PDA

View Full Version : Do you use FedeEx to deliver your ukuleles?...

ricdoug
12-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Quick service to your door:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57345876-71/computer-monitor-tossed-over-fence-by-fedex-man/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Doc_J
12-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Quick service to your door:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57345876-71/computer-monitor-tossed-over-fence-by-fedex-man/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Wow. I am speechless. I'm sticking with UPS.

ricdoug
12-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Over a million hits already today. This will definately hurt FedEx's business:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUDTPbDhnA

Daysailer
12-20-2011, 05:22 PM
..my friends 1966 Martin d-18, owned 46 years since new, was
left at a luthiers's for fret repair, with dual tire tracks accross the
box, smashing to oblivion that priceless (to him) guitar.

Saw this same video on an Airgun fourm today.
heres another tossor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw-zxJI1YOo&feature=related

Here is a song about a Taylor guitar and United Airllines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Ukulele, guitar and rifles share a common shipping logistical problem.
The neck/headstock joint and the rifle stock wrist area are a weak spot
that suffers whiplash damage if packed badly AND mishandled.

Also, long narrow boxes are more likely to jamb or stop a conveyer handling
system. (think airline baggage pickup)
Normal, not long and narrow, boxes are less likely to catch and fall off of those systems.

I had a classic, not made for 20years, match grade Feinwerkbau air-rifle, irrepairably damaged recently from this same kind of careless shipping. :mad:

Drew Bear
12-20-2011, 05:31 PM
C'mon. What's with the FedEx bashing recently? I've also read stories of rogue postmen or UPS delivery guys. I've had good experiences with all the major package deliverers over the years. Aside from the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes, FedEx currently has the lowest rates for most ground deliveries. I wouldn't hesitate to have a uke shipped via FedEx.

Stuff happens regardless of which carrier you choose. That's what insurance is for.

ricdoug
12-20-2011, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=Daysailer;826809]Saw this same video on an Airgun fourm today.
heres another tossor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw-zxJI1YOo&feature=related

From Steve in CT on the Yellow OT? I have a nice collection of airguns, including match air pistols. ric

ricdoug
12-20-2011, 05:39 PM
C'mon. What's with the FedEx bashing recently? I've also read stories of rogue postmen or UPS delivery guys. I've had good experiences with all the major package deliverers over the years. Aside from the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes, FedEx currently has the lowest rates for most ground deliveries. I wouldn't hesitate to have a uke shipped via FedEx.

Stuff happens regardless of which carrier you choose. That's what insurance is for.

This video has obviously done FedEx a lot of harm. Not only will that employee lose his job, he could lose a lot more if sued by FedEx. Ric

Daysailer
12-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes. that was a thread on the Yellow. R-U SteveinCT ?
I also posted a seperate thread along these same lines, on the yellow. Same screen name.

Current AG quiver (hy-jacking my own thread): Walther LGR-U, FWB124, HW30S, '71 and '75 Sheridan Blue Streaks,
Crosman 766, three 1377's, Slavia ZVP pistol. Like accuracy, reasonable power, and pumpers...+ Safety.

Drew Bear
12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
This video has obviously done FedEx a lot of harm. Not only will that employee lose his job, he could lose a lot more if sued by FedEx. Ric
I don't doubt any of that. It's a nightmare for FedEx. I'm simply saying that you get bad employees in any company. This is not a systemic problem within FedEx.

ricdoug
12-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Yes. that was a thread on the Yellow. R-U SteveinCT ?
I also posted a seperate thread along these same lines, on the yellow. Same screen name.

Current AG quiver (hy-jacking my own thread): Walther LGR-U, FWB124, HW30S, '71 and '75 Sheridan Blue Streaks,
Crosman 766, three 1377's, Slavia ZVP pistol. Like accuracy, reasonable power, and pumpers...+ Safety.

I know Steve Shin very well, Daysailor. I'm ricdoug in CA, too. PM me for a simple, no cost mod for the 1377 triggers. The IZH-46M is my favorite for 10 meter. Ric

Daysailer
12-20-2011, 05:58 PM

Not just bashing Fedex. But they were the ones who ran over the box and delivered it, "on the run" with the tire tracks on the box.
Luthier didnt get a knock, but did see the truck pulling out of his parking area, just before he found the box with kindling in it.

