Going to Maui in January -- any recommendations for car-free people?

paeataa

Reaction score
I'm going to Maui, Hawaii for a conference in early January for five days, and I will be staying at the Grand Wailea.

The problem is I do not have the budget for a rental car, but still wanted to explore the island a bit. Are there any tour programs that you would recommend? Any good restaurants in a walking distance or with a shuttle or bus service?

I've heard about Bounty Music and Mele shops on Maui. But it looks like I need a car to get there. So, probably I won't be able to check out those shops. :(

I'm going to Maui, Hawaii for a conference in early January for five days, and I will be staying at the Grand Wailea.

The problem is I do not have the budget for a rental car, but still wanted to explore the island a bit. Are there any tour programs that you would recommend? Any good restaurants in a walking distance or with a shuttle or bus service?

I've heard about Bounty Music and Mele shops on Maui. But it looks like I need a car to get there. So, probably I won't be able to check out those shops. :(

You really don't need a car. Maui now has a bus system. I used to work at the Grand Wailea. Very nice. Lots to do there. there are many restaurants on site but very pricey. Check out Da Kitchen in Kihei (best local food IMO). I would recommend getting a economy car just for the joy of hitting Hana, haleakala, and Mele. As well as Lahaina. I think a car can be had for two days for the same price as a tour...

I stayed at the Grand Wailea once, and it really is a stunning property. If someone is paying your way, no problem. However, if this is on your dime, recondisder renting a car; taking meals at the Grand Wailea (or one of the other nearby resorts) will cost an arm and a leg, and the ability to drive someplace else for a more reasonable feed might more than make up for the cost of the rental. Maui isn't all that big an island, so everything is a reasonable (and beautiful) drive away. You'll save money renting at the airport, instead of the much pricier rates you'll get at your hotel's rental desk.

I would echo what they said depending more on the details. Car Rental is actually pretty cheap on Maui, gas on the other hand.... If you really can't you should be able to take bus tours of Hana and I even think Haleakala, for a Sunrise/set. Many of the major attractions will have some shuttle services. Kihei is a very affordable area for meals compared to where you are at and they are just down the road. While not a cheap place to eat, if you have transportation, my favorite is Mama's Fish house which is on the other side of the island near Ho'okipa. We tend to spend most of our time in Lahaina and Kaanapala. If you find yourself in Lahaina and on Front Street looking for a Ukulele shop, sop in and See Mike a Koala Gold, great service and a great selection. ANd if you are in Lahaina for food my two favorite places there are Cheeseburger in Paradise and BJ's Pizza, both have fabulous views of the Harbor and great food!

Thank you for the suggestion so far. Please keep it coming. I really appreciate it.

I finally have decided to rent a car during my stay as the shuttle from/to the OGG airport is almost $80. The rental for a week is about $230. That should give me some more flexibility to go/do :)

Nothing new but Haleakala is cool, the top and the bottom over by Hana. There are '7 pools' or something like that past hana, a series of natural pools going to the ocean that can be swam in. The road to hana took me about 3 hours each way. I second Da Kitchen for some good grub.

Last edited:
Try Priceline for a car. I bid low, start at $11 or $12 per day. I did that back in September for my October trip and ended up paying $12/day. And there is always Kihei car rental, they have a shuttle from the airport. It's just a step up from rent a wreck, and their cars are usually pretty beat up if you ask for their cheapest. But they roll, and you will fit right in with the locals. Their cars are 6-8 years old. We would always wonder what was going to fail or fall off next. But they roll. $17-$20/day. What activities are you interested in (water sports, boat trip, sightseeing, restaurants)? You need to go to the ukulele jam at the old church I north Kihei on Thursday nights at 7p. Also check the schedule for the Maui Cultural Center, they have some great entertainment. Have fun

how much free time are you going to have?
Stay away from the bike down volcano trips. very dangerous. very dangerous.

I second the need to eat at Momma's Fish House. Well worth the drive. I have not been to HI for 4 years and I still salivate thinking about that restaurant��

I'm more interested in restaurants and sightseeing. I'd like to go to some place that I can take photo. I've heard that there is a place the people will go up a mountain and watch the sun rises. But I just don't know where it is, and whether it is dangerous to drive up.

I think I will be going out every late afternoon/evening during my stay (Tuesday-Thursday), and dedicate my Friday and Saturday (and Sunday morning) for traveling.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your advice and recommendation so far :)

You are looking for some place that you can take a photo? Everywhere on Maui is a place to take a photo. You will have a hard time putting your camera away. Believe me, I have books of photos from there.

