'echo' in Banjo Ukulele

arpie

Reaction score
Hi Guys

One of the Mainland Maple Banjo Ukes that I imported for members of my Uke Group appears to have an 'echo' sound to it.

I have contacted Mike to see if he can suggest a reason for it - or an adjustment to stop it - but as my friend will be around with the uke later today for me to 'check out', I thought I'd throw it open to see if anyone else has any suggestions of overcoming the echo?

Many thanks & Merry Xmas

Roberta

Last edited:
Going to assume it is unlike others you have heard- got a way to post a sound sample? Could be a lousy set of strings...but I gotta hear it first

Thanks for checking in, TCK - I shall try & get a sound sample when she brings it - I noticed it a little when I opened it from newly arrived from the US, but when I adjusted the bridge a little, it seemed to go. Would I be able to just email the sound sample to you? Could you pm me your email? She didn't come today, so looks like it will be tomorrow now!!

It has aquila strings on it from new (received the uke about 1 week ago) - tho I do have some Jasper Happy Strings I could try on it.

Cheerio

Roberta

I am no expert, but I do know that banjos, and possibly banjo ukes are often giving harmonic vibrations. I remember having my 5 string sitting several feet from me, and ringing out a tone in sympathetic vibration from a tone in my speaking voice. Kind of spooky. Maybe a tuning adjustment to the skin, or different strings would help, or a bridge mute. You definitely need an expert to pinpoint the problem. A "hollow" sound is part of the banjo uke profile. A sound file would be helpful.

–Lori

I would cut a small piece of foam padding and slip it under the strings, just forward of the tailpiece. This should dampen any resonances from the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. Easy to remove if it doesn't clarify the tone.

Good luck

Thanks for your suggestions, guys - I got this from Mike this morning ..... So will check all those bits first - Ute should bring it around in a couple of hours.

.....Could be the tailpiece or a string end touching the head or even the string sitting in the bridge. Try putting your ear near the head and then the headstock, etc to see if you can pinpoint the origin. Mike......

cheerio - am expecting 2 more Mainland banjo ukes to arrive this morning (one is a soprano, so I can't wait to try it for the first time) & two more tomorrow, so hopefully everyone has theirs for Xmas!!!

Merry Xmas

Roberta

I'll agree with Lori - I think the head needs adjustment.

While I'm not one of those people who can read the phrase "Tune the head to A4", and have it make any sense whatsoever (I know a drum can be tuned, but I'll be damned if I can hear the difference without a guided tour), I do know from my 5-string banjo and my banjo uke that a loose head, or one that is improperly tightened makes a big difference in the sound of the instrument and I've heard "ghost" tones in the past when they needed adjustment.

-Kurt​

... I remember having my 5 string sitting several feet from me, and ringing out a tone in sympathetic vibration from a tone in my speaking voice. Kind of spooky. ..

Yes, Lori, I have seen that happen with the tuner - when people are talking, the dial is going berserk!! When tuning the banjo Uke, I also gently hold the other 3 strings as each is tuned, as I find that there is some sympathetic vibration from THEM as the other individual string is being tuned, which can put it out just a tad, too!

...."Tune the head to A4",.... Thanks Kurt - does anyone know how to tune a vellum? I've tapped it a few times but get no specific 'note' being recorded on the tuner. The 'tuner' didn't come with the ukes, tho it wouldn't be difficult to do it if you needed.

I'll check for the string ends touching the skin first, then look at other possible causes, as you have mentioned - thanks for that

Roberta

What is the problem?What is the problem?What is the problem?What is the problem?What is the problem?What is the problem?What is the problem?

ha ha ha ha ha! Very funny!

And the other 4 new Mainland banjo ukes arrived today as well!! 4 more happy ukers!!

My friend brought her uke around & after I'd shown her how to tune each string by 'muting' the other 3 strings (or the resonance gives an echo & false reading on the tuner), it really helped her with the tuning. I then found most (if not all) of the echo was probably caused by not pressing the chords firmly enough - so I am pretty happy with the uke now. It IS the maple one - I find it a little less 'chirpy' than the mahogany ones. A little more subdued, even?

