handtools for ukulele building

bert

Reaction score
i play the ukulele as a hobby and figured out i want to build my own since there are no luthiers here in luzon,philippines that do ukulele and there are tons of mango and mahogany lumbers at the back of our house

i just wnt to ask what handtool is used to make the thin topboard (is this term correct?) of the ukulele out from a 2.5x2.5x2 (ft) piece of lumber

powrtools not an option i cant buy them and i dont care if it takes me a year to cut that topboard

also, can papertree be used for ukuleles/guitars?

p.s. im totally new to this luthier-ing, and the lumber has been air-dryed already

I've been using a japanese kataba pull saw to cut 1/8" slices from stock that is about 4" thick. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I've gotten a few decent pieces. I then sand these pieces to make them thinner. Make sure you get as close to quarter sawn as possible.

What's a Papertree? An instrument can be made with Mahogany, Koa, Rosewood, pallet wood, cigar box Spanish Cedar, or just about any medium density hardwood. You can also use softwood (Spruce, Cedar, etc) for the Top but it's not traditional.
In addition to the saw the simplest and least expensive hand tool you need is a Card Scraper for smoothing. Other tools I would use are Handplanes if you aren't sucessful getting a smooth surfice with the saw. A Stanley #5 for inital leveling work, #4 for finish work and a Block plane for end grain. A way to sharpen them will also come in handy.
Good luck!

thank you so much for the replies

about the paper tree, my mom always called them papertrees but i think they are asian paperbark birch or something close to that. The lumber of the "papertree" is white and as equally heavy as a same sized mahogany lumber

That video is so depressing - he is a master craftsman working with a custom made saw that is razor sharp. The saw, most importantly, has no set so you see him set up the cut very carefully. It also took him a fair amount of time just to cut that one veneer! He has also done it many times and like me and my videos, makes it look easy. Handsawing any timber is a very high order skill. I suggest you try and find someone with a bandsaw....

I found the video inspiring, what was depressing was when I tried it myself.

I agree, if you can get access to a bandsaw, take advantage of it. However, it certainly is possible to do it by hand, it just takes some practice and patience. And for me, because I still get some variation in width, I've been aiming for 1/8", and then sand down thinner. This wastes a lot more wood than with a bandsaw.

That video is so depressing - he is a master craftsman working with a custom made saw that is razor sharp. The saw, most importantly, has no set so you see him set up the cut very carefully. It also took him a fair amount of time just to cut that one veneer! He has also done it many times and like me and my videos, makes it look easy. Handsawing any timber is a very high order skill. I suggest you try and find someone with a bandsaw....

It's not as bad as Pete says, honestly. I followed that video, using a cheap panel saw, and I can manage it. Less efficiently, much more waste, and more cleaning up afterwards. But it's doable.

The magic trick is getting one flat surface to mark from. Then take your first slice, flatten the cut surface and take the second. You can get a very fair bookmatch (by amateur standards).

It is a lot of work - it takes me over an hour to cut a soprano top and back.

If I'd paid a fortune for the wood I'd want a skilled bandsaw artist to cut it for me to reduce the waste (2-3mm per cut after cleanup). But I'm using reclaimed wood, so for me it's just time.

I reckon it took me two or three attempts to make clean(ish) cuts, so don't use your best wood for your first tries. And go slow - whenever I rush I make ugly cuts.

wood is not problem for me I guess it all comes down to practice and patience but hey itll be worth it

Top Bottom