New to Banjo Uke? This may help!

arpie

Reaction score
Hi guys

In recent weeks, I have co-ordinated the delivery of 12 banjo ukes to Australia, for family & friends who are keen to take up Banjo Ukulele playing - (as well as members of my uke group here in Forster who just loved MY Concert Banjo Uke)...... all from Mainland of course!! The final 4 arrived yesterday & most are now with their new owners, happy to have received them in time for Xmas!! (Thanks Mike!!)

PB100004.jpg

It has been a learning experience for me, as I would tune them up & try to have them 'sounding their best' for pickup by the new owners ......... and as I have learned over the last few weeks ........ every banjo uke is different from every other one!! They sound different, they play different - some seem to suit strumming, whilst others suit picking - some are 'chirpier' than others, some are muted - some are louder, some are quieter! All sound terrific!

I found that the Maple ukes are not as 'twangy' as the mahogany ones - so when looking at buying your banjo uke, make sure you play as many different timbers and sizes as you can, to more accurately choose the one that suits you. I've also strummed the Maple Soprano & Concert Mainland Banjo Ukes for the first time as well!!

With a bit of trial & error, I got most of them 'ready to go' in time for the new owners to pick them up, ready to play, as some came with the bridge flat, others with the bridge up - some 'almost' tuned, others not! With some, the harmonics at the 12th fret were spot on, others needed a bit of tweaking of the angle of one the bridge ends.

HOWEVER, in the first couple of weeks, there are some ongoing things to do, particularly when tuning a banjo uke, that is totally different from tuning 'normal' ukes, so I printed out this 'suggestion' list for my new banjo uke owners, to ease them into their new instruments - as they are SO different from what they had played on before!

I hope this may assist you when you get YOUR Banjo Uke!

Please feel free to add to the suggestions :)

Your New Banjo Uke!

Congratulations on acquiring your new Banjo Ukulele - I hope you have MANY HOURS of fun & strum - and a Very Merry Xmas too!

A few things you may need to know about your new Banjo Ukulele ....

1) The Strings will take a week, maybe 2, to 'stretch' and 'settle in' before holding their note accurately. After that, only minimal adjustments should be required. Initially, tune the uke up a few times each day, (every other time you go past it), or before you use it. As you play it initially, it may need retuning even during your playing session. To tune the first 2 strings (on Mainland Banjo Ukes anyway) G & C - turn the peg 'AWAY' from the body of the uke to make the string go 'higher' whereas E & A strings - turn the pegs 'TOWARDS' the body of the uke to tune the strings 'higher', which is the more commonly needed adjustment initially as the strings tend to settle 'lower' rather than 'higher' over the first week or two! Only turn the pegs in small increments - 1/8th or 1/6th a turn or less - as the adjustments are usually quite small.

When tuning the uke, I lay it across my lap and lightly hold the other 3 strings to mute them, to prevent them from resonating during tuning - otherwise it can be difficult to get an accurate tuning on each string, as the other strings tend to 'resonate in sympathy' with the string being tuned.

If an 'echo' forms when tuning or playing, check that all the nuts on the head have been tightened sufficiently, as a loose head can cause what is called a 'wolf-tone' or 'sub-tone' in banjos. Tightening any loose nuts on the head slightly - a quarter turn - should take care of that particular issue. When tightening the nuts - do the first one, then the one directly opposite, the 2nd one & the one directly opposite & so on ......

If you tune an individual string a tad too high, instead of adjusting it down with the tuner peg, just stretch that particular string across towards the next string & it will usually 'bring it right.' If it is then tuned 'too low' you will need to 'tune it up' using the tuning peg.

2) Use a digital tuner or a piano for the correct note pitch for the most common GCEA tuning, or use one of the many online Ukulele Tuning sites. With Banjo Ukes, it is best to change the digital tuner to Mic instead of Clip and have it close to the uke, not ON IT ....... or use the piano or a pitch pipe as the digital tuners are so sensitive they pick up TOO many vibrations!

3) Playing a Banjo Uke sounds totally different from any other ukes - so it may take a little while to get used to the 'brashness' of the sound! Each Banjo uke can sound slightly different from the other, even within the same manufacturer, but they REALLY DO sound like Banjos. They play LOUD & PROUD & I find that they play better if strummed 'with confidence' rather than timidly. So don't be afraid to give it a really good go! Some songs may not suit banjo ukes, use your normal uke for those.

4) In a way, Banjo ukes can be 'less forgiving' than normal ukes - you really have to make sure you form the chords correctly - ie fingers NOT hitting the fret bar - and holding the finger tips down FIRMLY to play all 4 strings with 'crisp notes'. If the notes sound dull or even have an echo, chances are, you need to apply more pressure on that string (or all of them) for that 'crisp' note. Aquila strings are harder on your fingers - if you find it difficult to use Aquila Strings, try changing to softer strings. Check out this post on strings
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?39969-FYI-Uke-Strings

5) When practising alone, instead of continual fast strumming, initially, just try stroking the 4 strings so that each string is sounded off individually - this way you can confirm that the chords are being formed correctly as you change chords. It even sounds good, too and that style of strumming suits many songs!

