My Poor Guitars

tmm200

Reaction score
I got a uke about 8 months ago and have not touched my guitars since. They are beautiful guitars, but I'm leaning towards selling them and getting some KoAlohas with the proceeds.

I have a 1999 Gibson Les Paul Standard and a 2007 Martin OM-21 Special. Both have been babied and are in great shape. I'm not sure what I could get for them, but I assume it would be a whole lot of uke.

I'd like to get a concert and a tenor for sure. Any money left over would go towards a pineapple.

Maybe I'll just sell the Gibson. The Martin is such a beautiful instrument; it would be hard to part with. It makes me sad that it doesn't get played though.

These boards are full of threads in which people express regret for letting go of a beloved instrument. Maybe selling the Gibson and keeping the Martin (which it sounds like you might regret selling) is the best plan for you. It's possible that at some point down the road you may want to play the guitar once again (even if only every now and then), so it might make sense to keep at least one guitar, and you seem to be more attached to the Martin. Just two cents from someone who doesn't play the guitar but still has the clarinet I played from third grade through high school.

KoAloha makes wonderful ukuleles.

I own 62 guitars and 15 ukuleles. Iplay guitar much more than I play ukulele. I perform on ukulele, much more than I do on guitar. Both instruments are corelated, tmm200. Ukulele will make you a better guitarist. Don't give up on either. Ric

The OM 21 currently lists for $2699 US, which means you'll pay about 2k for it in a store which means you could reasonably expect to get around $1500+ in good condition. In this economy you may have to accept less. You'll likely regret selling it, especially if it's a good example of an OM 21.

I agree with ricdoug, playing both makes you better at both and a better all around musician. They're both a blast. don't sell 'em.

The OM-21 I have is the "Special" model. It lists for $3,799 on Martin's website. I'd probably get in the neighborhood of $2,000 for it. I'm not going to sell it though. It's just too beautiful of an instrument to part with.

The Les Paul on the other hand, I'm never going to use. If I could get $1,500 for it, I'd be happy. That would get me a concert and a pineapple, maybe a concert and a tenor if I went the used route.

The OM-21 I have is the "Special" model. It lists for $3,799 on Martin's website. I'd probably get in the neighborhood of $2,000 for it. I'm not going to sell it though. It's just too beautiful of an instrument to part with.

The Les Paul on the other hand, I'm never going to use. If I could get $1,500 for it, I'd be happy. That would get me a concert and a pineapple, maybe a concert and a tenor if I went the used route.

Glad that you wont sell ALL your guitars, keep one you will want it and may regret it. Of course be sure and let us know if you get some new uke's too.

Keep the Martin. I love mine. :) I have a Martin 000-15SM all Mahogany and it is sooo sweet. I keep it right next to my Kamaka Tenor. The Martin gets more love because I love the woody, bluesy sound it gives. But the Kamaka Tenor sit's right next to the 000-15SM and serves as a perfect compliment. I would keep the Martin. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Pick up your Martin and play it for fifteen minutes. [Ralf minds his own business for fifteen minutes.] Feel better now?

I sold the Les Paul this morning. Now the decisions begin. I really like the concert sized uke I have now, so I know I want a KoAloha concert. I have enough cash for another uke and am trying to decide between a tenor and a pineapple. I'm thinking that a low G tenor and a high G concert would be a nice set.

I just got my Dad a soprano uke for his birthday though and am digging the soprano sound. The sopranos are quite a bit cheaper, so I suppose it would be easier to pick one of those up down the road.

Decisions, decisions!

8 months is too short a time too let go of playing guitar for the uke. I've been playing the uke for just slightly longer than you and my guitars didn't get much love during that time. I recently picked up a new steel string and now I play both equally. It was sort of a good reminder why I've played guitar for so many years.

My advice on what uke to get. I'd pass on getting two Ukes and just blow your whole budget plus a little more on a custom. Quality vs. quantity.

and if you ever want to record, a guitar is a nice thing to have for a solid rhythm track. I'm staying with basic rhythm styles for guitar and use the ukes for melody.

I ordered a concert and a tenor today from HMS. Hopefully I will get them next week. I will post pics once they arrive.

Top Bottom