Song Help Request I Shot the Sheriff...?

I have a question about this song. I know that this thread/video is super old but it is the 1st uke video I watched (just minutes after getting my 1st uke) and I NEED to master this song.

The issue I have is when I do the mute where you lift your fingers after striking the chord, I cant get it to completely mute. It makes a weird buzzing type noise. I'm sure it is bc I still have too much pressure on the buzzing string, but how do you avoid this? Also, how do you do this type of mute on chords where you arent pushing down all 4 strings? Do you have to do a different type of mute for these chords? For the F#, Seeso just lifts his fingers but I think he is only strumming the top three strings. Is that right?

I guess I just need help with muting. I will have to review some of the Uke Minutes episodes where Aldrine discusses muting, but I would like an answer for this that relates directly to the questions asked, for this song.

Thanks!

The issue I have is when I do the mute where you lift your fingers after striking the chord, I cant get it to completely mute. It makes a weird buzzing type noise. I'm sure it is bc I still have too much pressure on the buzzing string, but how do you avoid this? Also, how do you do this type of mute on chords where you arent pushing down all 4 strings? Do you have to do a different type of mute for these chords? For the F#, Seeso just lifts his fingers but I think he is only strumming the top three strings. Is that right?

I do just lift my fingers, but I am playing all four for the chord. When I lift my fingers I am also using my index finger to mute the A string. I sort of flatten my index finger to achieve this.

I guess I just need help with muting. I will have to review some of the Uke Minutes episodes where Aldrine discusses muting, but I would like an answer for this that relates directly to the questions asked, for this song.

Thanks!

Aldrine is a master of the pinky mute. Try it out.

It's not necessary but you can use the Pinky Mute for any chords that doesn't ask you to bar a Fret. So you can Pinky Mute F#m and D then just lift the chords up Bm and C#m. I do that it gets rid of the extra sound from the open A without having to mute it while playing F#m it's not what Seeso does I asked him, but it's how I play it.

Lol dangit Seeso Forum Ninja

I do just lift my fingers, but I am playing all four for the chord. When I lift my fingers I am also using my index finger to mute the A string. I sort of flatten my index finger to achieve this.

Ohhhhhh I get it. Hmmm Im gonna give that a shot when I get home!! I shoulda known you'd be lurking in the corner somewhere, just waiting for this thread to pop back up :cool:

Aldrine is a master of the pinky mute. Try it out.

I agree, Aldrine makes this look really easy, I remeber watching this UM when it 1st came out. I will have to sit and review it and just practice a lot. I'm not "naturally gifted" so I have to put in a lot of practice, even for the "simple" things.

Thanks for the help Seeso, you're the man!

It's not necessary but you can use the Pinky Mute for any chords that doesn't ask you to bar a Fret. So you can Pinky Mute F#m and D then just lift the chords up Bm and C#m. I do that it gets rid of the extra sound from the open A without having to mute it while playing F#m it's not what Seeso does I asked him, but it's how I play it.

Lol dangit Seeso Forum Ninja

lol Seeso is indeed a forum ninja. I'm gonna study Aldrines Pink Mute episode of uke minutes and see if I can conquer it. Thanks for the help.

Anyone else out there have some words of wisdom??

Top Bottom