PDA

View Full Version : Are you the Best?

berylbite
09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Are you the best ukulele player you know socially, or do you have friends that are much better?

For me, I could say I'm the best ukulele player I know around town, yet this is because I'm the only one I know around town.

salukulady
09-22-2008, 05:43 PM
God no.......

SnakeOiler
09-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm probably the best one playing locally in Philly now, but I've met Del Rey, Hal Brolund and J Boy Shine so I'm not even close when it comes to them.

drubin
09-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Are there any really good uke players in the Atlanta area?

Guting
09-22-2008, 07:02 PM
less than average

VengefulTikiGod
09-22-2008, 07:46 PM
They are hard to come by in SoCal. I know maybe three, with varying levels of seriousness about the instrument. There's one guy who plays guitar and uke that is pretty good on guitar, so I assume he's good on uke (and he has a nice high end uke too haha). Me and him probably are both pretty good on it, probably I would give the edge to myself because I know a lot of solo fingerstyle technique whereas he seems to have a more comping-based approach.

Ken Middleton
09-22-2008, 09:46 PM
I think it really depends where you live. In the UK many people still think of it as a toy guitar and don't even know it as a ukulele - ukuleles are round, like George Formby played. It doesn't help when a lot of the ukuleles that are sold in small music shops are brightly-coloured and look like they are made for small children to hit each other with.

I don't personally know any other ukulele players in the area where I live. So, in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Without the Web and access to an online community, I would feel very isolated.

KEN

upskydowncloud
09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
I think it really depends where you live. In the UK many people still think of it as a toy guitar and don't even know it as a ukulele - ukuleles are round, like George Formby played. It doesn't help when a lot of the ukuleles that are sold in small music shops are brightly-coloured and look like they are made for small children to hit each other with.

I don't personally know any other ukulele players in the area where I live. So, in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Without the Web and access to an online community, I would feel very isolated.

KEN

Likewise Ken. Luckily because I'm in London there is a greater mix and I'm able to get lessons and visit workshops with other uke players but they are still few and far between.

Without the internet it'd be difficult to get any information or find anyone else as enthusiastic about the instrument. The George Formby association still runs fairly deeply and as a result I rarely tell people I play (or at least try to play) the ukulele. Although having said that if they visit my flat they will definitely get a rendition of one of the three songs I know.

I'm probably the best in my local area, again because I very much doubt anyone within 1 mile plays the uke.

thesoobz
09-22-2008, 09:58 PM
below average. but im practicing! =) haha

jqrcaliman
09-22-2008, 10:04 PM
i haven't met n e other uke players in my city. but i seriously doubt im the best in my town. when i show off my uking abilities i will occasionally hear something like "o u remind me of my friend...he/she plays the uke too", i can't know for sure if the friend is in the same town or not. but still i doubt im the best...plus i know there are a bunch of islanders in my city seeing all kinds of hawaiian pride, philipino pride, samoan pride or last but not least Chamorro Pride stickers.

Kaneohe til the end
09-22-2008, 10:20 PM
try coming to hawaii where almost the entire local population knows how to play surf and more than words. i think im better than most of those people, but obviously with the like of jake, aldrine, taimane, ka'au crater boys, the list goes on, im nowhere near the top

SamWise
09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
I know one other uke owner (I hesitate to call him a player), and he can't tune his without help, never mind play anything. I guess I win.

david98116
09-22-2008, 10:34 PM
No good.....but getting better. I think I have surpassed a few of my friends in skill in the 9 months I've been playing.

deach
09-23-2008, 12:55 AM
I am the best uke player within a 25 inch radius of my home.

salukulady
09-23-2008, 01:44 AM
I am the best uke player within a 25 inch radius of my home.Bingo! Just the description I was looking for....yes, I can kick my kids ass' on uke........

SnakeOiler
09-23-2008, 02:09 AM
The George Formby association still runs fairly deeply and as a result I rarely tell people I play

What's wrong with Formby? I wish I could play as well as he could.

redsedge
09-23-2008, 04:15 AM
[QUOTE=upskydowncloud;62699]Likewise Ken. Luckily because I'm in London there is a greater mix and I'm able to get lessons and visit workshops with other uke players but they are still few and far between. QUOTE]

Have you tried Ukulele Wednesdays at The Royal George Pub, Goslett Yard off Charing Cross Road?