"...FedEx currently has the lowest rates ..."
Some times we get what we pay for.
Insurance cant replace a High School graduation gift, played, gigged, and loved for 40+ years.

Doc_J
12-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Here's a picture of the box for a uke Fed Ex delivered to me a couple weeks ago.

BTW FedEx emailed me it was delivered and at my front door at 8:00 pm. The Fed Ex guy shows up a half hour later (after I filed a claim for a missing package) with this box. The uke was OK.

Gadzukes!
12-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Pray that you never have a bad employee.

I don't fault FedEx for this guy's behavior. How they handle it is what counts.

Drew Bear
12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Insurance cant replace a High School graduation gift, played, gigged, and loved for 40+ years.
Sorry for your loss, Daysailer. If I had a similar experience I'd probably also be pretty sour about the carrier. Can't argue with personal experience.

All my shipments are work related, so no sentimental value to worry about. It's pure business. FedEx has the best rates for my use case and they have proven to be more reliable than either USPS or UPS. So my experience is I pay less for better service. YMMV, etc.

Daysailer
12-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for understanding.

My take in most cases, most shippers could do better with thier packageing. It would go a long way to prevent damage,
even when the box is mishandled by machinery or man.

Cant defend against being run over though.
2+ ton truck vs. cardboard, foam and contents ..result.. truck will win.

Merry Christmas to all here.

TCK
12-20-2011, 06:49 PM
I had the tweaker Fed Ex felt was "up to snuff" steal a hard drive from me. Also had him inventory half my record collection from my front stoop...not cool as they are in shelves and he had to sit there for quite some time (while the Meth wore off). Took me a year to get my money out of it. Will never ship with them again, have not had the same experience with USPS and UPS (Brown Santa).

DeVineGuitars
12-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I will still take Fedex over UPS any day of the week. For every one video like this one of Fedex there are probably twenty of UPS.
And let's not even talk about the USPS...

mr moonlight
12-20-2011, 08:32 PM
There are bad eggs in every shipping company and mishaps happen. When it comes to instruments, I'd never ship anything that is irreplaceable. It's better to fly it yourself. Buy an extra seat if need be. If it is replacable make sure you fully insure it against breakage and box it up well.

DeVineGuitars
12-20-2011, 09:52 PM
There are bad eggs in every shipping company and mishaps happen. When it comes to instruments, I'd never ship anything that is irreplaceable. It's better to fly it yourself. Buy an extra seat if need be. If it is replacable make sure you fully insure it against breakage and box it up well.
Wise words.

ukeeku
12-21-2011, 01:41 AM
I only use FedEx. There are three reasons.
1. Fedex has locations that are open past 5pm
2. When you put to much postage on a package and bring it in and the weight is off they will charge you less, UPS will not
3. UPS has this fun little place in Atlanta that every package is dropped 6 feet to another conveyer belt for sorting

ukuhippo
12-21-2011, 01:52 AM
So FedEx tosses them over the fence, and UPS drops them 6 feet. What does USPS do? And do you have more flavours in the US?

mm stan
12-21-2011, 01:53 AM
I had a package come to me by a shipper that had creases all over the box, so bad that the shipping tape failed and the top was open....not funny at all and it was a light package too..

dnewton2
12-21-2011, 02:12 AM
I have shipped ukes via Fed ex without issue. I have recieved ukes from UPS, USPS and Fed Ex without issue. I guess it is just luck. It is really hard for me to blame a company on one persons actions, until it happens to me.

ogg
12-21-2011, 06:14 AM
I think the video is fake. Would Fedex even accept a shipment in a box like that? And he tosses that box over the fence and out of camera range like it was empty. And why is the truck parked so far away we can't see the plates? I think someone is going to seriously regret that little youtube prank!

OldePhart
12-21-2011, 06:32 AM
I will still take Fedex over UPS any day of the week. For every one video like this one of Fedex there are probably twenty of UPS.
And let's not even talk about the USPS...
I agree. I have had only one package damaged by Fed Ex - many by UPS and several by USPS. Any company of that size is going to have a bad employee or two - what counts is whether package abuse is endemic with the carrier and what they do when something is damaged or lost. I have had a very bad experience trying to collect on UPS insurance claims. So I try to avoid using them.

What I found strange in that video though was that the package was in it's basic display carton. Those cartons are meant to protect monitors that are packed on strapped or wrapped shipping pallets - not shipped individually. So, at least half the blame for this incident goes to the retail outfit that shipped the monitor. The factory box should have been inside another container with suitable padding, and if it had been it's pretty likely it would have survived even being dropped over the fence. (Not that I'm excusing the behavior of that driver.)

