Musician gea rtenor hard case sale $29.99 shipped

strumsilly

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I also needed a tenor hard case... just ordered one!

I have this case in soprano and concert size, and they do just fine, although I had to lower the neck support in both cases. It was easy to do -- just remove the screws holding the neck support in place and cut it down with an exacto knife, and then screw it back in. Five minutes, tops. I assume I'll have to do that for this one, too, but for $30, who cares?

Thanks for the heads up. I also needed a tenor hard case... just ordered one!

I have this case in soprano and concert size, and they do just fine, although I had to lower the neck support in both cases. It was easy to do -- just remove the screws holding the neck support in place and cut it down with an exacto knife, and then screw it back in. Five minutes, tops. I assume I'll have to do that for this one, too, but for $30, who cares?

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I ordered a tenor hard case from Musicians Friend for Christmas and when it came the `ukulele wouldn't fit because of the neck support! I thought that I could fix it, but I don't have a lot of time to mess around with it because it (and the `ukulele) are Christmas presents and I want to keep them a surprise. I thought that I would fix it after Christmas and now you've explained how! Can you tell me where the screws are located? Thanks for your help.

This was a good deal at $40; it's a super deal at $30.

It will depend on how deep/thick your uke is, but an alternative to modifying the neck brace is to add cushioning on the bottom of the case. I have remnant pieces of memory foam from a mattress topper and will wrap the foam with old fleece and velcro the little "pillows" to the bottom to create a makeshift suspension system ala Ameritage.
b6f9c238ff2cb7f27f74355f5c0691f1.jpg

Attachments

• Ameritage10cSM.jpg
    Ameritage10cSM.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 17
You could cushion as Drew suggests, but cutting down the neck support is very easy. There is one screw on either side of the outside of the case: right next to the handle, and exactly opposite on the other side -- these correspond to where the neck support sits inside the case. Unscrew these with a phillips head screwdriver, and make sure not to lose them. You may have to cut the plush liner a bit where the neck support meets the floor of the case, I don't remember, but then you should be able to just shimmy it out. There are a couple of staples on either side that will try to keep it in there for you, but gently pull the support away from them. The support itself has three layers - a core of styrofoam, sandwiched between some balsa wood, and then the fur liner. Peel back the fur liner, and use an exacto knife to cut as much from the foam/balsa support as you need (1/4-1/2 inch will probably do it,) and then slip it back into place. If the staples are still poking through the lining of the case, you'll have to gently ease the support in place. Then screw it back in, and you're done. If you left extra fur on the support, you shouldn't be able to even tell you performed the surgery.

Good luck!

You could cushion as Drew suggests, but cutting down the neck support is very easy. There is one screw on either side of the outside of the case: right next to the handle, and exactly opposite on the other side -- these correspond to where the neck support sits inside the case. Unscrew these with a phillips head screwdriver, and make sure not to lose them. You may have to cut the plush liner a bit where the neck support meets the floor of the case, I don't remember, but then you should be able to just shimmy it out. There are a couple of staples on either side that will try to keep it in there for you, but gently pull the support away from them. The support itself has three layers - a core of styrofoam, sandwiched between some balsa wood, and then the fur liner. Peel back the fur liner, and use an exacto knife to cut as much from the foam/balsa support as you need (1/4-1/2 inch will probably do it,) and then slip it back into place. If the staples are still poking through the lining of the case, you'll have to gently ease the support in place. Then screw it back in, and you're done. If you left extra fur on the support, you shouldn't be able to even tell you performed the surgery.

Good luck!

Wow, that's a great description of how to fix the neck support in the Musician's Gear hard case. I will try this after Christmas (after the gift giving). Thanks so much for your help.

Wow, that's a great description of how to fix the neck support in the Musician's Gear hard case. I will try this after Christmas (after the gift giving). Thanks so much for your help.

No problem. I've done it on two cases and will do it on this tenor currently winging its way from MusiciansGearLand. Glad I could help. Good luck!

Top Bottom