Or The Duke of Uke shop - Duke of Uke. London's Very Own. Ukulele And Banjo Emporium. 22 Hanbury Street London E1 6QR. Tel/Fax : +44(0)20 7247 7924. Open Tuesday - Sunday

Or the Dulwich Ukulele Club

Or this lot in Enfield: http://www.myspace.com/ukulelesoup

Few and far between? Pah!;)

4strings707
09-23-2008, 05:51 AM
less than average

ya right dude

freedive135
09-23-2008, 06:13 AM
In my own mind yes....I'm better than some of the folks in my classes:rock:
But when I hear the guys where I get my ukes play or the folks that teach my lessons or on here or......

Pete Howlett
09-23-2008, 06:14 AM
I don't quite know how to put this but isn't this an immodest question? Besides, I thought with the internet we had abandoned the idea of a local community and were busy populating a global village.

I can't play uke but I can play guitar and so play uke like a guitar...therefore I am not a ukulele player despite being often advised that I am:music:

Guting
09-23-2008, 06:48 AM
ya right dude

lol maybe not less than average, but I could get shut down by some guys I know.

jsigone
09-23-2008, 07:12 AM
way less then average for me, I'm a newb but loving it. I can fingerpick about a dozen or so riffs, but not entire songs.

Pete Howlett
09-23-2008, 07:14 AM
The year is 1994, the place Texas, the venue the Dallas Guitar Show. I noticed this youngster stopping by everyone's booths and trying every single guitar. We call them the 3P customer - they are a real pain! He had in tow a beautiful young girl who he was clearly impressing with his Ragtime Blues playing. After two hours or so he arrives at my booth where I am busily demonstrating. I invite him to sit and play with me - a trap you see?

So we start this rag in G, standard chords except for the sneak inclusion of a 7th III used as a passing chord second run through. Well that put him off kilter a little bit and I let him catch up, play a few cliche's and then said let's modulate to B... At this point I have moved from root positions and have a whole pile of partial chords going on, I speed the tempo up and very quickly he fades like a damp squib. I stopped before he was completely humiliated and kindly thanked him as he quickly left my booth red-faced. He tried one guitar, played for about 2 1/2 minutes and I had demolished him in 2. Was I the better guitarist? No... I just was older, wiser and had a few tricks up my sleeve. I'd had to do this countless times during the interval at gigs that I knew what to do.

Was it sweet? You bet :rock::nana::nana::rock:

So what is best? The person who can cut heads or the one who simply doesn't have to do it?

MGM
09-23-2008, 07:30 AM
I am not sure about ukulele but i am the best Kaneohe Zippy's customer LOL

Ukulele JJ
09-23-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm in Nashville, TN.

There's always someone better than you around here. :o

JJ

Kanaka916
09-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Am I the best? Hell no! I can strum with the best of em but when I it comes down to picking, anybody can rip me to shreds. All I wanna do is have fun and enjoy those moments where everybody we jam with is havin a good time. But really, all you gotta do is satisfy yourself and don't have to prove anything to anyone. Leave your ego at the door!

sukie
09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Nope, I'm not even close. I think I'm the best in my cul-de-sac though. I live in the same area as GX9901 and Lanark. Too much competition.

Howlin Hobbit
09-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm certainly not "the best" uke player in the Seattle area. But I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

I consider myself to be in the intermediate range and getting better. May even creep into the high end of the range before I die. Could happen.

I'm a damn good entertainer though. Still probably not the best in my area, but once again I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

rayan
09-23-2008, 09:45 AM
When you hang out with Aldrine almost daily... definitely not

beanwz
09-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Just started playing so not very good yet, but don't know anyone else who plays. so i guess that makes me the best i know

salukulady
09-23-2008, 09:51 AM
They are hard to come by in SoCal. I know maybe three, with varying levels of seriousness about the instrument. There's one guy who plays guitar and uke that is pretty good on guitar, so I assume he's good on uke (and he has a nice high end uke too haha). Me and him probably are both pretty good on it, probably I would give the edge to myself because I know a lot of solo fingerstyle technique whereas he seems to have a more comping-based approach.You need to get out more often......there are many very talented uke players here......or if you are the best you need to show off your talents more.........

