WTB: Favilla or Harmony Bari/Tenor Uke

johneeeveee

Reaction score
WTB: Favilla, Harmony, Silvertone, etc. Bari/Tenor Uke

... looking for a lower end vintage uke. Mainly concerned with playability and tone... needs to stay and play in tune with decent action.

Thanks in advance for any help - jv

Last edited:
I know about that one and spoke to Gryphon about it... pretty clean with one top crack (glued)... I just can't justify $750 (with shipping) for that instrument.
Anyone have something for a more reasonable price?
Thanks very much - jv

At the risk of stating the obvious, there are always Harmony and Silvertone baritones on eBay. With a little luck and patience, you should be able to snag a clean one for $150 or even less. There seem to be a lot with little play wear on them. The risk is that many Harmony baritones were overbuilt and sound a little muffled. I once bought a Silvertone on eBay, with case, for about $100, and it was one of the best-sounding baris I've ever owned ... Once I put good string (Aquilas) on it.... Favillas come up a little less frequently, but they're far from rare. You could probably get a clean one for around $350. I've found a lot of Favilla baritones to have high action, heavy finish checking and/or missing fretboard dots. If you decide to buy a baritone on eBay, just look for a seller with a return policy in case you don't like the tone or playability. You'll have to pay for return shipping, but you'd have to do that if you returned an uke to a dealer like Gryphon, too. Good luck!

At the risk of stating the obvious, there are always Harmony and Silvertone baritones on eBay. With a little luck and patience, you should be able to snag a clean one for $150 or even less. There seem to be a lot with little play wear on them. The risk is that many Harmony baritones were overbuilt and sound a little muffled. I once bought a Silvertone on eBay, with case, for about $100, and it was one of the best-sounding baris I've ever owned ... Once I put good string (Aquilas) on it.... Favillas come up a little less frequently, but they're far from rare. You could probably get a clean one for around $350. I've found a lot of Favilla baritones to have high action, heavy finish checking and/or missing fretboard dots. If you decide to buy a baritone on eBay, just look for a seller with a return policy in case you don't like the tone or playability. You'll have to pay for return shipping, but you'd have to do that if you returned an uke to a dealer like Gryphon, too. Good luck!

Thanks... I have indeed been looking on eBay as well, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask around here too, and deal with someone who knows what's up with playability, etc (as it's near impossible to get an answer out of most folks on eBay, as most have no idea).
Thanks again and wish me luck - jv

Harmony ukes are not necessarily that good sounding. I liked my Makala better so put my Silvertone for sale at the local store.

I am interested in selling this Favilla...

Serial Number 10014. The wood is mahogany, and has aged to a sweet patina.
This piece appears to be barely used. There is crazing in the finish but no finish is missing. As with anything 60 years old it does have a few minor dings and scratches but no cracks. See attached photos for the complete story....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18552203@N04/sets/72157627185831062/

Also Included is the original baritone method and song book, guarantee card, felt pick and several sets of vintage ukelele strings. The case even still has original packing material.

I had my local luther do a full setup because some potential buyers were worried about the height of the action. Action is now great.

I posted this for sale last summer but could not get anyone to commit. I am looking for around 495 plus actual shipping costs.

Top Bottom