Augustine strings

AndrewF

Reaction score
I bought an Oscar Schmidt tenor uke, sight unseen, and I'm pretty disappointed with it. So I thought I'd stick to my (Brunswick) soprano for re-entrant tuning and fit out the tenor with a low G string. I discovered that Augustine classical guitar strings bought individually are very cheap, so I ordered a black-label (low tension) G string. I'll let you know how I get on (the set on the uke are Aquilas at the moment). The only problem I foresee is if the string is too fat to go through the hole in the bridge. And, if I'm lucky, the string will be so long it will make two uke strings, but in the case of a tenor uke that's unlikely.

Augustine strings are creating confusion: what this link says about lasers smells stupid (and makes us ask why all the strings are the same price): -
http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/shop/music-shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=394
so I had a look at Augustine's website: -
http://albertaugustine.com/contact.html
and downloaded the high-res images, and it's clear that black are low tension, red are medium, and blue are high tension.

Interesting. Most Oscars seem to sound better "with" Aquilas according to their owners, but the it's a very subjective thing. Good luck finding your "perfect" set of strings.

It turns out I screwed up anyway - I wasn't taking the scale length into consideration. But I don't want to use a wound string, so I'd need to find a nylon unwound D string for guitar, which I'll think about later.

You could try the Fremont Blackline strings, it has a nonwound low-g, I believe thesouthernukulelestore has them in the UK. I ordered just the g-string of ebay, works fine with my Aquila's.

The news so far is that I bought a blue (high tension) G string instead. It seriously needed some saddle compensation, so I stuck a piece of cocktail stick under it behind the saddle. A little bit of care in strumming so that it doesn't boom out too badly, and I'm at least 95% happy with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom