Do you use FedeEx to deliver your ukuleles?...

Fedex is always my last choice, since.....

..my friends 1966 Martin d-18, owned 46 years since new, was
left at a luthiers's for fret repair, with dual tire tracks accross the
box, smashing to oblivion that priceless (to him) guitar.

Saw this same video on an Airgun fourm today.
heres another tossor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw-zxJI1YOo&feature=related

Here is a song about a Taylor guitar and United Airllines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Ukulele, guitar and rifles share a common shipping logistical problem.
The neck/headstock joint and the rifle stock wrist area are a weak spot
that suffers whiplash damage if packed badly AND mishandled.

Also, long narrow boxes are more likely to jamb or stop a conveyer handling
system. (think airline baggage pickup)
Normal, not long and narrow, boxes are less likely to catch and fall off of those systems.

I had a classic, not made for 20years, match grade Feinwerkbau air-rifle, irrepairably damaged recently from this same kind of careless shipping. :mad:

C'mon. What's with the FedEx bashing recently? I've also read stories of rogue postmen or UPS delivery guys. I've had good experiences with all the major package deliverers over the years. Aside from the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes, FedEx currently has the lowest rates for most ground deliveries. I wouldn't hesitate to have a uke shipped via FedEx.

Stuff happens regardless of which carrier you choose. That's what insurance is for.

C'mon. What's with the FedEx bashing recently? I've also read stories of rogue postmen or UPS delivery guys. I've had good experiences with all the major package deliverers over the years. Aside from the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes, FedEx currently has the lowest rates for most ground deliveries. I wouldn't hesitate to have a uke shipped via FedEx.

Stuff happens regardless of which carrier you choose. That's what insurance is for.

This video has obviously done FedEx a lot of harm. Not only will that employee lose his job, he could lose a lot more if sued by FedEx. Ric

Yes. that was a thread on the Yellow. R-U SteveinCT ?
I also posted a seperate thread along these same lines, on the yellow. Same screen name.

Current AG quiver (hy-jacking my own thread): Walther LGR-U, FWB124, HW30S, '71 and '75 Sheridan Blue Streaks,
Crosman 766, three 1377's, Slavia ZVP pistol. Like accuracy, reasonable power, and pumpers...+ Safety.

This video has obviously done FedEx a lot of harm. Not only will that employee lose his job, he could lose a lot more if sued by FedEx. Ric
I don't doubt any of that. It's a nightmare for FedEx. I'm simply saying that you get bad employees in any company. This is not a systemic problem within FedEx.

Yes. that was a thread on the Yellow. R-U SteveinCT ?
I also posted a seperate thread along these same lines, on the yellow. Same screen name.

Current AG quiver (hy-jacking my own thread): Walther LGR-U, FWB124, HW30S, '71 and '75 Sheridan Blue Streaks,
Crosman 766, three 1377's, Slavia ZVP pistol. Like accuracy, reasonable power, and pumpers...+ Safety.

I know Steve Shin very well, Daysailor. I'm ricdoug in CA, too. PM me for a simple, no cost mod for the 1377 triggers. The IZH-46M is my favorite for 10 meter. Ric

Not just bashing Fedex. But they were the ones who ran over the box and delivered it, "on the run" with the tire tracks on the box.
Luthier didnt get a knock, but did see the truck pulling out of his parking area, just before he found the box with kindling in it.

"...FedEx currently has the lowest rates ..."
Some times we get what we pay for.
Insurance cant replace a High School graduation gift, played, gigged, and loved for 40+ years.

Here's a picture of the box for a uke Fed Ex delivered to me a couple weeks ago.

BTW FedEx emailed me it was delivered and at my front door at 8:00 pm. The Fed Ex guy shows up a half hour later (after I filed a claim for a missing package) with this box. The uke was OK.

P1030310.jpg

Last edited:
Pray that you never have a bad employee.

I don't fault FedEx for this guy's behavior. How they handle it is what counts.

Insurance cant replace a High School graduation gift, played, gigged, and loved for 40+ years.
Sorry for your loss, Daysailer. If I had a similar experience I'd probably also be pretty sour about the carrier. Can't argue with personal experience.

All my shipments are work related, so no sentimental value to worry about. It's pure business. FedEx has the best rates for my use case and they have proven to be more reliable than either USPS or UPS. So my experience is I pay less for better service. YMMV, etc.

Thanks for understanding.

My take in most cases, most shippers could do better with thier packageing. It would go a long way to prevent damage,
even when the box is mishandled by machinery or man.

Cant defend against being run over though.
2+ ton truck vs. cardboard, foam and contents ..result.. truck will win.

Merry Christmas to all here.

I had the tweaker Fed Ex felt was "up to snuff" steal a hard drive from me. Also had him inventory half my record collection from my front stoop...not cool as they are in shelves and he had to sit there for quite some time (while the Meth wore off). Took me a year to get my money out of it. Will never ship with them again, have not had the same experience with USPS and UPS (Brown Santa).

I will still take Fedex over UPS any day of the week. For every one video like this one of Fedex there are probably twenty of UPS.
And let's not even talk about the USPS...

There are bad eggs in every shipping company and mishaps happen. When it comes to instruments, I'd never ship anything that is irreplaceable. It's better to fly it yourself. Buy an extra seat if need be. If it is replacable make sure you fully insure it against breakage and box it up well.

There are bad eggs in every shipping company and mishaps happen. When it comes to instruments, I'd never ship anything that is irreplaceable. It's better to fly it yourself. Buy an extra seat if need be. If it is replacable make sure you fully insure it against breakage and box it up well.
Wise words.

I only use FedEx. There are three reasons.
1. Fedex has locations that are open past 5pm
2. When you put to much postage on a package and bring it in and the weight is off they will charge you less, UPS will not
3. UPS has this fun little place in Atlanta that every package is dropped 6 feet to another conveyer belt for sorting

Top Bottom