John

OldePhart
12-21-2011, 06:42 AM
I think the video is fake. Would Fedex even accept a shipment in a box like that? And he tosses that box over the fence and out of camera range like it was empty. And why is the truck parked so far away we can't see the plates? I think someone is going to seriously regret that little youtube prank!

Fake was my first thought but I've watched the video several times in full screen - the way the box hangs and swings it's definitely not empty (or if it is the guy is an extremely good actor). The box has what appears to be a typical FedEx shipping label on the end. The blurry image, unreadable plate, etc., is actually pretty typical of a security camera. This appears to have been taken by a "gate camera" that people use on gated estates and gated coummunities to visually confirm whether they want to buzz the vehicle in.

Dan Uke
12-21-2011, 10:28 AM
It's legit...here's Fedex reply ""The situation has now been resolved to the customer’s satisfaction and we are handling the employee according to our disciplinary policies...While we continue to be surprised about the behavior shown, we know this is an aberration, and is not reflective of the outstanding FedEx customer service that makes us proud around the world," FedEx said in a statement released Wednesday.

Pippin
12-21-2011, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=Daysailer;826809]Saw this same video on an Airgun fourm today.

From Steve in CT on the Yellow OT? I have a nice collection of airguns, including match air pistols. ric

I used to shoot competitively with airguns and blackpowder rifles. I still have an RWS and a match pistol.

ukuhippo
12-21-2011, 10:45 AM
The thing that bothers me most is that are probably lots of unemployed people that would love to work at FedEx and wouldn't even think about treating packages like that. I hope he got sacked.

SailingUke
12-21-2011, 10:48 AM
This has happened to me on several occasions.
I live at xxx W. ? Blvd, FedEx delivers the package to the door step of xxx E. ? Blvd.
They show the package delivered, so no effort is made on their part with a claim.

The last time the driver swore he left in on my porch, I walked down to the empty house on the E. blvd and there was my package.
They did not even take the time to try to find it. BTW, the label clearly read W. blvd.

OldePhart
12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
It's legit...here's Fedex reply ""The situation has now been resolved to the customer’s satisfaction and we are handling the employee according to our disciplinary policies...

Which translated means that if this occured in Texas or most other "at will" states the driver is out looking for another job, and probably not eligible for unemployment benefits after being fired for cause. In other states, Fed Ex will probably have to offer him "more training" and if they succeed in getting rid of him at all he'll be eligible for unemployment. Frankly, I suspect this is one of those latter states and the guy was trying to get fired.

Just my $0.02.

John

Doc_J
12-21-2011, 01:13 PM
So FedEx tosses them over the fence, and UPS drops them 6 feet. What does USPS do? And do you have more flavours in the US?

Wish I knew what USPS does.
There's a USPS package I'm waiting on that still shows Tues. Dec. 20 as the estimated delivery date as of the evening of Dec. 21.
So at least I know what happened to Mr. Peabody's WABAC (Way-Back) machine (joke for old geezers).

philpot
12-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Well, I guess it depends on the area and the employees in that area. I've never had any problems with either company (UPS/FedEx) in all the orders I've had. I've only received one ukulele, but the box was flawless when I got it. Never any issues.

ricdoug
12-21-2011, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=ricdoug;826820]

I used to shoot competitively with airguns and blackpowder rifles. I still have an RWS and a match pistol.

Diana's been around a long time. Is the match pistol a springer, CO2, PCP or SSP, Mickey? Ric

Tor
12-21-2011, 10:57 PM
What the US needs is some regulations (sorry guys, I know you don't like those kind of things over there, but it _does_ help..). Where I live a package which is meant to be signed for can't be left behind without it being signed by the receiver (and no, the neighbour isn't acceptable). All those package-left-on-porch cases just never happens.

The only type of packages that can be left without signing are those small enough to go into the mailbox (unless they're _meant_ to be signed - then there'll only be a note in the mailbox and you have to pick it up at the post office).

-Tor

Hippie Dribble
12-22-2011, 12:43 AM
What the US needs is some regulations (sorry guys, I know you don't like those kind of things over there, but it _does_ help..). Where I live a package which is meant to be signed for can't be left behind without it being signed by the receiver (and no, the neighbour isn't acceptable). All those package-left-on-porch cases just never happens.

