Johnny Foodstamp's George Formby Skillz in ACTION!!!!

johnnyfoodstamp

Reaction score
Very nicely played, sir! You have a new subscriber.

Enjoyed that Mr. Foodstamp, nicely done..... gonna have to keep an eye on your schedule - I've got fambly up in McMinnville, might have to coordinate a visit with one of your shows, see some of those crazy a$$ original tunes up close and personal......

@ Ambient Doughnut - What I'm starting to learn is that the more excited I get the faster the tempo gets and so I have to calm down and concentrate on playing steady. Also, too much split stroke is a bad thing. I used to try to spilt stroke the entire time and that over-does it a little. Throwing it in sparingly actually adds a lot. Wait till right at the end of the solo and then play full blown like you want to the whole time. Oh, and fan stroke in front of the mirror... :)

Sound advice! I can do all the strokes to some degree or other but I've yet to really get the hang of incorporating the fan stroke. I can pretty much get through the window cleaner solo (there's a clip in my youtubes if you can be bothered) but I got that from intensive study of the Peter Nixon video.

Duuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh

So I just noticed I can post the video right here in this window so I am going to copy and paste the videos here so people can just click on them. I know hyperlinks scare people off sometimes.... ;)

Two of Everything

Little Snapshot Album

Oh, and a special treat!!!! This is an mp3 of Little Snapshot Album (sans preamble...) with cello!!!! Did a little live recording last night. I think its the bee's knees.

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/11444483

@ Ambient Doughnut - I watched your video. Very nice with the chord hand. Something that helped me was holding my hand like I'm holding a pick and strumming in a down-motion with the nail of my pointer finger. So when I want to quiet up for the verse, I just use the fleshy part of my thumb in the same downward strokes. The dynamic between thumb and nail is tremendous. Also when you have your fingers in "guitar pick mode" You can just separate them for a nice triplet. I am going to make a video explaining this someday. I have seen the Peter Nixon videos. He's really awesome. Check out ukulelezaza's channel on youtube. I found watching him to be pretty helpful.

Sounds good - I'll have another try of that later and take a proper look at your clips for tips. I'm just beginning to get into using the thumb for the quiet passages - it feels odd at first but you're right, when you switch to the fingernail for the solo the the change is dramatic!

Very Nice, Johnny!! I love the way you play that! It sounds terrific - can't wait to see your 'explanation' video! Ukulelezaza is terrific, isn't he - as well as Peter Nixon & the other 'regulars' that help with the Formby Style on Youtube. WHat a terrific database there is on there! I am still a long way from doing anything like that, but just love watching & listening!

Love the Snapshot Album with cello! It really compliments the uke!
Merry Xmas
Roberta

Last edited:
Well...I suppose those are all right if you like that sort of thing... ;)

Seriously, though, great strumming!

John

Whoa!!!! Go the Foodstamp!!! Man, my eyes and ears feel dizzy, that was AWESOME mate

Very Nice, Johnny!! I love the way you play that! It sounds terrific - can't wait to see your 'explanation' video! Ukulelezaza is terrific, isn't he - as well as Peter Nixon & the other 'regulars' that help with the Formby Style on Youtube. WHat a terrific database there is on there! I am still a long way from doing anything like that, but just love watching & listening!

Love the Snapshot Album with cello! It really compliments the uke!
Merry Xmas
Roberta

Thank you very much. I plan on doing my whole songbook (12 or so songs) with my roommate on the cello and maybe a clarinet or 2 thrown in. We did Why Don't Women Like Me last night and it was a blast. I'll post it soon enough. I agree. The cello sounds great with the uke. Well, Merry End of the Year!

Top Bottom