New Uke Day...Pono Acacia Baritone

ukulelecowboy

Reaction score
Just wanted to post some shots of my new pride and joy, a Pono Acacia Deluxe Baritone.

I finally finished the initial prep which included:

New Southcoast Linear Strings
MiSi/ L.R..Baggs Pickup installation
"Inlay" adornments on the headstock and fingerboard
A set of Bridge Boneheads
Strap button on neck heel

I shaved the saddle to compensate for the MiSi pickup and used the adjustable truss-rod to tweak the action at the 12th fret to a perfect 1/8". Intonation is spot on and it really plays beautifully. I will record our upcoming gig on Tuesday night and post sample soundfiles at the end of the week. Here are a few sets of photos:

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

Very nice - I like the fingerboard inlays and the grain of the wood.

wow Mike, it's really beautiful mate, can't wait to hear it...

What a beautiful baritone! That's some of the nicest acacia I've seen! I have a Pono mahogany baritone that I really like -- very traditional sound and the neck feels great -- but this acacia is stunning. I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds.

Last edited:
Wow, that is so nice! Are you able to make a sound sample? I'd love to hear how it sounds. :)

Aloha Mike..
Congrats, its a beauty...wow that must be your christmas present...cool....Happy Strummings...

Thanks all for the comments.

The acacia is really striking and the instrument has a slighter brighter tonal quality than my Pono Mahogany but not as much as my Ebony/Sprucetop. Tonight will be my first gig with the Acacia. I'll record it and post some sound files this week.

That's a fine looking' bari. Congratulations!

Gorgeous.....congrats! Pono baritone has to be high on the "best baritone bang for the buck" list.

linear strings on a Pono baritone

Hey, how are you Cowboy? I just stumbled onto your post re "new" Pono baritone. i have been looking at the South Coast website. Stupid question, how do you like those linear strings? are they the unwound linear "c" set they rave about for 20" baritones? How do you tune them with a clip on tuner? I'm new at this; i have no idea. Ive always been dissapointed with conventional baritone strings...Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
Congrats Mike, that is a beautiful uke! Can't wait to hear your sound bites and how it feels for you after playing it for awhile. So much fun getting a new uke to play.

Gonna bump this old thread... did you ever post those audio clips, Mike?

Top Bottom