Misguided Musician
09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
I love SoCal. There are so many awesome Uke Players that just aren't noticed. I'm pretty close, but I need to brush up a little on my picking and soloing. I'm trying to get into the blues style.
I would be nothing in Hawaii though.

NukeDOC
09-23-2008, 10:02 AM
the best, IMO, would never say theyre the best... unless theyre the only one.

if i were one of only two uke players in my area that i knew of, and i said i was better than the other... my attitude would automatically drop me to second best.

upskydowncloud
09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
What's wrong with Formby? I wish I could play as well as he could.

Err it's just not a style of music I'd like to get involved in.

thejumpingflea
09-23-2008, 11:36 AM
the best, IMO, would never say theyre the best... unless theyre the only one.

if i were one of only two uke players in my area that i knew of, and i said i was better than the other... my attitude would automatically drop me to second best.

Yep that pretty much sums it up.

It is a pretty awkward question to ask IMHO.

haole
09-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm not even the best uke player in my house. :(

dinkadink
09-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm a total beginner. Still learning chords. But I have a bunch down and know a couple basic strums. I was a singer first, though, and never played any stringed instruments, so I'm just enjoying that I can accompany myself now. My husband thinks I'm a bad ass. I guess he'll know my true skills after the San Jose Ukulele Jam. Ah well, I'll milk it until then....;)

uke142464
09-23-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm probably the best one playing locally in Philly now, but I've met Del Rey, Hal Brolund and J Boy Shine so I'm not even close when it comes to them.

echem, lol i dont necisarily live in philly though lol, but for where im from id say noone else even plays but i dk

berylbite
09-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Some people say that its bad to feel as though your more skilled than your fellow uke player, But I think the pride is rather healthy. Especially when you've found someone better than you! Then that competitive nature starts up and your find yourself practicing harder and getting better at a super quick pace..

luckyends
09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
there are like 3 (other than me) who go to my school
i dont know how good they are cause all i hear them play is "im yours"

deach
09-23-2008, 05:23 PM
there are like 3 (other than me) who go to my school
i dont know how good they are cause all i hear them play is "im yours"

Soon, I'm Yours, will be like Tiny Tim's Tiptoe...

luckyends
09-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Soon, I'm Yours, will be like Tiny Tim's Tiptoe...

how so i dont realy get the analogy...
sry

deach
09-23-2008, 05:32 PM
how so i dont realy get the analogy...
sry

Many people cringe at the sound of Tiny Tim playing Tiptoe, or anything really. Some think he did a disservice to the uke. (not me)

One day, people will roll their eyes when they hear I'm Yours. (me) One day very soon I think.

luckyends
09-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Many people cringe at the sound of Tiny Tim playing Tiptoe, or anything really. Some think he did a disservice to the uke. (not me)

One day, people will roll their eyes when they hear I'm Yours. (me) One day very soon I think.

i will admit it did get the ukulele out (im yours) but im so sick and tired of people only knowing that song

Aldrine Guerrero
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Some people say that its bad to feel as though your more skilled than your fellow uke player, But I think the pride is rather healthy. Especially when you've found someone better than you! Then that competitive nature starts up and your find yourself practicing harder and getting better at a super quick pace..

But wouldn't you practice hard for all the wrong reasons? To practice just to be better than someone or being "the best" is not really the way to go. You should practice and get better for the sake of improving yourself. There are so many people, so many musicians, so many talents, that being the best is just an impossibility. There is always someone reaching levels beyond our comprehension, that itself should be enough to give us the necessary nudge.

I had a student some time back. I had taught him a lot of techniques. A LOT. He then went on and won various competitions and became an amazing musician. But everyone who knew him told me that he was far from humble about it. Everything that I would show him, he would use to belittle others. I felt extremely ashamed because I felt responsible. He was obsessed with being the best and making sure everyone knew it.

Let's all spread love and music. No need to point out who is better than who in what. It's all about the music. If we feel that we have reached a certain level, we should spread it and share our knowledge.

