4 Finger Roll

anintrepidvagabond

Reaction score
hey,

so i've been going through a lesson book and came across the finger roll. I have had trouble even strumming the strings with my ring and pinky finger. I know it will take a lot of practice, but i was wondering if there was any technique or training exercises to help strengthen those fingers for strumming. Thanks for all your help!

Evidently I don't, or I'd be more proficient at it! :D

Use the three-p method.
The first p stands for practise, the second p stands for practise and the third p stands for practise.

I think I'll have to ask someone who is proficient to watch me and make sure I am practicing proper technique (or at least not bad technique). Oddly enough, I can do triplets fairly well.

Take some time to strum with your ring and with just your pinky finger very slowly and quietly. Just down strums. Slowly. Quietly. Next practice, a little less slowly and a little less quietly. Then a little less...

Helps if you've a got a slow, sweet song to play.

the convenient thing about learning this trick is that you can practice it even when you dont have your uke. if you keep rolling your fingers you'll eventually get it.

Sorry, hate to sound like an idiot but whats a 4 Finger roll? Sounds like something you eat!

Is it what Woodshed on Uke Hunt calls a 'Fake Strum', where you pick all 4 strings individually in close enough succession to sound like a strum?

It's more like basic strum I think. Aldrine will do the roll in the intro of some of his play alongs to jazz it up a bit more. Think of it like your doing the finger roll on your desk or table. It may not be the same direction but it will give you the feel of using all or your fingers and makes it easier to apply.

Top Bottom