force feeding people ukulele

ukudaily.co.uk

Reaction score
my brother and his wife said they didn't have any ideas for what they want for Christmas, so as a keen ukulele player I did what any normal ukulele player would do, I have bought them his and hers Mahalo's. One blue, one purple, is this wrong, I know how much joy it has bought to my life.

I already have this line ready "Jesus wouldn't have requested gold, frankincence and myhrr (spelling!?!?) would he, but they turned out good gifts"!

Is it wrong that I am forcing them in to it?

Not everyone is cut out for the ukulele. I've been trying to get my husband to learn to play so he can play with me and he's just not interested. It's a generous gift, so they may feel obligated to pick it up. If they are like me, they will never put it down even for a day. Let's hope the uke bug bites them. Good luck.

Maybe present it as your attempt to share happiness and joy that the Uke has brought you.

my brother and his wife said they didn't have any ideas for what they want for Christmas, so as a keen ukulele player I did what any normal ukulele player would do, I have bought them his and hers Mahalo's. One blue, one purple, is this wrong, I know how much joy it has bought to my life.

I already have this line ready "Jesus wouldn't have requested gold, frankincence and myhrr (spelling!?!?) would he, but they turned out good gifts"!

Is it wrong that I am forcing them in to it?

Hah!

I'm in a similar situation. I've got a really sweet concert Tall Grass bamboo uke ready for a nephew's xmas gift, but I honestly don't know if it will catch with him or not. I tried to be sly and find out if he's interested at all, but I got no clear indication one way or another. He does have an interest in music, and since the uke is still kinda trendy, maybe he'll give it a go. After all, what is in and not is very important to 12 year-olds.

I decided I'll give it to him, along with some lessons when he wants. If it doesn't stick, then I'll offer to swap it out for something else, like a PS3 game or something.

Hah!

I'm in a similar situation. I've got a really sweet concert Tall Grass bamboo uke ready for a nephew's xmas gift, but I honestly don't know if it will catch with him or not. I tried to be sly and find out if he's interested at all, but I got no clear indication one way or another. He does have an interest in music, and since the uke is still kinda trendy, maybe he'll give it a go. After all, what is in and not is very important to 12 year-olds.

I decided I'll give it to him, along with some lessons when he wants. If it doesn't stick, then I'll offer to swap it out for something else, like a PS3 game or something.

Tell him I'll swap it for 2 PS3 games.

That's the thing about presents. On the one hand, you're jazzed about something and want to share that with someone else. On the other hand, the whole point is to get them something they'll like.

When you focus only on the first thing, well, I"m sure you've gotten plenty of gifts like that yourself. :) The whatever-diet book from that aunt who lost weight on the whatever-diet and won't shut up about it. The [insert random religious book] from that cousin who has found [insert random religion here] and wants everyone else to find it too. The niece with all the "Twilight" posters in her dorm who gives everyone "Twilight" stuff...

You don't want to be that guy, trust me. Before giving someone something you're into (whatever it may be), make sure they're into it to, or at least have a high probability of getting into it.

(Anyone remember that episode of "Frasier" where his son wants an Outlaw Laser Robogeek action figure, but Frasier wants to give him a bunch of educational crap no kid would ever want? Required viewing for any present buyer...)

JJ

They will like it or they wont. However they wont know until they try it. I bought my sister in law a uke this year. I didn't know what to get and she has asked me over and over if it is hard to learn etc... So wham.. she's getting one.
I hope she likes it but if not nothing I can do..

Good luck, maybe at least one of them will enjoy playing it. Don't forget to print some chord charts and maybe uncle rods boot camp to go with it.

I don't think you are forcing them. Cause if they don't like it, they wont use it. One never knows with any gift though. Let us know how it turns out!

I agree completely with JJ, presents should be what people actually want, not something that you like and want to turn others on to, regardless of what their taste is <g>. If you want to turn folks on to the uke then buy several inexpensive but decent ukes and loan them out to potentially interested parties. I've never owned Dolphins but I love vintage ukes and my guess is that you can buy a decent 50's-60's yeoman's vintage uke like a Silvertone or Harmony off ebay for around $50 (I paid $42 for mine). Just a thought. g2

Unless they show actual honest intrest, I will not get them a uke..and that means just no nice talk to me..action speaks alot more than words..they have to ask that they want to try it too..

I agree with mm stan.

I always practice quietly or go in another room when people are over because I know not everyone appreciates the Ukulele. Even though they know I enjoy it, I do this out of consideration.

My brother in law started playing Banjo about five years ago and he brought it to a few Sunday dinners but, I'm glad he stopped bringing it because I can't stand the sound of the banjo.

If anything, those ukulele's will make nice room decoration's.

Last edited:
It's a shame ukuleles aren't very popular because you have to have a very specific type of personality to enjoy them. Most guys don't think ukes are very manly and would be embarrassed to be seen playing one.

I don't understand why, but some people are really annoyed by the way they sound too. I just kind of assumed that the sound of a ukulele was universally-liked when I started playing.

Unless they show actual honest intrest, I will not get them a uke..and that means just no nice talk to me..action speaks alot more than words..they have to ask that they want to try it too..

And even then you should refuse them three times before finally agreeing. You know, like converting to Judaism. :)

JJ

I have done the same as some others, purchased an ukulele Red and Purple for my son and his wife for xmas, to go with their VW camper that they have restored. I think it may be fun to pass the time in our wet days in England when camping. Ill find out shortly as they are visiting on boxing day. LOL. Hopefully, fingers crossed. If not one can be an ornament and i will have the other as a spare for me. Sorted.

Top Bottom