How to properly string a 6-string uke?

fernandogardinali

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a 8 and 6 string ukes from Oscar Schmidt - they are actually the cheaper I've seen and they sound ok. I have strung them with Worth browns.

Watching the Scorcese documentary about George Harrison, I seen for the first time the clip where George plays Between the Devil and The Deep Blue Sea on his 6 string Kamaka. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he used the strings in this order, which the capital letters are low strings: g Cc e Aa (being the low strings wounded). I use g cC e aA.

Also I've seen some ukes stringed without the low A, being the a strings in unison.

Am I using the wrong order? The way George used (or I think he used) is common? Althought I think there will be no big difference on the sound.

Most 6 string ukes are tuned and the C string is actually a Hi C: g (Hi)cc e Aa; you can also tune G (Hi)cc e aa. You might want to check the nut slots to ensure the proper positioning of the strings.

The Kamaka 6-string (Lili'u) has its nut slots cut for: high G, high C, regular(middle) C, regular E, low A, regular A.

From what I've seen and heard, the two most common string arrangements for 6 strings are:

g Cc e Aa
or
G Cc e aa

Top Bottom