PDA

View Full Version : Finished Inlay

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-19-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm showing this finished inlay primarily because I posted an unfinished shot of it last week that wasn't very good.
The materials are comp stone, corian, white and gold MOP, paua ab, koa, and some sort of plastic sample I got from Masecraft. Cutting was done with a KnewConcepts saw, #4/0 Laser Gold blades, and routing accomplished with carbide downcut spiral bits in a Dremel and Stewmac base. Total time, including design time was about 12 hours. This inlay was unique in that I sort of made it up as I went along, using only a preliminary sketch as a guide. There were just too many little parts for me to make a pattern for them. I know that's the right way of doing things but sometimes I have no patience to do things the right way. The finished result is the only important thing.
The subject is an actual beach near me that no longer exists due to Madame Pele's ongoing creativity. I explain it in another post in the "Talk" section.)

Steve vanPelt
12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Amazingly beautiful.

tattwo
12-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Im speechless......beautiful work Chuck

Flyfish57
12-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Not only is your craftsmanship second to none, your artistic eye is as well.

Drew Bear
12-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Wow! Just. Wow! I haven't really found the Fender-like headstock appealing on ukes, but this work of art wouldn't have the same flow & composition on a normal headstock. Truly beautiful and a perfect scene for a ukulele.

Uncle Leroy
12-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Goooolly! Chuck, how do you keep outdoing yourself? That is just amazing. Thanks for posting pics of your work.

dnewton2
12-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Are you sure you couldn't get a little more detailed???

Seriously thought beautiful work.

Pete Howlett
12-19-2011, 10:14 AM
:worship::worship::worship: You klnow what I mean Chuck!

costaricadave
12-19-2011, 11:04 AM
WOW! That is Amazing!

deach
12-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Love the shape of the headstock!

knew concepts
12-19-2011, 11:27 AM
I knew that Chuck was going to replace the image, but this goes way beyond anything that I would have anticipated. My web guy's wife is approaching labor, and Jack will be placing the updated image on the website soon.

Lee (the saw guy)

resoman
12-19-2011, 12:24 PM
That's outrageous!! Love the headstock shape too. I like having the strings being in a straight line from the nut to the tuners too.

joejeweler
12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
WOW! That is Amazing!

I think more amazing,....beyond the fact that Chuck sets a standard of artistic merit and execution at a bar height difficult to near impossible to match,.......is that it took him JUST 12 hours to accomplish!

The only thing more difficult to understand is why his work continues to be offered so "affordably" from the source when the secondary market of his work is justifiably higher!

Obviously,.....his work is heartfelt and a central means to an end,......providing a modest living and bringing much happiness and admiration from both his clientele and piers. A rare breed.............

I can't imagine what these would cost if he had a regular power bill to address! :D

Dan Uke
12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
That should be the Coverpage for the 2013 Calendar!!!!

garywj
12-19-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm still on your email list, right? :-)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
12-19-2011, 03:07 PM
That is simply gorgeous!

You continue to out-do yourself.

Keep up the beautiful work.

A picture calendar of your inlay work would work for me!!

keep uke'in',

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Thank you everyone. It's pretty fun to build an uke and do inlay who's subject is so close to the hearts of both the musician and the builder. I wasn't here prior to 1983 to see the black sand beaches of Kalapana before the lava over ran it but I've been told it was a gorgeous place. It was represented on the cover of many books and guides about Hawaii. It was the quintessential "picture postcard" Hawaii.
here's the uke in it's entirety.

knew concepts
12-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Years ago, I was taking a bronze casting class, and the instructor was really into "art speak". His attitude was that if an object was functional, it could not be art.
I was casting a hand with the palm up, and the fingers slightly curved upward. I was making it to simulate the body parts that were engulfed in the eruption of Pompeii. (after the body disintegrated, the resultant cavity could be filled with plaster and the person exhumed). After I gave it a green patina, I mounted it on a stand for the class exhibition...I got an A. I then asked the instructor if it was art, and he said "Yes, of course". I then placed my business card in the palm, and asked him again if it was art? He was flummoxed.

Chuck...Your art transcends its functionality!

Thank you for sharing.

Lee (the saw guy).

dannyb
12-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Shakka Brah!

Canoe Lady
12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Completely amazing.

tonewood
12-19-2011, 07:18 PM
10 thumbs up Chuck. Excellent composition and tight work.Thanks

wolfybau
12-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Years ago, I was taking a bronze casting class, and the instructor was really into "art speak". His attitude was that if an object was functional, it could not be art.
I was casting a hand with the palm up, and the fingers slightly curved upward. I was making it to simulate the body parts that were engulfed in the eruption of Pompeii. (after the body disintegrated, the resultant cavity could be filled with plaster and the person exhumed). After I gave it a green patina, I mounted it on a stand for the class exhibition...I got an A. I then asked the instructor if it was art, and he said "Yes, of course". I then placed my business card in the palm, and asked him again if it was art? He was flummoxed.

Chuck...Your art transcends its functionality!

Thank you for sharing.

Lee (the saw guy).

thats an interestign story, thanks for sharing, I had a similar debate with my college art professor whan he argues that interior design and was not an art form.

fantastic work Chuck!