Let's all check our egos out the door and learn iamhawaii.com's lesson 2 song. Anyonne got tabs? :D

mykulangot92
09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
theres some uke player in gardena CA

im prabably like rank 4 haha

in skool rank 2 haha

Kaneohe til the end
09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
theres some uke player in gardena CA

im prabably like rank 4 haha

in skool rank 2 haha

so much for reading the post above yours

deach
09-24-2008, 01:33 AM
Let's all check our egos out the door and learn iamhawaii.com's lesson 2 song. Anyonne got tabs? :D

Oh wow!!!! I've been looking for that song!

salukulady
09-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Oh wow!!!! I've been looking for that song!

(attempted hijacking of a possibly volatile situation!)

deach
09-24-2008, 03:58 AM
(attempted hijacking of a possibly volatile situation!)

Me? Hijacking? :confused:

Hey, how is baritone uke? Are you enjoying it? Any samples for us to hear?

salukulady
09-24-2008, 04:09 AM
Me? Hijacking? :confused:

Hey, how is baritone uke? Are you enjoying it? Any samples for us to hear?Maybe for seeso......he said I was cute as a bug.....

GForce83
09-24-2008, 04:41 AM
Are you the best ukulele player you know socially, or do you have friends that are much better?

I'm the only ukulele player I know socially, does that make me the best? I think it does!

Dominator
09-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Let's all spread love and music. No need to point out who is better than who in what. It's all about the music. If we feel that we have reached a certain level, we should spread it and share our knowledge.

Very well said Aldrine. I've been reluctant to reply to this particular thread because I don't believe there is such thing as being the "best" in this situation. Jake is not the best, nor is James Hill or even the great Ohta San. They are all "different" and very individual in there styles which we all get to benefit from.

I'm all for spreading the love and music and trying to do so through my website and somewhat from participating in forums like this.

Now, off to iamhawaii.com

NukeDOC
09-24-2008, 05:33 AM
hahaha i love how "the best" is a subject that always comes up in any forum.

i was just having a discussion last night about the diff between bias, prejudice, and stereotype. "the best" is certainly a bias. but all three have negativity written all over. they inhibit the opening of the mind.

i wonder what i would come up with if i did a search here for "the best" haha

but for the record, IMHO:
there is no best uke. only most expensive
there is no best player. only incredibly talented individuals.
there are no best strings. only favorites that fall into the player's budget.
there are no best tuners. only favorites by individuals.
there is no best wood. what happens when a new tree is cut? hahaha

my point. if we look at things from facts, and not by statistics, we open ourselves up to see the bigger picture and allow ourselves the potential to grow... and maybe even pioneer.

deach
09-24-2008, 05:34 AM
This is the BEST POST EVER!!!!

hahaha i love how "the best" is a subject that always comes up in any forum.

i was just having a discussion last night about the diff between bias, prejudice, and stereotype. "the best" is certainly a bias. but all three have negativity written all over. they inhibit the opening of the mind.

i wonder what i would come up with if i did a search here for "the best" haha

but for the record, IMHO:
there is no best uke. only most expensive
there is no best player. only incredibly talented individuals.
there are no best strings. only favorites that fall into the player's budget.
there are no best tuners. only favorites by individuals.
there is no best wood. what happens when a new tree is cut? hahaha

my point. if we look at things from facts, and not by statistics, we open ourselves up to see the bigger picture and allow ourselves the potential to grow... and maybe even pioneer.

Kanaka916
09-24-2008, 05:46 AM
Well said, brah, well said.

salukulady
09-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Agree with being the best is subjective and relative, but in defense of berylbite, (and I like Manny's pronunciation the best) his original post was "are you the best uke player you know socially?" I don't think any "I'm better than you" BS was intended. Time for a group hug......((((((UU))))))

Howlin Hobbit
09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
...but in defense of berylbite, (and I like Manny's pronunciation the best) his original post was "are you the best uke player you know socially?" I don't think any "I'm better than you" BS was intended.

That's how I read it too.

Besides which there are two things...

If there was nobody better than me, what would I have to strive for? (I think those kind of folk are called "heroes.") The process of striving to get better is towards the pinnacle of what it means to be human.
The absolute finest way to get better is to play with musicians (no matter what axe they play) who are better than you.

NukeDOC
09-24-2008, 09:42 AM
That's how I read it too.

