A cool evening last night..

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Some friends came by last night and visited for a little while. They have been through some rough times, and I been watching their son very closely (before ya get creeped out, continue reading). The kid is a pretty cool kid, and is 9 years old. He has been facinated with my ukes and guitars for the past 2 years. Always wants to hold one which I let him. I might have given this kid a uke awhile back, but always was unsure if he would have made a good uke owner/player. I often wondered if this kid would tire of it, and thought it was just cool until the new wears off. But, the older the kid got, the more sparkle the kid had in his eyes when he looked at my hardware. I tried to play a little last night, because his mom always raves and bugs me to play for her, so I tried. I did ok, but still having some issues with my arms and hand. But, they didn't seem to mind, and enjoyed the time anyway. The kids ran outside to play with my dog, and mom and dad got onto me because they said their son has been pestering them for 2 years to get him a ukulele, and it was all my fault, lol.. I told them I was sorry about that, but it is a desese and soon to be reconized by the CDC. I told them he was ready I think, so just get him one for Christmas.. They gave me that "look" and told me they wished they could, but just can't afford one right now. They got him a few things for Christmas already and that was all they could swing this year.. Like I said, they have been struggling for a few years now like the rest of us. The kids by that time came in, and he sat down and picked up a uke I stategicly placed where he was sitting earlier.. He stroked it some, picked at the strings... They had to go, so he set the uke down still looking at it, got up putting on his coat in protest telling mom and dad he wanted to stay a little longer and play uke with "Big T". Just before they walked out, I told the kid to come here for a minute.. I Put the uke in a case, handed it to him, and told him Merry Christmas, and I expect a whole song to be played for me in a couple months.. The kid lit up like a Christmas tree and looked at his mom and dad I assume for approval. They teared up, and gave me that thankful look, and told the kid he better give "Big T" a hug.. Paid in full.. That kid with a chester cat grin on his face, strapped that case on his back and with a swagger strolled to the door looking like a Ukulele cowboy and his uke on his back.. It was a cool moment.. I think he's gonna do alright.. ;)

Last edited:
awesome...There are only a few things better in life than this. very few.

Aloha Tony,
You're a big man with a big heart...God Bless you...I hope the man upstairs noticed that and will help you with you health problems...may 2012 be a better year for the both of us Healthwise..
Merry Christmas to you and your family...

Not me brudda. It's the good Lord, I am only a tool.. The smile on a kid's face is worth more than any uke out there IMHO. Merry Christmas to you too, and each year God gives us on this blue ball will be a better year, and another year to try and make a difference...

Merry Christmas everybody ;)

Merry Christmas Tudorp! I always knew you was Santa!
Ernest

Tony, you are a good man!

We all need a little more "Big T" in our lives!

What a great story! You are the reason for the season Big T! Happy Holidays!

Somehow, Tony, I think you got an even bigger gift than the boy did. Good job!

Wonderful story and wonderful jesture. The true Christmas spirit!

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Great story. We all need to step it up like you do Tony.
"Big T". sounds like a great name for your ukulele company
Thanks for making the world a better place for our youths

That reminds me very much of how I ended up giving my Luna to my god daughter.

Great story, and you're right, it is a really great feeling.

The coolest thing was the kid's expression as he walked to the door to leave. He had his uke strapped to his back, had that smug cowboy look, standing tall and proud with his 4 string strapped to his back as he walked off into the sunset.. lol.. It was a special moment for sure.. ;)

This world could use more folks like you! Thanks for sharing, your uke and your story!
Happy new year!

Way to go, Tony. I bet that kid plays every day. And he'll never forget you. I've given away 3 instruments now, my fiddle (I couldn't play it) and every time the kid sees me, his eyes light up and I get a hug. I gave away my baritone uke to a friend who was out of a job, and said he missed playing music. I gave a soprano ukulele to a little girl 10 or 11 years old, her Momma couldn't afford one. It was even her favorite color, purple. Makes your heart sing. thanks for messing up my makeup today!

Top Bottom