it need to go back?Here's the thread from a few months ago: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?52701-Peanut-Quality-Issues

I get the impression it's mostly a matter of adjusting the "tone" control knob and it may be fiddly to get it just right. The explanation from the guy who designed it is on page 7.

Here's another thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?53633-EleUke-Peanut-action-height-and-un-even-amplified-sound-output-issue

Strummin simon
12-22-2011, 11:04 PM
thanks drew bear. thats really helpful. i'm sure i can fix mine no bother!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Just paid for a Peanut from Mim!

Really looking forward to this one.

At these prices and with Mim's setup, this might be the Year of the Peanut!

keep uke'in',

Ambient Doughnut
01-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I got mine from Mim the other night!

First impressions are that it's well finished. Comfortable to play and the volume across the strings seems pretty consistent. I don't get the fiddling with the tone control to adjust the relative volume of the strings. The tone control on mine seems to adjust the tone. Quite a bit too! Muted at one end, brash and tinny at the other. It's got a centre notched position and seems to sound best there.

I saw another post complaining about distortion. I've noticed with the volume right up it sounds a little distorted through headphones but backing off a bit seems to sort that. Sound through the main output to an amp is great! (I'm using a Marshall 100watt valve amp - possibly overkill)

Overall - excellent for the price and perfect for my needs; mainly late night strumming without upsetting the neighbours.

Gwynedd
01-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Nothing wrong with this post, Mim. I was considering a Peanut if I want to do some digital recording (that is, if I can get my picking back up to speed after all these years.) THis is helpful and I'd rather buy a Peanut from you than some person who doesn't set up the instrument or back it up. And since you provide a valuable service, some people here like me are happy to support you. I am new to Ukes but I ended up buying my first uke from a UU person as it seemed the most prudent thing to do. And I'd rather get a setup instrument with no buzzes or surprises.

EscapeTheClouds
01-31-2012, 08:17 AM
I just ordered a Peanut from Mim with a Low G string and a strap button installed. I'm psyched. Mim's been great about answering questions and providing great customer service. My goal is to pack an entire music studio into a backpack, and the Peanut's part of that mission.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
01-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Let us know what exactly makes up your backpack studio.

You know, once one begins to play the uke and especially when one travels with a uke,
to song circles, not necessarily out of town or out of state or out of the country, there's
the 'problem' of how to carry everything in a nice compact format - music, music stand,
uke (with gig bag or case), and all the assorted accessories electrical and otherwise!

Looking forward to seeing your setup and the backpack you'll be carrying it in!

keep uke'in',

Kayak Jim
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
I just ordered a Peanut from Mim

I don't see these listed in her ebay store. Being new to the uke (3 weeks), I'm scouting out the best dealers for when I'm ready to progress from my starter KA-S. Mim is way up there as far as reputations go but her selection shown on ebay is pretty slim and "mimsukes.com" bounces.

Jim B

BlueLatitude
01-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Dear gawd, that is one cute peanut! I too am wondering if Mim still has some in stock?

missameeames
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't see these listed in her ebay store. Being new to the uke (3 weeks), I'm scouting out the best dealers for when I'm ready to progress from my starter KA-S. Mim is way up there as far as reputations go but her selection shown on ebay is pretty slim and "mimsukes.com" bounces.

Jim B

Dear gawd, that is one cute peanut! I too am wondering if Mim still has some in stock?

I don't ever recall seeing the peanuts in her eBay or site store either, but if you email her or PM her (username: Mim), she'll take very good care of you. I adore my peanut from Mim. :)

Mim
01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Oh my gosh guys... let me tell you a mini life story to answer what is up with me and what peanuts are not on ebay:

Aloha Snow Closed the last week of October.
Brought Mim's Ukes to my dining room.
Packed up for TBUG with stock room still unorganized
Went to TBUG
Got about 160 ukes on-line
Christmas rush began, never had time to get other 200 ukes on ebay
Found a new house in the middle of Christmas rush
Week after Christmas for me uke sales usually stagnanted
Did not realize I grew to a point where there is no such thing as stinkin' stagnation... STILL BUSY (this is a good thing)
Mom gave us a cruise for Christmas the 2nd week in January
Got home for 3 days, filled orders, then hopped a plane to NAMM
Now... I am home
I have 130 ukes with pictures taken and inventoried
I have about 200 more to go
Want to get them done before a HUGE load of Kamoas and Big Islands show up at my doorstep
BUT... orders are first...
YES... I have peanuts... YES, I have a feeeeew beginner instruments....
I need to figure out what is up with my website. Weirdness.
AND... I am taking all pictures then sitting down and doing ebay listings. Will probably take me 3 or 4 days to do so.
Goal: Mid next week people will look on ebay and say HOLY CRAP MIM HAS LOTS OF UKES
BUT... though I have an ebay store you can always e-mail and phone me. We can talk about size, tone, and budget and I can make you one of my crappy demos if you want some comparisons of different ukes.

So... I am trying to get it together before I move so I will not get more behind. And Mim's Ukes will only have 1 weekend where it will be down because it will be traveling to its new home.

Oh... by the way... the new house we bought has an 800 square foot workshop on top of a two car garage. It is "barn style" so the ceilings are HUGE! I WILL HAVE A SHOP!!! Gonna build a porch off it and I WILL HAVE A UKE SHOP! Yet it will still be at "home". There are no zoning laws up there, so it isnt a problem! HOORAY! So if you are ever traveling the blue ridge mountains come to my new shop and sit on the front porch with me and we will play!

Should I make this a post on its own so people know what is up with me! Haha! Basically I never got to seamlessly transition from ice cream and ukuleles to uke only seamlessly because things got in the way. BUT... now I'm baaaaaaack! And it is gonna get good reaaaal soon!