I'm more interested in restaurants and sightseeing. I'd like to go to some place that I can take photo. I've heard that there is a place the people will go up a mountain and watch the sun rises. But I just don't know where it is, and whether it is dangerous to drive up.

That would be Haleakala. You might want a 4x4 if you plan to go to the top in January and track the weather at the peak during that week. Is there snow there yet? Currently it's 35F with a windchill at 25F. Dress warm!

For eating on a budget if you like local Hawaiian fare, you can check out Aloha Mixed Plate at 1285 Front Street. Dave's Famous BBQ in Lahaina is pretty yummy, at least to me it was.

There are a couple restaurants at the Whaler's Village as well like the Hula Grill and Leilani's. You can go there early and check out the sunset before grabbing dinner.

If you're a golfer, you've got to go play Kapalua's Plantation course. By mid-January, you would have JUST missed the Hyundai Tournament of Champions (once the Mercedes Championships) but you'd be playing it at pretty much tournament level greens and fairways.... if you're a glutton for punishment that is!

Last edited:
Aloha paeataa,
Maui is now my second home and have enjoyed everything about it. Being born and raised in Honolulu, I had my fill of touristy things to do (first time on Maui was April of this year), third trip here and still here till Jan. 7th. Trip to Lahaina is an awesome, beautiful drive along the coast. Front St. is loaded with gift shops and boutiques, and a uke store but can't remember the name. There is also Lahaina Music which has a decent selection of ukes. Bounty Music has a larger selection, and Mele Ukulele in Wailuku is a nice store to check out. While in Wailuku, check out Tasty Crust Restaurant for local style food at good prices (my favorite place to eat).
Although my Fiance and I like to go to Wailea for shopping, we always eat in Kihei, Kahului, or Wailuku.
Have fun on your trip, I always do when I'm here (live in California)............................BO.......................

I want to add a few things on your "To Do" list. 1)Playing along ukulele Thursday night at a church in Kihei (check out 808Uke). 2) Take a walk along the stream in Iao Valley in Wailuku 3) Take a drive "around the head" from Lahaina
thru Kahakuloa into Wailuku 4) Snorkeling off Ulua Beach (next to Wailea). You can hear the whale's singing miles
away when you're underwater 5) Free Hawaiian music at shops at Wailea on Wednesday night and 6) take a whale
watching cruise.
Enjoy.

I have been really impressed how much information I have got from the site. These recommendations are very valuable.

I am compiling my to-do and to-go list for my trip :) It's going to be a great fun! Thank you very very much. I really appreciate it :)

Just to keep you busy while you're there, check out the Slack Key Guitar show at Napili. here's the link:http://www.slackkey.com/events.php. I got to see Ledward Kaapana there in September and it looks like Herb Ohta will be playing as well. They also usually have Da Ukulele Boyz appearing. Looks like shows every Wednesday. Great music! Have a great time!

A suggestion if you make the trip to Hana, plan on stopping Mama's it will be on your way back and a great way to end a day of site seeing. Other suggestons for the trip to Hana, 1) buy the CD that gives you a guided tour by mile marker, it tells you about the areas you are driving through and tells you about places you wouldn't know to find along the way. 2) Stop at either KMart or WalMart before starting the drive, you'll want to get a disposable cooler, ice, lunch and snacks... Other than Hana there are not too many places to stop for this on the way. 3) Get a full tank of gas....

I had forgotten about Bounty Music, they do have a great selection... If you just go to observation station at Halleakakala you won't need a 4x4 but you will want to wear something warm.

I have been to Maui several times and I know a trip to Hawaii is very expensive, not only to get there but to enjoy the islands. My opinion is to get yourself a rental car and tour Maui on your own. Tours will run you on average of $100 per person. Do a tour on 4 days and you will have spent over $700. Rent a car for the week and it will run you around $500.
Just my .02!!
Maui is GREAT and you will have a great time!

This is the car rental company I have always used. You will get a pretty good price on the rental. You can reserve a car and you do not have to put any deposit down. Should you not want to rent the car just don't go to the car rental company and nothing lost. However, always keep checking the prices cause some car rental companies run specials!!

Last edited:
Wow!!! Thank you, everyone. I wish I had more days on my trip to complete the whole list of places and things recommended here.

I will definitely report back what I have done and where I have been from the trip upon my return.

Truly appreciate it.

Top Bottom