Is the Ukulele easy?

xtoph

Reaction score
I think as a community we should agree to stop saying that the ukulele is "easy to play". In some cases, I think it sets people up for disappointment when they think they've found the shortcut to instant musical success, but are heartbroken when they can't play like Jake after 2 months. But on the other hand, a large part of my local uke community (or ukemmunity ;)) are very happy plunking along with their C Am F and G chords. I guess I'm stuck between being happy that more people are making music a part of their life, and being annoyed that their ambitions stop at the 3rd fret.

Thoughts?

I think it's all relative. Certainly playing like Jake is not easy, but anyone who expects to be that good in two months is a bit naive and setting themselves up for disappointment. But in comparison to, say, the harp, or the violin, where you need years just to be halfway to not horrible? The ukulele is a breeze.

My favorite part of the uke is that it's something for everyone. For the super musical, it's a challenging medium. For the less musically inclined, it's an easy fun way to make and enjoy music, both alone and with others.

When someone asks me if it's an easy instrument, I say it's easy to get started but there is a lot of room to advance. I'll then show them the C chord and the Am chord to demonstrate how easy it is...then I'll bring up a video of Jake to show them how far they can take it.

I think it's all relative. Certainly playing like Jake is not easy, but anyone who expects to be that good in two months is a bit naive and setting themselves up for disappointment. But in comparison to, say, the harp, or the violin, where you need years just to be halfway to not horrible? The ukulele is a breeze.

My favorite part of the uke is that it's something for everyone. For the super musical, it's a challenging medium. For the less musically inclined, it's an easy fun way to make and enjoy music, both alone and with others.

Yes, very well said! My favorite part is that for the individual player, the ukulele can be as easy (almost) or challenging (definitely) as you want it to be. Really, just a kind of restatement of your comment.

I think as a community we should agree to stop saying that the ukulele is "easy to play". In some cases, I think it sets people up for disappointment when they think they've found the shortcut to instant musical success, but are heartbroken when they can't play like Jake after 2 months. But on the other hand, a large part of my local uke community (or ukemmunity ;)) are very happy plunking along with their C Am F and G chords. I guess I'm stuck between being happy that more people are making music a part of their life, and being annoyed that their ambitions stop at the 3rd fret.

Thoughts?
As long as they are happy just on the third fret that is no reason to be annoyed. They enjoy it just as much as you on the 12th.

It's very easy to start to learn on and bash out a tune. It stands to reason in that it only has four strings to worry about. However when you start learning how to pick out something complex like Bohemian Rhapsody it becomes a very difficult instrument to play. Once again because you only have four strings to work with.

That said if playing brings a smile to yours and others faces then job done!

It's like saying that playing golf is easy. You just take a stick and hit a little ball. How tough is that?

The short answer that I give to people is this, "The ukulele is as difficult to master as any other musical instrument, but it is probably the easiest instrument in the world to begin on. You can play your first songs on it less than an hour after picking it up.״

The short answer that I give to people is this, "The ukulele is as difficult to master as any other musical instrument, but it is probably the easiest instrument in the world to begin on. You can play your first songs on it less than an hour after picking it up.״
Well put, I would add that some people are more musically inclined than others and for them it may be easy. For me it is a labor to get better, but at the same time when I get home from work and strum a couple simple songs it sure does help the stress of the day melt away.

I never say its easy to play, I just say its easy to start out with. All instruments demand practice and dedication, and the uke is no different.

It's quick to pick up but will take a lifetime to master!

I never say its easy to play, I just say its easy to start out with. All instruments demand practice and dedication, and the uke is no different.

It's quick to pick up but will take a lifetime to master!

Excellent response!!!!

Whenever asked if the uke is easy to learn, I always use chess as a comparison.

Yes, the 'ukulele is a relatively easy instrument on which to begin to learn. But it is very difficult to truly master.

Like others have said, that's really its charm. It offers something for everyone, and allows you to play and enjoy at your comfort and skill level. I'm not aware of any other instrument that is as catholic, democratic, or approachable as the 'ukulele while still maintaining the potential to be among the more complex ones out there.

I have been playing for 6 months and when you read about how easy it is to learn the uke you could be misled into believing exactly that, its not naive, its because some people out there have never looked at, let alone picked up a musical instrument before trying their hand at our beloved uke, i agree with most posters on here how easy it is to learn a simple nursery rhyme and how hard it is to become proficient, but had it not been advertised as 'easy' i may never have picked one up and started to learn if you put your mind to it and really want to learn to play the uke, it could be the best thing you have ever decided to do, my only regret is that i didn't start learning it when i was a kid

I think was Arthur Rubinstein who once said this about Mozart, which also applies to the Uke, "Mozart is easy to play poorly, but difficult to play well".

It is simple to strum a simple one to three chord song, and some can do it in minuetes..however to master it...takes alot of patience, practice and persistence...and not all can even accomplish it. In comparison to other instruments, it is fairly on the easy scale.....what about it that is good is it is a fun and happy instrument and most get addicted to it..

Last edited:
Look at all the senior groups that have popped up all over the world.
Strumming a few chords on some great old tunes while voices ring is making beautiful music.
As others have said the ability to get started and have fun can be achieved easily.
The ukulele is a very social instrument and playing in a group is fun.
Those wishing to play simple open chords and sing are a big part of our community.
IMHO no one should ever be put down for wanting or not wanting to learn.

BTW some of those cool chord melodies happen above the 3rd fret, there is life there.

I always say, with a smile, that, like Paul's quote, "It's easy to play... but hard to play WELL!"
That's the joy of it, for me.
I can go from a two chord ditty to rocking out without changing instruments.

Look at all the senior groups that have popped up all over the world.
Strumming a few chords on some great old tunes while voices ring is making beautiful music.
As others have said the ability to get started and have fun can be achieved easily.
The ukulele is a very social instrument and playing in a group is fun.
Those wishing to play simple open chords and sing are a big part of our community.
IMHO no one should ever be put down for wanting or not wanting to learn.

BTW some of those cool chord melodies happen above the 3rd fret, there is life there.

I love your answer. Not everyone wants to put hours and hours into practice. There are other things in life too. It's easy to pick up and learn a few chords and make music and have fun in a way you'd never thought you could. DH is getting his first ukulele today. And I want him to learn as much or as little as he would like.

Mousie

The uke is extremely easy compared to most other instruments to become good enough to get enjoyment playing and playing with/for others. Take the flute, trumpet or violin and you will spend more time just trying to get a decent sound out of it. To get really good at any instrument takes years and thousands of hours of dedication. There's a big difference between being able to have fun and enjoy and instrument and being a proficient player.

Top Bottom