Ukulele on the Big Island

BBQUKER

Reaction score
Just got back from a two week vacation. Sure wish we could move there. Anyhow, in prior posts people have asked about ukulele shops, etc on the Big Island. So here are a couple. In Waimea check out the Waimea Music Exchange in the Parker Ranch mall. Mostly low to mid priced stuff. There is another Music Exchange in the Kamahameha Mall. Similar to the first store. Then Just Ukes in either Keauhow or the Kona Inn Mall. Mostly Lanikai, but pretty helpful people.

Now for the best. You have to stop at the Holualoa Ukulele Gallery (Holualoa is a town of artistry type folks on the mauka (mountain) side of Kona. Sam Rosen is a builder and also carries a fine inventory of locally made ukes.

Sorry, never made it to Hilo.

I was able to make it to two kanikapilas (just wished I knew about this when I arrived). The first was at the International Market in Kona which is held on Friday's @ 10 AM. The second was at the Outriggers hotel (north of Kona on Alii Drive) on Wednesday's @ 6 PM. Both were a ball. There is supposed to be another one on Thursday AM behind Lava Java but I was unable to confirm this.

And please, if you make it to the Big Island check out GJ's hulu-huli chicken. He is up in Waimea, but takes his chicken stand to several other towns (Havi and Kawaihae for sure). You will not be disappointed.

Dan
Sole member of Wisconsin Rapids Ukulele Club

Last edited:
Mahalo for the info Dan. There's the Music Exchange in Kailua Kona and Soundwave Music near the International Market that sells ukes as well.

I'll have to check out the kanikapilas and that chicken when I get there in July. :)

All I can say is Hilo Guitars. They have pretty much the biggest inventory on the island and they carry Kamaka and Kanile'a as well as instruments made by local builders.

All I can say is Hilo Guitars. They have pretty much the biggest inventory on the island and they carry Kamaka and Kanile'a as well as instruments made by local builders.

Agreed. Hilo Guitars is worth the drive from anywhere on the Big Island. The owner and staff are both performers and know ukuleles as well as anyone.

Planning a trip to the Big Island this summer. Thanks for the info. :)

Our outrigger racing canoe team will be in Kona in mid January. A few of us play ukes and are looking forward to getting to the kanikapilas. Thanks for this info. If you are on the Big Island and have any other tips for us, please post here or send me a PM.

Top Bottom