The only type of packages that can be left without signing are those small enough to go into the mailbox (unless they're _meant_ to be signed - then there'll only be a note in the mailbox and you have to pick it up at the post office).

-Tor
yeah, the same 'rules' of delivery pretty much apply across Australia too...

Doc_J
12-22-2011, 02:26 AM
For an extra fee, all the US delivery services will do such a 'signature service'. I think that it is an extra $8 for UPS. If it is insured with USPS it requires a signature.

But, since most folks aren't home during the weekdays, it is usually preferred that packages can be left at the front door. I've never had one stolen yet.

glass
12-22-2011, 02:48 AM
I work for FedEx as a driver. First off I have seen UPS throw the packages as well, secondly that was an Express driver and he works for FedEX. There are different types of FedEX first is the orange EX they are express, the Green EX is for ground and home delivery which are independently owned-thats wheere I work fora contractor who owns 10 routes! There are also critical which is blue I think but the top are orange-express and green-Ground and home delivery.

Last night I had delivered three ukuleles all seemed perfectly fine and they were just packed in the normal triangular boxes. Now I personally would take that box and put it in another box with peanuts or whatever to make sure nothing happens to the ukulele. On a side note I had a ukulele delivered once and we were going out of town I had the mail on hold and still the mailman delivered it to my doorsteps. Luckily we got home just before a downpour or who know what would have happened!

OldePhart
12-22-2011, 05:57 AM
For an extra fee, all the US delivery services will do such a 'signature service'. I think that it is an extra $8 for UPS. If it is insured with USPS it requires a signature.

But, since most folks aren't home during the weekdays, it is usually preferred that packages can be left at the front door. I've never had one stolen yet.

But UPS often ignores this. I can't count the number of packages I've had left on my doorstep that "required signature." This includes the last two (quite expensive) ukes I've purchased. Sometimes they don't even bother to knock before scurrying away. I found out one KoAloha was delivered when I checked the tracking number online - it was reported as delivered (and signed for). Opened my front door and sure enough, there it was. The really annoying thing is that often I'm at home when this happens (I work from home most days).

I don't recall if I've had a Fed Ex package that required signature that was left. I don't think I've ever had a USPS package that required signature left on the porch.

glass
12-22-2011, 06:16 AM
two years ago we had a driver working for the contractor I do and he signed for a $10,000 painting he said it was big and asked for adult signature and he was an adult so why not?

philpot
12-22-2011, 06:27 AM
But UPS often ignores this. I can't count the number of packages I've had left on my doorstep that "required signature." This includes the last two (quite expensive) ukes I've purchased. Sometimes they don't even bother to knock before scurrying away. I found out one KoAloha was delivered when I checked the tracking number online - it was reported as delivered (and signed for). Opened my front door and sure enough, there it was. The really annoying thing is that often I'm at home when this happens (I work from home most days).

I don't recall if I've had a Fed Ex package that required signature that was left. I don't think I've ever had a USPS package that required signature left on the porch.

the only package I've ever received via UPS that required signage (my Kamaka) was brought to the house mere minutes before we arrived home, and they took it back and left a note on the door that said they couldn't deliver it without a signature. I was severely frustrated, but looking back, I appreciate it not being chucked on my doorstep.

Drew Bear
12-22-2011, 06:28 AM
What the US needs is some regulations (sorry guys, I know you don't like those kind of things over there, but it _does_ help..). Where I live a package which is meant to be signed for can't be left behind without it being signed by the receiver (and no, the neighbour isn't acceptable). All those package-left-on-porch cases just never happens.I don't know where you live, but I would venture to guess the rules are obeyed more strictly because of cultural differences rather than government regulations. You could institute the exact same regulation/rule/law in Japan and the U.S. and get very different results.

BTW, I don't know why so many people seem to think the U.S. is lacking in "regulations" (a very broad term). I would be hard pressed to find one single thing in my daily life that is not regulated in some way.

Plainsong
12-22-2011, 06:58 AM
In the US, both public and private delivery services have a signed for option, yes. It's just that it can often just be ignored. Like Drew said, more a cultural difference. It's part of the charm, figuring out where your package could be. ;)

OldePhart
12-22-2011, 12:50 PM
BTW, I don't know why so many people seem to think the U.S. is lacking in "regulations" (a very broad term). I would be hard pressed to find one single thing in my daily life that is not regulated in some way.

