Recommendations for an 8 string uke

byjimini

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an 8 string uke later next year (once I've paid off my Compass Rose...); Kamaka don't do one with a slotted headstock, there's a company in New Zealand which makes them but I'm after something a little more 'traditional', and Kala has one but only im mahogany.

I played a Kala Acacia soprano in York a few months ago and loved it, so I'm really looking at their tenor in the same wood but it's only a 4-stringer.

Any other companies out there that make 8 string ukes?

I've never owned a Kala so I wouldn't know. :p

I wanted to go for a Kamaka (jump straight in the top) but I don't like it without a slotted headstock, and those white/pearl tuners look god awful to me.

Some companies that make 8-string ukes (in rough order of price, low, to high):

Oscar Schmidt
Lanikai
Kala
Pono
Mele
Kelii
G-String
Kanile'a
Kamaka

- FiL

I've had two 8-strings from Lanikai and love both (the first got smooshed in an accident).

For the price, they're amazing. I play most of my ukuleles on a regular basis, but the 8-string is my go-to ukulele, always.
The pickup is good and it sounds great plugged in, but sounds fantastic unplugged as well.

And if you order it from Mim, she'll set it up for you so it feels like buttah!

I've fallen so deeply in love with my 8-string that, when I do get a custom made, it's gonna cost me more... 'cuz I'll be getting two of them. One four string, one 8 string.

First I am not a Lanikai fan at all, but every 8 string lanikai that I have played was pretty sweet. I have played a Mele 8 stringer and have owned 2 of their 6 stringers so that would be my choice. I did own a Pono 8 stringer and I didn't bond with it that well. I went back to the 6 stringer (which I love) and fell back in love with the 8 stringer after playing 4 of those lanikais.

In a "better quality" uke, I prefer a 6 string...especially with some of the alternate string setups. (i.e. Savagehenry and ???)

First I am not a Lanikai fan at all, but every 8 string lanikai that I have played was pretty sweet. I have played a Mele 8 stringer and have owned 2 of their 6 stringers so that would be my choice. I did own a Pono 8 stringer and I didn't bond with it that well. I went back to the 6 stringer (which I love) and fell back in love with the 8 stringer after playing 4 of those lanikais.

yeah, dat pono, the buggah eat strings fast...

Get a Kamaka, they are the best.

Some companies that make 8-string ukes (in rough order of price, low, to high):

Oscar Schmidt
Lanikai
Kala
Pono
Mele
Kelii
G-String
Kanile'a
Kamaka

- FiL

Thank you. Think I'll be going with Kanile'a, once I've paid off the CR. :)

Top Bottom