Cheapskate's bending iron

Dougf

Reaction score
Since I already had the galvanized vent pipe, this setup cost about $10. Seems to work pretty well on the thin pieces, about 1/16" thick.

bending-iron.jpgbending-iron2.jpg

I thought you weren't supposed to breathe in fumes from heated galvanized pipe/metal? (Eighth grade metal shop.)

I've always thought that is a hazard of welding galvanized metal. Check this out:

http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/weldhlth.html

"Inhalation of zinc oxide fumes can occur when welding or cutting on zinc-coated metals. Exposure to these fumes is known to cause metal fume fever."

Bending is done at around 300F, and both gas and electric welding are done at several thousand degrees.

I've always thought that is a hazard of welding galvanized metal. Check this out:

http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/weldhlth.html

"Inhalation of zinc oxide fumes can occur when welding or cutting on zinc-coated metals. Exposure to these fumes is known to cause metal fume fever."

Bending is done at around 300F, and both gas and electric welding are done at several thousand degrees.

Good point. 8th grade metal shop was 35+ years ago.:)

Nice!! Even cheaper than mine. I splurged on a flange for the pipe so I could get more clearance around the pipe and get a more comfortable working height.

Attachments

• Hot Pipe.jpg
    Hot Pipe.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 83
I've often thought isn't it a little dodgy having a wet piece of wood near to mains lecky in the form of a light bulb? Or am I missing something?

What wattage is the bulb?

200 watts. I wouldn't claim it worked great, but it worked. I might try steel pipe with a blow torch next time.

Out of curiosity, what diameter pipe did you guys use?

That pipe is 1-1/4" (that's standard NPT steel water pipe from the hardware store. The actual outer diameter is more like 1-3/4") Its a good size for bending uke sides and the union fitting at the end fits my heat gun perfectly.

You'd be better off using brass, copper, aluminum, or stainless steel to prevent staining of the wood. Steel, even galvanized, is likely to cause pretty deep black and blue stains in many woods. Also there are heating elements that screw into standard ceramic light sockets.

The first one I made was a 2 inch pipe with an electric barbeque starter. It works well and is still going strong. You need to carefully crimp the barbeque starter a little to fit it into the pipe. It might work better to crimp an aluminum pipe into an egg shape with a heavy vise. The barbeque starter would then fit in easily and you would have different curves to bend on which is desirable. You need a dimmer with a barbeque starter or it will get too hot.

I was on the Rockler site today and saw this:

Steam Bending Kit and Plan

So I thought... this has potential. Then it dawned on me that I have a clothes steamer that I could probably McGyver into service.

From what I've read, I don't actually need a heated bending assembly. Could I steam the wood and then clamp it in the form to dry overnight?

Top Bottom