NUOOD!! (New Uke On Order Day)

markallen

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I wanted to share with everyone my "official" placing of an order for a wonderful ukulele made by Jake Maclay from Hive Ukuleles. Jake has been absolutely great to work with and very helpful throughout the entire process.

www.hiveukuleles.com

This uke will be a "Hornet" size/shape with an Adirondack Spruce top and figured mahogany back/sides. The rosette will be inlaid with spalted maple to compliment the same woods on the rosette of my Kwasnycia SJ guitar. There will be a blank fretboard except for a MOP inlay to match a portion of my company logo on the 12th fret. Current wait time for one of Jake's instruments is about 10 months. I'm very proud to be able to commission this instrument and am really looking forward to receiving it. Here is a picture of the rosette:

IMG_4483.jpg

Now I just have to find the patience to wait....

Mark

Congrats Mark! Jake's ukes are beautiful. It will be a long wait, but worth it I'm sure. See if you can get any progress pics from Jake... Especially the rosette - when he gets t that step.

Dean

Last edited:
Mark,
A Hive ukulele is definitely on my "must have" list. Obviously, the craftsmanship is stellar, but the story behind the ukes is very compelling to me as well. I love the fact that Jake has had the opportunity to develop his own sizable talents whilst working for Rick Turner and that, apparently, Rick has been so supportive of Jake's venture. I think the end result speaks volumes about both of them.
One of the things that led me to buying a Compass Rose is the contributions Rick makes to this Forum and the fact that Jake works for him and likely had a significant hand in it's creation.
Please, keep us up to date on the progress. Until I decide to pull the trigger on a Hive of my own, i will have to live vicariously through others... :drool:. I look forward to seeing the finished work and hearing your impressions (and a sound sample, of course).

Dean

Hi Gang,
I wanted to share with everyone my "official" placing of an order for a wonderful ukulele made by Jake Maclay from Hive Ukuleles. Jake has been absolutely great to work with and very helpful throughout the entire process.

Mark

Sorry, Im a little late to the conversation.
Thanks for the kind words Mark. This uke should be a real beauty, and I'm really looking forward to the build process.

Mark,
A Hive ukulele is definitely on my "must have" list. Obviously, the craftsmanship is stellar, but the story behind the ukes is very compelling to me as well. I love the fact that Jake has had the opportunity to develop his own sizable talents whilst working for Rick Turner and that, apparently, Rick has been so supportive of Jake's venture. I think the end result speaks volumes about both of them.
One of the things that led me to buying a Compass Rose is the contributions Rick makes to this Forum and the fact that Jake works for him and likely had a significant hand in it's creation.
Please, keep us up to date on the progress. Until I decide to pull the trigger on a Hive of my own, i will have to live vicariously through others... :drool:. I look forward to seeing the finished work and hearing your impressions (and a sound sample, of course).

Dean

Hey Dean.
Yeah, I have learned most of what I know about the ukulele from Rick Turner, and for that I am eternally grateful. The vibe at his shop is truly something special.....buzzing with creativity, and the freedom to express and execute new ideas. And then there is Rick....he knows more about stringed instruments than anybody i have ever met.

I hope your enjoying that Compass Rose.

Top Bottom