PDA

View Full Version : Tenor in the $200-400 range?

happa95
12-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Is there anyone here willing to part with a tenor in the $200-400 range? I like a mellow tone, so I originally thought that a solid mahogany tenor would be the best, but since then, I've noticed that I like most of the woods pretty equally. So does anyone have any tenors? Or suggestions? :anyone:

Tommy B
12-18-2011, 07:49 AM
I have been super impressed by the solid-wood Kala tenors. In particular, a friend of mine has the koa one with the solid cedar top, and it's absolutely amazing for the price. I don't know if it's still a current model, but I think sellers still have some around for under $400. And yesterday, a new UU friend came over with his Islander tenor, which is Kanile'a's budget line. That was an exceptionally nice-sounding and playing uke for what little he spent. He bought the laminate one, but I would spring for the solid mahogany. Have fun.

Drew Bear
12-18-2011, 08:25 AM
happa95, you've waited this long since your first post here. Why not wait it out for the Mainland slot-head Tenor that you seem to have wanted from the start? It'll be new with warranty and properly setup by Mike.

If you simply can't deal with the uncertain timing any longer, then go with one of the reliable sellers like HMS/MGM, Mims, Uke Republic, etc. They'll all provide setup and back up what they sell with service should you need it. Pono has nice solid mahogany or acacia tenors in the $300s. Islander is made by Kanile'a and makes a good solid mahogany if you can find one. Mims carries a variety of Kala and Lanikai.

You can call any of the 3 folks mentioned above (MGM Mike, Mim (don't know if that's her real name) or Uke Republic Mike) and I'm sure they can let you know what they have to fit your budget and "mellow tone" requirement. I've heard sometimes they'll even play the uke over the phone for you to help you decide.

One final thought: this won't be your last uke purchase. There is no such thing as a "perfect" uke in any price range. Each instrument will have unique qualities. Choose a trustworthy retailer and be happy with whichever ukulele you select. The sound will improve as you improve as a player.

Susie A
12-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Take a look HERE (http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/category/tenor-size-ukes). I know you will find something you can't live without! I see a Sailor there just a tad above your mark. Call Mike. He is good people.

PhilUSAFRet
12-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Check out the Kala Solid Lacewood with solid spruce top.....amazing sounding. Want mellow, use mellow strings.

Joshypogi
12-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Checkout the Pono line of ukes. These are absolutely amazing for the price. The new acacia series are awesome!!!

happa95
12-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Yep, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Kala and Pono Acacia models and the Mainland Slothead mahogany. I'd jump on the Mainland if it were in stock but they're still waiting for the new shipment.

poppy
12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Had the mainland and found the frets were larger than any of my other ukes. They were about .040 all my others are about .030 they (the mainlands) are also wider. I had this fixed by a local luthier cost abt $70 and had them leveled ,the action lowerd accordingly. Improved the uke a ton. The sound from this uke with worth bm's was excellant ,the aquillas were good also but to me they are way hard. It developed some problems and mike was good enough to make it as right as he could.
Were I to chose from what you have listed it would be the kala Cedar top from mim shes got a good price right now and I understand she sets them up well.

mycdavid
12-18-2011, 11:01 PM
You on Oahu? I have a Pono tenor mahogany with pick up. Lemme know.

chrimess
12-19-2011, 12:31 AM
don't write off the Luna High Tide Tenor, Hawaii Music Supply like them for the price, Amazon have it a bit cheaper, PM me if you are interested, I have a new spare.