Trying Low G for the first time

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have always loved the High G, traditional tuning. Every strum ends on a high note. That’s so nice. But recently I want to learn more fingerpicking and most books don’t teach high G.

I am now stringing a set of low G Ko'olau’s on my SMP-C. I feel like I’m heading to the dark side but I want to learn picking more so thought that a low G would be conducive to learning.

Am I still a good person?

Last edited:
Aloha vanflynn,
I know exactly what you're saying. Just recently tried low g and learned picking patterns to breakaway from the monotenous strumming. Love it on some songs and doesn't sound right with a high g (no bass line). Do whatever feels right to you and your ears, have fun..........................BO.........................

I went to the dark side and haven't looked back. I play low g now at least 95% of the time, primarily because I do mainly fingerpicking. I do find that for strumming, I really like it on jazzy and rock type songs, though the high g still sounds better to me on older standards. Have fun experimenting. :)

I do fingerpicking as well, and I still like the high G ^.^ I've only played one low G, so I don't have a large sample size to compare to (especially since it was a silly no name plywood [not even really a good laminate] tenor in a music shop that wasn't worth the ink the box was printed with that was marked up at 60 bucks...)

Give yourself to the Dark Side.

We shall see. HMS just emailed notification that my Islander Tenor with low G has shipped. ETA this Friday.

I'm primarily a fingerpicker as well. I like both high and low G, although of my 7 ukes, only 2 are low G.

Some tabs work well in either tuning, some don't. John King's "campanella" style really requires high G to sound right.

Initial update. I'm mostly still strumming to stretch in the new strings. The Uke seemed to like the low end. My wife, not so much. "Just go play your guitar. That's not a real 'ukulele anymore"

Will see how picking goes

P.S. both Uke and wife are staying!

Last edited:
Top Bottom