My own design ukuleles with drawings

Gerad, Your Ukulele's and photos are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them.

Thank's a lot.
Two are played on 21st UU contest thread.
See Ukeval and GluKoz entries.
Bye,
Gerard.

Magnifique! I really love the look for the headstock and fretboard. It reminds me of the gold label Kamaka ukuleles! From the looks of it your workshop area is very nice and clean as well!

Thank you for sharing.

Chris

Pretty uke!

I know this may sound like a petty and silly thing, but I think it would have looked incredibly nice to have the curve on the top of the headstock be an exact mirror copy of the base of the fretboard.

But seriously, that is just a very pretty piece of work there. Congratulations, and well done!

I know this may sound like a petty and silly thing, but I think it would have looked incredibly nice to have the curve on the top of the headstock be an exact mirror copy of the base of the fretboard.

That's not a bad suggestion, but when I looked again I decided I love it the way it is. Reminds me of water, kind of an echo in the shape but very organic in the execution.

A very unique and lovely 'ukulele, Gerard! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

I really like the tentalones you use to align the sides in their exact position on the plates. That wins my "brilliant flash of the obvious" award for the day.:rock:

In love with the design of that longneck pineapple. Marvelous.

Thank's for comments.
Some privates messages asking me if order will be possible.
Only one or two uke for sale a year.
I make one, as my mood show me the way to do the drawing and building.
Only 100% finished, I play one week or two.
Checking all.
And after, if I think it's fine, it's ok for sale.
It's realy difficult to accept order for a no pro uke builder.
Final result is alway surprising...
Bye,
Gerard.

Hi Gerard, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed browsing your forum pages and following the development of your design ideas.

I'm curious about the x-braced concert ukulele and how it ended up sound-wise. In one of the posts in that thread I think you mentioned that the more traditional bracing pattern with just lateral braces was based on economic considerations (if I understood you correctly). I believe, however, that the "build light and build well" adage may also play a role in the choice of bracing patterns. Anyway, based on what I've observed in our own and other people's builds, I would guess that your x-braced concert uke is "over braced". So I'd be particularly interested to know how you like the sound compared, for example, to your fan-braced ukes. We've departed from the standard patterns often enough and still ended up with surprisingly good sound results, at least sometimes.

Last edited:
Hello.
You're absolutely right!
This concert size is over braced.
I have made X brace only to made one...and see.
This uke sound well, but no so louder than fan braced way, but still mellow and warm.
You're right.
Perhaps you saw that my earlier ukes have light braces.
On soprano, and even compact concert body, fan is not the only way:
One brace in the middle axle is ok if top stiffer enough.
But you're right...

Hi Gerard, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed browsing your forum pages and following the development of your design ideas.

I'm curious about the x-braced concert ukulele and how it ended up sound-wise. In one of the posts in that thread I think you mentioned that the more traditional bracing pattern with just lateral braces was based on economic considerations (if I understood you correctly). I believe, however, that the "build light and build well" adage may also play a role in the choice of bracing patterns. Anyway, based on what I've observed in our own and other people's builds, I would guess that your x-braced concert uke is "over braced". So I'd be particularly interested to know how you like the sound compared, for example, to your fan-braced ukes. We've departed from the standard patterns often enough and still ended up with surprisingly good sound results, at least sometimes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom