An interesting evening

Nickie

Reaction score
The other night, while caring for a very elderly patient in an ALF (Assisted Living Facility), I had an intersting experience. I always carry an ukulele to work with me. I might get it out, and I might not, depends on the atmopshere/demand. That night, we had a resident who was highly agitated, and restless. She was not my patient, but visited our room several times. I redirected her out gently each time. The facility staff warned me that she hadn't slept in 5 days, and was combative. She didnt' swing at me. Finally, when there was nothing more I could do for my charge, I told her that if she'd go to her room and lie down, I'd play her a song, and got the uke out. She agreed, and high tailed it there, and plopped on her bed. I started to play, and before I knew it she was telling me she wanted me to turn it down so she could sleep. I tucked her in, kissed her forehead, and sneaked out. The staff were amazed. I told them the uke was a magic uke. When I left, she was still sawing logs. The aides thanked me, and siad "What are we going to do after you take your ukulele and leave?" I smiled, and said "Get your own." and walked out the door to go home, satisfied with my shift. I absolutley adore the ukulele now!

Good story to share and motivate us to learn more from the uke, thanks!

i really enjoyed your story Nickie, ukes come in handy now and again

Nice story, thanks. My uke Meetup group played Christmas music for the residents of a local long term rehab hospital and the nurse said it was the latest they ever stayed up. Everyone had a ball...staff, patients, and us. Maybe ukes are magic!

Ukes are definitely magic, as it music in general. It's a real shame more care facilities haven't figured that out.

I've read accounts of people in nursing homes who haven't uttered a word in ages, but who suddenly start singing along to some old song a visiting musician is playing. It really is amazing.

JJ

I love to hear things like this. Thank you for sharing this story with us.

So, Nickie, your uke playing puts people to sleep, huh : ) lol

Keep up the good work. Your co-workers will love to see you and your uke coming in for your shift!

Perhaps you should name your uke "Dream-maker".

Keep uke'in',

Awesome story, thanks for sharing and look at the peace and magic you brought to everyone! Music is fabulous isn't it?

You rock Nickie!!

Thanks, everyone. And I think Uncle Rod just named my new Kala... Dream Maker! Thank you!

Top Bottom