Kala Mahogany tenor VS Tanglewood tenor

Bao

Reaction score
I'm not sure you have to worry as much about laminate ukes. The less well known brand could be just as good. The price difference is a bit more than $25, however, since the Tanglewood comes with a pretty nice case. Also, the Tanglewood seller says they do a setup. No mention of that from the other seller. You might want to ask them to change the "nylon, black" strings to Aquilas.

Nice gift. You're a good friend. :)

Oh i never read the part about them doing a set up. I think i'm leaning more towards the tanglewood now. I did read a few reviews about it being badly made though so that's kind of a risk.

Ahah just trying to spread the uke fever.

Hi Bao

I've played a concert Tanglewood & found it to be a terrific sounding instrument, and with a setup & case, have recommended it to friends as a 'good starter' instrument.

If you can get to a store & try both out, it would be better ...... I liked my friend's one!

cheers

Roberta

I have both Kala and Tanglewood ukes.
They're both well made and sound terrific.

Out of the two choices, I would go for the Tanglewood.
At the same price range, the Tanglewoods are built neater. It just has that smoother, more consistent touch that makes it feel like a finely crafted instrument.

The cheaper Kalas like that tenor, while they sound good, have a cruder, rougher finish.
Something about it just feels a bit cheaper. It just lacks that something extra that the Tanglewood has in how it is finished.

In addition, the Tanglewood costs less, has free shipping AND a hardcase included. That's even more value!!
As far as buying ukes within Australia, Tanglewood is one of the best value I've seen in my years of uke obsession.

Last edited:
Hey Kissing, when you bought your tanglewood, did you also get the hard case with it?

If so, how is it? I've been looking for a hardcase for myself aswell.

I have a Tanglewood soprano version. Sounds excellent - bright, open sound.
I expect that the tenor would also be an excellent instrument.

Mine did not come with a hardcase, just the uke alone.
The eBay link you found is surprisingly good value. I think the tenor would normally go for that price without the hardcase.

From the pictures, it seems to be a very good hardcase. It's a very good deal.

It does come with GHS strings, which are a bit on the mellow side. Personally I think the Tanglewoods would sound better with Aquilas, but the stock GHS is not a bad combination either.

I currently have Fremont black fluorocarbon on mine. It's very bright.. but I might switch them for Aquilas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom