UkuleleUnderground. I need your help!

Eavorclear

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first off, I'm sorry I don't post much on these forums. I apologize, and I don't want to seem like I'm using you, but I really need your help.
These are the greatest ukulele forums and I had a very important question and I knew the people here would be able to answer it.

Now on to the question,
I'm stuck between purchasing a 6 string ukulele and an 8 string, and they have to be Acoustic-Electric.
From my research I pretty much have only a few choices,

The Lanikai LU-6A/E / LU-8A/E

and

The Lanikai O-6A/E / O-8A/E

Now here's the deal, I play in a band with a guitar and drums. Which ukulele would be good compliment to the guitar, but full enough to sound good by itself (Sometimes we play shows without my guitarist).
And if you have had any experience with these ukuleles it'd be great if someone can fill me in on how well they sound and all that good stuff.

That's pretty much it, please help, UU!

TL;DR:
I'm torn between a 6 and 8 string A/E ukulele, which sound good when paired with a guitar but able to hold itself on its own, and if you've had any experience a review of the above ukes would be great.

Hello everyone, first off, I'm sorry I don't post much on these forums. I apologize, and I don't want to seem like I'm using you, but I really need your help.
These are the greatest ukulele forums and I had a very important question and I knew the people here would be able to answer it.

Now on to the question,
I'm stuck between purchasing a 6 string ukulele and an 8 string, and they have to be Acoustic-Electric.
From my research I pretty much have only a few choices,

The Lanikai LU-6A/E / LU-8A/E

and

The Lanikai O-6A/E / O-8A/E

Now here's the deal, I play in a band with a guitar and drums. Which ukulele would be good compliment to the guitar, but full enough to sound good by itself (Sometimes we play shows without my guitarist).
And if you have had any experience with these ukuleles it'd be great if someone can fill me in on how well they sound and all that good stuff.

That's pretty much it, please help, UU!

TL;DR:
I'm torn between a 6 and 8 string A/E ukulele, which sound good when paired with a guitar but able to hold itself on its own, and if you've had any experience a review of the above ukes would be great.
Lanikai O8 is a great uke I have it and love it .

Man, that thing is beautiful, wow, I'm stunned.
The only question is, have you ever played with a guitarist and does it sound well when paired?
I think that's the most I'm worried about when it comes between the 6 and 8 string.
But man, that video pretty much almost has me sold.

I have played a 6 string, 8 string and 4 string with a guitarist. I currently only play a 4 string. I didn't bond with my 8 string but I loved my 6 string. with those two ukes you are looking at, I'd go with the 8 string. I don't particular care for the lanikai 6 string. But that 8 string is sweet and I have played 4 of them.

I have played a 6 string, 8 string and 4 string with a guitarist. I currently only play a 4 string. I didn't bond with my 8 string but I loved my 6 string. with those two ukes you are looking at, I'd go with the 8 string. I don't particular care for the lanikai 6 string. But that 8 string is sweet and I have played 4 of them.

The O-8?
Or are you talking about the LU-8?

I had an O8E I purchased from a drop shipper. It came with the best setup I've ever seen on any inexpensive instrument. Plugged in it rocked. Unplugged it had all the sustain and volume you'd expect from trying to play a wet dog.

If you're mostly looking to play plugged in I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Unfortunately, I'm a mostly acoustic player so I gave it away and wouldn't touch another with a ten-foot pole (or 7 foot czech).

John

Are you going to be mostly strumming? Picking? Both? My son has a new 6 string with what some call "8 string tuning" and it's awesome. I like a full sounding 6 better than the 8, but you have to compare two like instruments.

I do mostly strumming, our guitarist does all of our solos, and sometimes, just sometimes I solo, but I have another uke for that.
It's just A guitar solo backed with a 4 string uke and full drums doesn't sound all that great to us.

I've looked at prices and realized that O-8Es are completely out of my price range, so the choices are now

O-6A/E
LU-6 A/E
LU-8 A/E

Last edited:
I do mostly strumming, our guitarist does all of our solos, and sometimes, just sometimes I solo, but I have another uke for that.
It's just A guitar solo backed with a 4 string uke and full drums doesn't sound all that great to us.
get the O8E.

i likey that 8 string it is sooo sweet, oh here we go again UAS, down boy, DOWN!!!

I'm honestly kind of leaning towards the LU-8 because it's a darker wood, would there be a huge difference between the tones of the two? we have some nice snappy Jazz tunes we play, but also we have some more mellow sounds, kind of like Beirut, to put it into perspective.

I'm honestly kind of leaning towards the LU-8 because it's a darker wood, would there be a huge difference between the tones of the two? we have some nice snappy Jazz tunes we play, but also we have some more mellow sounds, kind of like Beirut, to put it into perspective.
the O8 is solid top laminate back and sides the LU-8 is all laminate .

Top Bottom