I will continue monitoring the other ukes as well, in case there are issues - and have given them Mike's work email address in case of queries!

cheerio & thanks again

Roberta

Roberta,

That's called a wolf-tone or sub-tone in banjos. It's not uncommon and the cause is often a lose part vibrating, or the head is tuned to a tone that causes sympathetic vibration. Tightening the head slightly - a quarter turn - should take care of that particular issue. Otherwise, look to make sure the tailpiece or string ends are all taken care of.

The other thing to remember is that electronic tuners, even when you mute the other strings, aren't ideal for banjo ukes or banjos. Make sure, if you use one, to put it on mic, and not vibrate. That should also help when tuning.

Me, I use a pitchpipe. Old school, eh? :)

Missed your reply Roberta, but it sounds sorted- little bit of a wolf tone going on. If not, just PM me and I will shoot you my addie...but mostly do what ^ this guy said to do- works for me every time :)

Thanks for all the replys guys - I only had the one 'in hand' that still sounded 'hollow', and found a few of the head nuts were a bit loose, so tightened them up & it is sounding WAY better!! I'll visit the other 3 new owners in the next few days (who's ukes I wasn't 100% happy when I handed them over) & take my trusty No 6 Sidchrome spanner with me, to adjust theirs as well!!

Merry Xmas one & all

cheerio

Roberta

I've put a little 'blurb' together for others that may be new to banjo ukes using some of your info & hope it may help them in the first week or so here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...-Banjo-Uke-This-may-help!&p=828495#post828495

Last edited:
OK!! I THEN realised that both the Maple Banjo Ukes had a totally different bridge on it than the Mahogany ukes! The Maples (both soprano & concert) had a heavier set bridge that was about 1/4-1/8" higher than the 'slimline' ebony grover bridge that was on the Mahogany ukes. I also think they had rosewood 'tops' not ebony with very thickset legs. The differences are easy to see here:

uke bridges x 2.jpg

I have replaced both with the ebony Grover ones (thanks Mike) and they DO sound a lot better!! The intonation however on the Concert Maple now is a bit off on the G & A strings.

On the G string when you go up the scale, it skips a note at about the 5th fret and on the A string it does the same on about the 8-9th fret! I moved the bridge around a fair bit, checking harmonics along the way & could get G C & E OK to the 12th fret but the A was very difficult to get in line at any given time.

Eventually, I gave it back to my friend, happy that 'general chords' can be played well & bright - and am now looking for an answer to the
'missing note' on the G & A strings!:(

Any suggestions on what is causing this 'note skipping'??

Both Maple uke owners are SO much happier with the new sound - so a lot of it must have related to the bridge! Maybe now, I could 'undo' some of the 'screwing up' of the nuts??

The Mahogany ukes sound 'brighter' than the Maple - I am assuming this is linked to the different woods - would that be correct?

Many thanks

Roberta

bin the "jasper happy" strings for a start. that will help.

unless you want it to sound worse?

he, he, Simon - i never fitted them, tho am tempted to put them or other 'softer ones' onto the little lady's banjo uke who has bad arthritis - I think they'd be softer than the Aquilas!

Will check out your blogs!

cheers

Roberta

WOW! Amazing ukes!

Any idea on the 'note skipping'? WHat causes it?

Last edited:
I got some tips from Banjo Hangout which said to tap the 10th fret wire, supporting the neck of the uke on a bench protected with towels & then to support the body as well - whilst tapping the said fret with the HANDLE of a small hammer!!

I did this & checked the note - it had returned!! :) I had to tap the other side of the fret as well, but this was easily done, and the uke is back to it's owner, being played happily!

Since replacing the bridge with the shorter narrower Grover one, there was some slight buzzing on the G string if 'picked', but if strummed it was fine! I tapped the 5th fret too & the G string no longer misses either (tho it was only a portion of a note, not the whole note!)

So far, happy with that!

cheerio

Roberta

My friend with the Soprano Maple has had no problems with hers since the bridge being replaced. :)

Funny ... I replaced the wooden back of my Goldtone banjolele with a metal tin lid in order to get MORE echo...

....Funny ... I replaced the wooden back of my Goldtone banjolele with a metal tin lid in order to get MORE echo.......

Now THAT really IS funny, Ian!! Not sure if 'echo' was the right term to use then ..... as this was more annoying than gratifying! The owners are happier now, so play it more, so all is good! :)

Roberta

Top Bottom