Of soundholes and neck styles...

finkdaddy

Reaction score
Is there a way to attach a bolt-on neck without the soundhole being in the traditional "centered" position?

My first two uke builds have been with a spanish heel and I like the way it allows me to play with the soundhole position.
However, for me it was a complete pain to sand and finish with the neck attached.

So, I'd like to go with a bolt-on neck next build but I can't figure out a way to attach the neck if I move my soundhole to the side like you see in some Kasha style ukes.

Of course, maybe I shouldn't even be doing such a thing with fan bracing?

~Fred

I do a lot of off centered sound holes. If your neighborhood Home depot store is anything like mine, the front of the store will be crowded with bins stuffed with odd gizmos, wrench and screwdriver sets, etc. Amongst them you may find (as I have) an offset wrench or even better, a flex shaft wrench. I have a collection of about six different kinds that I've picked up at various places. As Kathy M shows, you've just got to be creative. I've taken apart a Dremel flex shaft and made my own tool. I've built ukes where the only real option for attaching the neck was to drill a hole in the bottom and install a pickup as Steve mentioned.

Thank you, guys. :)
I'll have to think about this for a while to make sure I get it right.

Why would it be a pain to finish the uke with the neck attached? You could use a tapered dovetail or many other arrangements to attach the neck. Just sand each part before you put them together and then do the finishing.

Top Bottom