Size does matter

ukebuilder

Reaction score
If you could only have one what size of uke would you keep. I am not sure myself, my guess would be a concert.

I'll tell you....I LOVE soprano Uke's...the way they sound, the way the look...the portability...BUT, I a starting to get a little arthritis in my right shoulder and it really hurts to play the little ones (which is why my last Sop is on the marketplace as we speak), so I would have to say concert now just as a default so I can keep playing...

I'll tell you....I LOVE soprano Uke's...the way they sound, the way the look...the portability...BUT, I a starting to get a little arthritis in my right shoulder and it really hurts to play the little ones (which is why my last Sop is on the marketplace as we speak), so I would have to say concert now just as a default so I can keep playing...
That is an interesting perspective. I would think the smaller soprano size would be easier for you to play. Do you crouch your shoulder inward holding it or something? What makes concert easier for you?

Would a strap or ukeleash make it easier for you to hold a soprano?

Just something about the angle..played Sop's for years without an issue...found concerts to be almost to big feeling, but now that extra bit of spread is enough to help significantly enough where I can play for hours without issue.... geometry I guess....

Also no issue with Guitar, Banjo..even the Mando (which is more or less like a concert size Uke)

Soprano for me. I do have a concert uke which I do love but will always grab my beater soprano first. Even when I went to the music store intent on buying a tenor and money in my pocket, that's when the beater soprano jumped into my arms instead.
Ernest

Am I the only baritone guy on the forum. Don't get me wrong I love my concert and tenor, but ever since I played with Vaihi Hawaii I fell in love with the rich tone you get from a baritone.

Part of me wants to say concert, but I just know how much I'd miss my little soprano and the gorgeous sound it makes...

Both of mine are concerts. That's what I'd stick with. Even though the friend that borrowed my soprano ran off with it... guess she really liked it!

Super soprano. It is my true uke love...

I play classical guitar, so I prefer a tenor neck...

I got the best of both worlds a beautiful looking/sounding KoAloha koa Soprano with a tenor neck.

It fits perfect in the crook of my arm, and the fretboard is nice and roomy.... And the sound.... Well incredible... In a class by itself!

Going to have to say the one i could not live without is a Baritone...but I would not wanna live without any of them

Aloha,
For me it's the concert. The other sizes have their strong points for different songs that I play. The soprano for traditional Hawaiian songs (chang-a-lang music) as the locals call it, the tenor for picking patterns for love songs and ballads (tuned low G). I have low and high G concerts and they can cover the sound I'm looking for, for any song I wish to play. Also different woods for brightness, sweetness, or warm and mellow, again depending on the song. Also concerts are easier for me on some diminished chords as opposed to the tenor and too crowded on the soprano.........................BO.....................

Sopranos only , anything larger is cheating .

Top Bottom