A/B?

raiden590

Reaction score
Is playing an chord with your 2102, is that for a 'slash' chord A/B, or is that still just a version of the A chord?

I believe it is an A9 chord. The chord A/B usually would refer to an A chord with a B note in the bass. In this case, the note B is on the top of the voicing, making it A9.

Does that answer your question?

I guess it depends on context. If a bass player were to play along with you, would he or she play a B note or an A note as the "bottom" note?

If they'd play a B, then it's an A/B chord: An A chord with a B in the bass. Often, this sort of chord would function like a Bsus4 chord.

Now, on a standard-tuned uke, it's often not really practical for you to put the B as the lowest-pitched note, so you usually have to just cram it in there wherever you can, such as on the top. Still, if the musical intent is for the B to be on the bottom, I'd still call it an A/B chord even if that's not how it winds up being voiced on the uke.

On the other hand, if our hypothetical bass player should play an A note, and your added B is really supposed to be "flavor" in the upper structure of the chord, then I'd call it an A(add2) or A(add9).

JJ

P.S. Technically, if you call it an A9, that implies a five-note chord that also includes the dominant 7th: A, C#, E, G, and B.

An A(add2) is just an A triad with a B stuck in the middle: A, B, C#, and E.

An A(add9) is an A triad with the B added in the upper octave: A, C#, E, and B.

But again, on the uke, it's often more practical to play an add2 and an add9 the same way. We just don't have the range to worry about putting notes in the "correct" octave. :)

kegmcnabb is correct. It's an A9.

The slash denotes a bass note (which may or may not already be a part of the chord.) It's really used more on piano, and somewhat on guitar.

(Ukulele JJ and I cross-posted.)

JJ,
I've been playing guitar for decades and have seen the add2 chord (as you describe it) referred to as a 9 chord all the time. I've never actually heard of adding the dominant 7th in there. But all the theory I know is what I've picked up on the way. And most of the people I've played with are also self taught. Kinda weird.

It's definitely a point of confusion. And most of the time it is obvious from context anyway.
But music theory says A9 has an implied dominant seventh.

Well, you how guitar players are; think they know everything about chord theory.

wait a minute....

...and remember, with only 4 strings, any extended chord played on uke must omit some notes.

Which is a good point but there is another - when you have to omit notes always try to omit those that have the least to do with a chord's "signature" tone. Thus, if I was playing music that called for an A9 on a uke I'd either play an A7 or omit the fifth or even the root before omitting that dominant seventh. The dominant 7 is the most important note on any of the chords that include it. In fact, it is second only to the 3rd (major or minor) in establishing the "character" of a chord.

I.e. there is a huge difference between an A9 and an Aadd9, but only a minor difference between an A9 and an A7.

Well, you how guitar players are; think they know everything about chord theory.

wait a minute....
You mean, we don't? LOL

Not as bad as keyboard players, though - they think they know it all just because it's all layed out in black and white...

Top Bottom