Mim
01-31-2012, 03:54 PM

I have a bunch! Will order a bunch more soon too! Buy from meeeeee! I think I am the only one who actually works on them and stocks them. There are a few drop shippers out there.

EscapeTheClouds
01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Let us know what exactly makes up your backpack studio....

Looking forward to seeing your setup and the backpack you'll be carrying it in!

The bag itself is nothing special, just a 7+ year old Targus backpack designed for 15" laptops. I wanted some nondescript and old-looking, so you can't tell there's all this gear inside.

Here's the rig on my dining table. I was working on some scratch tracks for the next CD.

Here's the gear:
MSI GT68R Laptop - Quad Core i7 / 12GB RAM / 2 x 500 HDs
Laptop AC Adaptor
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
Akai LPD-8 USB Drum Pad / Knob Controller
Akai LPK-25 USB Keyboard
Collapsible Laptop Stand (under which the Scarlett and Akais sit)
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Monitoring Headphones
AKG C1000S Microphone
Proline Desktop Mic Stand
1/4" Guitar/Uke Cable
XLR Mic Cable
USB Hub + USB Cables
USB Wireless Mouse
USB Worklight for dark places
Lilliput 5" external HD LCD Monitor
Stand for Lilliput
HDMI cable for Lilliput
AC Adaptor and battery for Lilliput
Compact surge protector

I use the 5" monitor for decluttering, like displaying my list of active VSTs, monitoring my video editing work, and side-stuff like chatting.

There's room inside the bag for a Peanut (at least, based on my measurements). If it doesn't fit, I can easily clip it on the outside of the bag with a carabiner.

EscapeTheClouds
02-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Just got my Peanut today. :)

It was beautifully setup courtesy of Mim. The box was also wrapped entirely in clear plastic, which was great, considering we had rain the entire day. I cut her out, tuned her up, plugged her in, and started jamming. I played all over the neck and didn't encounter any buzzing. It just feels... right.

Comments:
* I'm really glad I got the strap button on the back. The 'Nut's got a tiny little body, so the strap just makes things easier. It's still perfectly playable without the strap, of course.
* Loving the Low G string. I know the High G is traditional for sopranos, but for the music I make the low G fits better.
* The only other non-baritone uke I have is a Mahalo acoustic-electric LP-style soprano. It cost only $15 less than the Peanut. The Mahalo feels and sounds like a cheap toy, which was fine for what I was seeking: a starter soprano instrument. It buzzes all over. The pickup system is pretty crappy. The Peanut, on the other hand, is a real solid instrument. The neck and the action feel perfect.
* My only nitpick--and I had to think real hard to come up with one--is that I wish the case had some padding. This is a uke designed to be thrown into bags, trunks, backpacks, drawers, and other dangerous places. Knowing from experience with my baritone eleuke, even with a padded case these solid bodies pick up dings in the weirdest place. But it's no big deal. I can pad the case myself with foam and what-not.

Very, very happy with my buy. Cheers to Mim for the fantastic service. :)

Here's the Peanut next to my Mahalo soprano, for size comparison purposes.

Mim
02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Just got my Peanut today. :)

It was beautifully setup courtesy of Mim. The box was also wrapped entirely in clear plastic, which was great, considering we had rain the entire day. I cut her out, tuned her up, plugged her in, and started jamming. I played all over the neck and didn't encounter any buzzing. It just feels... right.

Comments:
* I'm really glad I got the strap button on the back. The 'Nut's got a tiny little body, so the strap just makes things easier. It's still perfectly playable without the strap, of course.
* Loving the Low G string. I know the High G is traditional for sopranos, but for the music I make the low G fits better.
* The only other non-baritone uke I have is a Mahalo acoustic-electric LP-style soprano. It cost only $15 less than the Peanut. The Mahalo feels and sounds like a cheap toy, which was fine for what I was seeking: a starter soprano instrument. It buzzes all over. The pickup system is pretty crappy. The Peanut, on the other hand, is a real solid instrument. The neck and the action feel perfect.
* My only nitpick--and I had to think real hard to come up with one--is that I wish the case had some padding. This is a uke designed to be thrown into bags, trunks, backpacks, drawers, and other dangerous places. Knowing from experience with my baritone eleuke, even with a padded case these solid bodies pick up dings in the weirdest place. But it's no big deal. I can pad the case myself with foam and what-not.

Very, very happy with my buy. Cheers to Mim for the fantastic service. :)

Here's the Peanut next to my Mahalo soprano, for size comparison purposes.

#1... you pics of your bag set up is SO awesome... there aren't words! I want a set up like that if I had any time to actually work on recording. Maybe one day. A girl can dream! But man, all that gear in one bag for a great recording set-up... AWESOMENESS!

#2 Glad you loved your peanut! I like the little booger. Like you I prefer a button on the back as well. You can always attach at the bottom though and then attach the other end to the headstock. When a uke is "mine" I always add a button. Because when I perform I get nervous and therefore even more clutsy than my usual clutsyness.

Thanks for showing the size comparison! Enjoy!

DoctorFinlay
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
PM sent, really want one of these for my birthday! :)

Strummin simon
02-09-2012, 09:14 PM
still trying to fix mine.

several emails later from phillip at eleuke and nothing.

got partial refund from the ebay seller...but i need to know how to fix the string volume and general rubbishness when played through an amp?

i love the look of it, and i love to play it unplugged, its perfect and is nicer to play unplugged than the original eleuke sopranos.

but amped up...crap!

DoctorFinlay
02-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Mine arrived today from Mim and it is a delight! Sounds great plugged in and I love being able to practise once my little girl has gone to bed! Unfortunately I have had to put it away until my birthday in a couple of weeks. Boo. Does anybody have any strap advice? I dug out a couple of different guitar straps but not found anything I like yet...