6) If you have any concerns about the way your banjo uke sounds & plays, put a query up on UU or contact the supplier of the banjo uke, or go to a respected music shop or luthier - they will have you 'sorted' in no time!

A couple of really great songs that suit Banjo Ukes .....and have great chord changes ....... oldies but goodies .....
Five Foot Two
Ain't She Sweet (check out the beatles playing it!)

I hope you enjoy your Banjo Ukes - be Loud & Proud, cos they are terrific music makers! :)

Cheerio & have a terrific Xmas & New Year - a safe one as well

Roberta

Last edited:
Thanks for that information.

I'mlooking to buy a banjolele in about 18 months and those little tidbits of information will certainly come in handy when the time comes.

That little clip of Paul George and Ringo jamming is beautiful. one of the sweetest little songs for sure!

I'm looking, so far, at the martinez baby soprano banjolele. (one that our local actually stocks, too) It's super cute, not being much bigger than a soprano ukulele, is therefore much lighter than others, but still packs a punch tonally. Whenever I go in I have a play, and it just makes me swoon! :drool:

Of course, I might change my mind by then!

Thanks Lexie - you will love our banjo uke when you get it! They are just so distinctive in their sound! All my Jumping Flea members still love playing theirs!! It adds a little 'something' to the group - as I remarked to them just last nigh at our latest 'session' ........ and the family & friends all love playing theirs too! I've since also bought a GOldtone Concert Banjo uke too & it is great to play as well!! :D

All the best

Roberta

This is good stuff! ...and, a banjo Uke is fun to play clawhammer style. Lots of guidance on the web for clawhammer uke.

Thanks a lot for the infos!!! Banjo uke is really something that I would like to try one of these days....how's the sustain compare to a regular banjo? I've tried one long time ago and I realized that sustain is just not enough for how I would like it to be.

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

......I realized that sustain is just not enough for how I would like it to be.......

Don't give up on them yet! Different Banjo Ukes have different sustains - just keep trying as many as you can until you find one that you really like!!

Someone put up a query on UU earlier in the year, re sustain on Banjo Ukes - check it out here:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...mprove-the-sustain-of-my-home-built-banjolele

cheers

Roberta

PS I couldn't open your soundcloud links!

Well... looks like my acquisition might be moved forward, to VERY SOON!

The problem with being in Australia is not many places import, everything on eBay is all shipped from the US.. via Asia. and all mass produced anyway. I'm not prepared to risk getting a dud one.

I'm not keen on buying sight unseen, and once I add in shipping costs, I might as well buy from a local shop, which kind of limits my choice.

I know there's Waverly Street, I will contact Dave, is it? To find out what the options are, I have heard nothing but great reviews.

But I am after something small, so the baby sop I can get locally might have to do. Any further advice appreciated.

I've always wondered if there were different techniques to banjos and resonators... Any other tips?

All the best, Alex with your search & purchase of your Banjo Uke!! If you ever see a Mainland Banjo Uke for sale (VERY few come onto the market .....) grab it!!

In the meantime, chat with Mike from Ukulele Republic - he has a good reputation amongst most Uke Buyers for 'good setups - and as a fellow UU member, would probably give you a good price too?? The Eddy Finn looks very similar to the Mainland.
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/category/resonators-banjo-leles-bass-ukuleles

The Rally ones on ebay can be a bit hit & miss - and usually need a luthier to 'bring up to scratch' ..... if you find one for sale on ebay or Fleamarket (https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/) that 'looks good' you can always ask them to do a youtube video of playing a full scale on each string, checking the intonation, sustain & pitch & get them to play some tunes on it - so you 'sort of play it' before purchase.

The older ones (Gibsons, Maybell, Stewarts etc) are often VERY heavy - the more metal bindings, the heavier the uke - and they can also 'dig into you' a bit when playing ...... all these factors need to be taken into consideration when looking to buy one. THe Mainland is really light (for example) compared to the Goldtone one that I have - & of course, BOTH are much heavier than 'regular shaped' timber ukes!

...different techniques to banjos and resonators....
I encourage my group to 'play them loud & proud'! THey deserve 'a good thrashing' as they were designed to be loud! You CAN play them 'soft' but I don't think you get the full benefit of the 'brash sound' by playing them 'soft'! But that is just me! :D

Maybe also look at the Kala REsonator uke - it will sound louder like a banjo uke but is the regular uke shape!!

cheers

Roberta

Thank you so much for this info! I'm getting my first banjolele soon and this advice on the tuning will no doubt come in handy! :D

If the Duke10s start production again, grab one. They're light, have electronics if you need it and sound great. Light was a big selling point for me. Deerings sound great but they weigh a ton.
Sold mine because the tenor size was just too big for me.

I have a resonator Eddy Finn Banjolele and I will echo the concept that tuning can be difficult because of the echo from other strings.
I mute the vellum AND the other strings when tuning. And being a resonator, it is distinctly heavier than a standard ukulele. And it is loud. One reason I play it less often than I should. I’m a “play softly “ strummer.

Top Bottom