General list of songs you should know

luckyends

Reaction score
so i was sitting in my room the other night playing my ukulele and i realized i really honestly didnt know a very wide variety of songs. so i compiled a list of all the songs i knew how to play and started to think of other ones that would kind of be expected for a ukulele player to know how to play or songs that everyone loves to hear...

so any way
can you guys help me with my list and post some songs that you think everyone should know how to play on their uke?

I'm Yours
I'm Yours
and I'm Yours

but seriously, I do my own thing. I don't care about people's preconceived notions about the uke and what I should or shouldn't know how to play.

I'm Yours
I'm Yours
and I'm Yours

but seriously, I do my own thing. I don't care about people's preconceived notions about the uke and what I should or shouldn't know how to play.

but of course for im yours

it is indeed more fun to do your own thing
(vampire weekend ukulele ftw)

but if some one comes up to you and asks you to play a song thats seems to be a general knowlege song that everyone should know i would feel kinda silly (has happened before)

but if some one comes up to you and asks you to play a song thats seems to be a general knowlege song that everyone should know i would feel kinda silly (has happened before)

Someone asked me to play Tiptoe Through the Tulips. I wish I knew how to play SnakeOiler's version.

thanks that helps alot ^_^

but people feel free to post the songs they think are apropriate to know

also how does it change depending on location?

Not many people in Virginia know Drop Baby Drop but they know Tiptoe...

Go to Hawaii, I'm sure a lot of people know Drop Baby Drop.

It's been my experience that most of the keiki in Hawai'i can at least play a few bars of "Surf." Mainlanders generally associate the uke with Iz's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," "Tiptoe," or goofy old songs that their grandfathers used to play. Location is a big part of it.

If you can strum through some Beatles, Jack Johnson, and Bob Marley, most audiences will be satisfied. ;)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Pretty easy to learn, and it impresses the non-believers!

I live in Denver CO so all my friends here want me to play John's songs.
IE: Rocky Mountain High!!!!

Put on your list

Breakdown-Jack Johnson
Free-Donovan Frankenreiter
Humuhumunukunukuapua'-Eric Stone
All three of these are played on the Ukulele so I guess they would be modern must plays!!!!

Last edited:
That's a good party set for luau's, Sally. Me like! Here's Sally's list. Most are in the linked songbook:

http://www.nashukes.com/support-files/8-songsthru200.pdf

Happy Birthday in C
E Huli Makou in F
Jambalaya in C
Somewhere/Wonderful World in C
Hawaiian Wedding Song in C
My Little Grass Shack in F
Little Brown Gal in C
Pearly Shells in G
Tiny Bubbles in G
You Are My Sunshine in C
Five Foot Two in C
White Sandy Beach in F
Hanalei Moon in F
Hawaii Aloha in A
Blue Hawaii in G
Hukilau in F
Lovely Hula Hands in C
To You Sweetheart Aloha in F
Kokomo in C
Opihi Man in G

Someone asked me to play Tiptoe Through the Tulips. I wish I knew how to play SnakeOiler's version.

I confess. I learned to play the Tiny Tim version of Tiptoe Through the Tulips for a play for drama class in college. There I feel much better now... :D

But, I'm afraid to learn it again because I might actually enjoy playing it. :eek:

I confess. I learned to play the Tiny Tim version of Tiptoe Through the Tulips for a play for drama class in college. There I feel much better now... :D

But, I'm afraid to learn it again because I might actually enjoy playing it. :eek:

wow thats the next one on my list to learn

This is my list

About You
Baby Can I Hold You Tonight
Backyard Jam
Brown Eyed Girl
Do What Lovers Do
Fish and Poi
Friends
Heartache
I Don't Wanna Dance
In This Life