Strings on your Ohana SK-38?

hibiscus

Reaction score
Which strings do you think make the SK-38 sound most authentic?
Thank you:)

I guess "authentic" would mean real gut strings? I'm not using those, just but I do like some Martin fluoros.

Thank you for your opinion. My SK-21 came with Aquilas, and I like it better with Worth Clears. I'm expecting my SK-38 shortly, and I hope I like the Aquilas, but so far I have changed almost every uke to something else.

The Aquilas that came stock with mine were not at all like Aquilas. They were all rubbery and bouncy and badly intonated. (Is that a word?) Anyway, YMMV, either I keep having luck with bad Aquilas coming stock with ukes, or there is actually some difference between what you buy and what comes with. Who knows?

Yeah I've ranted about it, it seems all over the internet. On the Kala Mighty Uke, the Sailor Brand soprano, and the sk38, the stock aquila strings were just beyond the worst kind of stock string you could imagine. No sustain, quiet, poor intonation, not in tune with itself.. just awful. Then you switch strings to see what the uke really sounds like. The Sailor and Ohana both currently have Martin Fluoros, and the Sailor also did great with Southcoast strings. The Kala rings nicely with some Blacklines.

Meanwhile, order a set of Aquilas and put them on the Kanile'a, and they feel and sound like they should do, twice, three times over. No issue with weirdness out of the package. Is it that they're using the new formula on stocked ukes and I really really don't like it? Only they know, I suppose.

I don't have an SK-38 but I do own a bunch of vintage ukes dating back to the 20's and up to the 50's Martin, Gretsch, Favilla and Gibson and my "go to" strings are Fremont Blacklines in M. I don't know if this matches the original sounds of these ukes -- as an early poster said that would be obtained by gut strings. But then again, original doesn't necessarily mean best. I also like Oracas, which seem to have a slightly rounder sound but the difference is on the level of personal preference. Some folks like Worth browns and I have some but haven't tried them yet, and the new Southcoast strings have gotten some good reviews. I don't like Martins which sound deader to me than Fremonts or Orcas. I don't like Aquilas either, at least not in comparison to the strings mentioned above.

Thank you for your opinion. My SK-21 came with Aquilas, and I like it better with Worth Clears. I'm expecting my SK-38 shortly, and I hope I like the Aquilas, but so far I have changed almost every uke to something else.
Aloha Hibiscus,
If you tried aqila and worth clears...Martin M600 is the best..and in between..you will certainly like the balance and comfort of the strings...get some from elderly...4.65 a set...
let us know how you like them..Season Greetings and a Merry Christmas...Happy Strummings..

Thank you for your opinions. I can hardly wait to receive the uke!

Martin fluorocarbons.

Top Bottom