Ukulele group for kids

Nickie

Reaction score
Since I am now the third ukulele player to perform at my church, I asked my minister what she'd think about me starting a music/ukulele group with the Youth Department. I could buy a few Dolphins myself, and ask for sponsors to help out.She said she is all for it, as long as there are two adults present. Does anyone have any suggestions?

some start them early but being a kid expert (at least I have 3 degrees that tell me I am) I found 8 and older worked best for me. I also recommend having the kids buy their own uke and tuner. You will save a lot of time that way and they respect the ukes better when they are invested. Other than that, teach them fun songs and easy songs. I never taught theory or any of that. We learned chords and songs.

Thanks. I do like the idea of teaching them just chords and songs. The thought of trying to teach them any music theory gives me the heebeejeebees!

Hi Nickie, good on you for considering teaching kids to play ukulele. I'd advise getting the Church to buy a set of ukuleles and electronic tuners for use and instruction, get the kids engaged. A bit of initial effort to begin with yes, but once engaged kids will then look at buying their own. I get the kids in my groups to put down a small deposit for the use of a ukulele, with the deposit refunded when the ukulele is returned in good condition - worked every time. I'd also consider buying a few sets of strings as back ups. Teach older kids how to change them so that they can help out if required. My suggestion is play by chords, forget the theory at the moment, and the kids should leave their first lesson at least being able to play one or two songs that have only one chord. And the most important key ingredient is FUN! Any further questions, please ask.

Top Bottom