Show and Tell

Vic D

Reaction score
Ambrosia maple back and sides, maple neck, ebony binding and neck stripes, spruce top, old tight grained engelmann spruce braces, mahogay heel block, three piece laminated poplar tail block, grover tuners and an inlayed ebony bridge, inlayed headstock and fretboard.

Pretty tight bending in my headstock design but I knew it when I designed it... ebony just needs the proper encouragement when it comes to bending it.

Wish there was an amateur builders forum to post this on...

ambrosia2.jpg

Interesting to watch how many views this thread is getting compared to the others... kinda seems like I'm invisable. I always wanted to be invisable...

Just give it more time Vic. More comments will come. How did it go carving that neck? It looks great. I've got some maple I want to carve some necks out of 3 or 4 ukes from now. When I've tried to work with it in the past it was so hard I had a difficult time sanding it. I guess they call it hard maple for a reason, huh.

the artwork on your uke project is fantastic what type of paint do you use? I am starting my homemade banjo project soon, I've got most of the parts, but to build my own uke at the moment would be beyond me or the tools i possess, i will be following your thread Vic, like the idea of an amateur builders forum as well

the artwork on your uke project is fantastic what type of paint do you use? I am starting my homemade banjo project soon, I've got most of the parts, but to build my own uke at the moment would be beyond me or the tools i possess, i will be following your thread Vic, like the idea of an amateur builders forum as well

Thank you SO MUCH! You don't know how much your comment means to me. I intend to do inlay in a painterly fashion leaning to realism and eventually surrealism. I can't afford a class or even the videos and books on the subject so I think I'm building my own techniques and that's probably a good thing. The stuff in the inlay is just various woods and shell. When I built my first uke I had very few tools of the trade. I started with a drill, black and decker hand held belt sander, homemade jigs and one of those Safe-T-Planers that didn't seem safe to me at all lol.

Just give it more time Vic. More comments will come. How did it go carving that neck? It looks great. I've got some maple I want to carve some necks out of 3 or 4 ukes from now. When I've tried to work with it in the past it was so hard I had a difficult time sanding it. I guess they call it hard maple for a reason, huh.

How did it go carving the neck? hahaha it was a pain in the ass. But I'm not going to talk about it. The next time will bet better. That being said, this neck is my dream neck. It's a bit wider than the standard soprano neck, a bit slimmer, and it's got the eliptical c shape that I love. All in all the neck was fun as it always is. I do love to carve necks and I spend a great deal of time on them. Maple is nice carving.... it's very pleasant to work with and it's THE tone wood for some applications in my opinion.

That is to say.. hard to work with doesn't = bad... working with maple is a pleasing experience.
Hard to shape is my favorite attribute.

Last edited:
Hey Vic...nice work here! It is nice to see how your builds are evolving and this piece really shows your artistic eye. I think that the challenge with the inlay is that it requires both technical skill and an artistic vision. You are demonstrating both here, my friend. Keep up the good work.

Exceptional work on the headstock Vic. The bird and flowers look great.

Thanks so much Fred. There will be many more and birds will be a main theme of mine.. birds and frogs lol... it's a wonderful world.

Hey Vic...nice work here! It is nice to see how your builds are evolving and this piece really shows your artistic eye. I think that the challenge with the inlay is that it requires both technical skill and an artistic vision. You are demonstrating both here, my friend. Keep up the good work.

Thanks so much, Ken! It does require some technical savy along with an artistic eye... fortunately I've got enough artistic eye to make up for my lack of technical savy lol. I'm gonna make some bone saddles and nuts for you soon...

Very nice Vic! Keep up the great work!

Hey Vic,
I think the neck is so nicely done. I have always like the way you made the laminate necks.
I will try to do that myself sometime.

And the ebony binding on the headstock is very nice. Not to mention the inlay art...that is crazy cool.
Please keep posting pictures of your works. I am sure that many people enjoyed looking at them.

Merry Christmas..

Top Bottom