+1 on this. The U.S. is one of the most over-regulated, government-intrusive places in the world. Some states and even municipalities are worse than others but just the burden of federal regulations on everything imaginable is absolutely amazing. There are hundreds of pages of federal regulations just covering the required dimensions of commodes in public facilities - as in - any facility that might conceivably be open to the public, including the loo marked "employees only" in a convenience store, for example.

It's no exageration that the huge decline in small family-owned businesses in the US is the fault of government over-regulation, not the proliferation of big box stores. Wanna know why all the jobs are going overseas? It ain't always for cheap salaries (sometimes it is, but not always). More often, it's that a small company just can't operate in the US without risking running afoul of gov't regulations and over-zealous inspectors.

Okay, off my soap box now. :)

mm stan
12-22-2011, 02:13 PM
I had a Fed ex guy come this morning and lighty knock on the door.... and he left real quick to his truck....I opened my window so he could see I was home ......I knew he saw.
his truck was pointed directly at my window and he was in the front drivers seat...but just drove away... sh#t... PO'D ....big time...:(:(

Plainsong
12-23-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm with you, Stan. Delivery guy scanned my incoming instrument mic as recipient not at home, which is horsepuckey, we've both been home all day! Itella at its finest. Now he's supposed to leave the package notice, and you get it at the post office, only he skipped that step. The last time, he left three notices, and left the "at the post office by.." time blank on all three.

Tor
12-23-2011, 01:09 AM
How does the online tracking work in the US?
The postal system online tracking here will show the actual signature, with the time in the online tracker after it's signed for (digitized image of the signature, or, before they started doing that, the transcribed name). In the actual post office you now have to sign with a 'pen' on a digitial device directly.
If the online tracker doesn't show the name (digitized or not) of the person signing for the item it would be a very visible glaring omission.. well, maybe you're right and it's all just down to cultural differences, but maybe it helps that everyone can see if the guy did his job or not.

-Tor

SailingUke
12-23-2011, 05:09 AM
This has happened to me on several occasions.
I live at xxx W. ? Blvd, FedEx delivers the package to the door step of xxx E. ? Blvd.
They show the package delivered, so no effort is made on their part with a claim.

The last time the driver swore he left in on my porch, I walked down to the empty house on the E. blvd and there was my package.
They did not even take the time to try to find it. BTW, the label clearly read W. blvd.

FedEx strikes again, just yesterday they left a package for me at the wrong address.
Fortunately I set up delivery email alert and was able to go retrieve my package.

hoosierhiver
12-23-2011, 05:26 AM
I use UPS and have had pretty good success, any of the options can and do have bad employees. My biggest beef recently is with USPS, they often fail to update tracking information making thus that service useless.

Drew Bear
12-23-2011, 06:17 AM
I think USPS only provides true "tracking" information for Priority Mail and up. Delivery Confirmation sometimes provides similar tracking data, but their only promise is to confirm that the package was delivered. I'm only guessing, but during the holiday rush I'll bet they don't bother to scan anything less than Express Mail. Even Priority Mail does not have a guaranteed delivery date.

Dan Uke
12-23-2011, 07:04 AM
For me, USPS has horrible tracking but haven't had any issues. My worst experience is UPS and Fedex. I've had them ship my golf items to a golf store a few buildings down because they didn't pay attention to the address but saw the golf box. They stated business was already closed when the time stamp clearly showed we are opened. They stated that they could not locate the building when I work in a twelve rise office building. I think the delivery guys do mark things so they don't get dinged for not delivering on time but rather put excuses down. I dont know about these days but they have different guys for ground and air shipment so that causes confusion as well.

Doc_J
12-23-2011, 08:03 AM
For me, USPS has horrible tracking but haven't had any issues. My worst experience is UPS and Fedex. I've had them ship my golf items to a golf store a few buildings down because they didn't pay attention to the address but saw the golf box. They stated business was already closed when the time stamp clearly showed we are opened. They stated that they could not locate the building when I work in a twelve rise office building. I think the delivery guys do mark things so they don't get dinged for not delivering on time but rather put excuses down. I dont know about these days but they have different guys for ground and air shipment so that causes confusion as well.

You're right about the different people for FedEx Ground and FedEx Next Day. The problems I had with FedEx were with the FedEx Ground.