Need some inside tips re: HI

mendel

Reaction score
Ok. In less than a year, things in life should fall into place and my family will be able to relocate. I want to go to HI. Being that i have a wife and kid, i need some help with info. I need to know where to persuade my wife we should live. Huge concerns are:

how good the schools are

affordability

opportunities for employment.

I will have a PhD in IO Psychology at that point as well as a dede or more of experience in both consulting and as an educator. Any recommendations from the wise UU Hawaii Guru's? I almost forgot- my wife is Hispanic and my son is obviously 1/2 white and 1/2 Hispanic. I would rather live in a place where the racism against mainland people is not as prevalent. Open to all islands. Especially interested in the less touristy ones. I doubt I can pull this off, but I want to be as knowledgable as I can in case the opportunity presents itself. Thanks, in advance.

Mendel

As long as you don't look haole and learn a few pidgen phrases, you're fine!! LOL

Last edited:
I take it you've visited HI in the past? Have you also been to the other islands? Each one has its own character and it might be worthwhile to spend a few weeks on each to see which appeals to you. If the opportunity does come up, I say DO IT! :)

Huge concerns are:

how good the schools are

Not good - public schools that is (in general).

affordability

Not good - 99% of everything is shipped in on a barge. With gas prices primed to continue going up it's not a pretty picture.

opportunities for employment

Not good. Things are slow just like everywhere else. If you can find a job, great. But keep in mind that there are plenty of local people out of work.

...Okay...Now that that's out of the way... It all depends on what you bring to it. If you come in with an open mind and a laid back attitude you can make anything happen. If you are pushy about things, it's going to be uphill the whole way. Most 'ukulele players are cool so I'll assume you are a chill person...

I would rather live in a place where the racism against mainland people is not as prevalent. Open to all islands. Especially interested in the less touristy ones.

The less touristy ones are the islands that are probably more "racist". But "racist", in general, is a bad way to put it. The attitude is what bugs the local people. There are people from all over the world in Hawai'i. Opportunities to be racist abound. But that's not how it works. The issues come up when the rich/disrespectful people move in and decide to bulldoze graves and fence in the beach for their huge house. These people usually come from the good ol' US of A and see Hawai'i as a "thing" instead of a sacred land with indigenous people still living here.

Each island has areas to fit any need. It totally depends.

There is a culture here that you just can't pick up from a visit - or five. But any other questions you might have I can try to answer. (See how good I answered your other Qs? :D)

Last edited:
Top Bottom