Just A Gigolo (again) - video/audio/editing test

brucemoffatt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having another try at finding a good video editor, a good cheap camera and sound recording device.

I've been using the in-built video camera in my android phone recently and the video is good but the audio is poor. This time I have used my android tablet for the video, an mp3 recorder built into the phone for sound, and some free software for editing.

I used a song I've done previously to make sure I can compare, and not fool myself too much. I prefer the audio quality in this version. The video editor has rendered the video down to a very blocky resolution.

http://youtu.be/g77YZGGgXvE

I think it may be one step forward.

All the best to everyone for the holiday season. Regardless of your beliefs, may all good things come to you, may you be surrounded by friends, and may peace be your reward for another year completed.

Bruce

Last edited:
What recording gear did you use? I'm in the market for some new equipment but simply find the process a little overwhelming.
Yeah, overwhelming is an understatement. I try to get away with a minimalist approach, and try to make simple tools do the work.

I have an android phone (Samsung Galaxy S) and an android tablet (eeepad transformer) and a netbook PC (eeepc 1000h) running Windows XP and linux mint 12.

The video and audio quality of the phone is pretty darn good for what it is, but the sound recording quality in a phone-sourced video is poor. However there is a sound recording app (HI-Q mp3) that lets you make good quality sound recordings using the phone. The tablet has a pretty good video camera built in as well, but the audio quality of tablet-sourced video is woeful. So I used both, and combined an mp3 taken on the phone with a video taken with the tablet. I tried to find a good free app to do the editing, and tried really hard to find a way to do it on the tablet. Google Movie Studio is 90% there, but no cigar. If I could edit the audio of the video track in Movie Studio, I'd use that. What I ended up using is a free open-source video editor (PiTiVi) on the netbook. That was the first time I've used that editor and I'm sure it can do better if I let it :).

My advice? I don't have any. I'm struggling around in the dark. I refuse to spend hundreds on recording gear to capture my meagre talent into bytes. If anyone has figured out how to get just a little more out of Google Movie Studio I'd love them forever for telling me how to edit the audio portion of an imported video track, but for now I'm around 95% of where I want to be with these toys.

Now what I really want is to play more uke and get better at that :)

Top Bottom