Besides which there are two things...
If there was nobody better than me, what would I have to strive for? (I think those kind of folk are called "heroes.") The process of striving to get better is towards the pinnacle of what it means to be human.
The absolute finest way to get better is to play with musicians (no matter what axe they play) who are better than you.

i appologize if my post came off strong. that wasnt what i was implying. its just all too often that we see posts along the lines of "what's/who's/where's the best ______" you fill in the blank. not just here, but on any forum where product or performance is subject matter. these kinds of inquiries, even though they are geared toward finding out a general consensus, require bias to make a decision. and bias can lead to arguments because one individual's preference may not coincide with another's, yet because they are set in their opinion all hell can break loose. over what?

now, to ask if i think i am the best at anything... thats an awkward position for me to be in. my confidence in myself may tell me that im a better player than someone in my own mind, but my humility and willingness to learn will let me open my eyes to that little something that i just might have overlooked that the other can teach me. so i would never verbalize that i am better. it brings to mind my view of heroism - not to be confused with idolizing someone you are a fan of. my definition of a true hero is someone that has done something for someone out of the goodness of their heart knowing they will never be acknowledged for it (ex. coming across a homeless person on the street with no one around and putting a $5 bill in their cup while they sleep). the second you speak of it, you are looking for acknowledgement and maybe even accolades in your actions. this cheapens it and IMO makes you no longer a hero, but a braggard.

these are only humble opinions of mine that have become philosophies in life for me. i admit i dont always adhere to them but they help guide my way. now, imagine what the world would be like if everyone adopted this sort of attitude. "pay it forward" would no longer be a catchphrase for a great sounding gimmick, but more of a lifestyle. sorry about getting all philisophical. haha now if only i could take my own advice and learn the intro to "im yours"

Howlin Hobbit
09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
now, to ask if i think i am the best at anything... the second you speak of it, you are looking for acknowledgement and maybe even accolades in your actions. this cheapens it and IMO makes you no longer a hero, but a braggard.

I hear where you're coming from there. Please rest assured I wasn't directing my comment solely at you.

I'm in the weird position of having folk come up to me at shows and give me -- IMNSHO -- outrageous compliments on my skills. If I try to point out that I'm somewhere in the middle of the pack they insist I shouldn't be dissing myself.

I'm not dissing myself. I'm simply trying to keep an honest internal appraisal of where I am on my journey.

I've learned to just say, "Thanks!"

Further, I'm not only not dissing myself, I'm happy to be where I am on my journey. Lawsy, you should have heard me when I first started.

(No. That's a lie. I'm glad at least most of you didn't hear me when I first started.)

Interesting thread. Good to see a variety of opinions expressed without excess vitriol. We should keep on doing that sort of thing.

deach
09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
I am the best uke player within a 25 inch radius of my home.

This thread has me thinking I should push myself to be better. My goal by next month - be the best uke player within a 3 foot radius of my house.

sukie
09-24-2008, 10:23 AM
My goal by next month - be the best uke player within a 3 foot radius of my house.

Go for it.

deach
09-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Go for it.

I'm looking for my yard stick to mark off a perimeter.

salukulady
09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
I hear where you're coming from there. Please rest assured I wasn't directing my comment solely at you.

I'm in the weird position of having folk come up to me at shows and give me -- IMNSHO -- outrageous compliments on my skills. If I try to point out that I'm somewhere in the middle of the pack they insist I shouldn't be dissing myself.

I'm not dissing myself. I'm simply trying to keep an honest internal appraisal of where I am on my journey.

I've learned to just say, "Thanks!"

Further, I'm not only not dissing myself, I'm happy to be where I am on my journey. Lawsy, you should have heard me when I first started.

(No. That's a lie. I'm glad at least most of you didn't hear me when I first started.)

Interesting thread. Good to see a variety of opinions expressed without excess vitriol. We should keep on doing that sort of thing.

My comment wasn't directed at you either, nukdoc. I completely agree with Hobbit.

Jimmy
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I think I have an unfair advantage, seeing as I know almost all the ukulele players in Ireland personally. But I'll say I'm the best at school, seeing as no one else plays it (my friend has a baritone which he calls his "little travel guitar")

berylbite
09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I've always found that their are alot of good things that come out of competition. Healthy competition with friends is a method of pushing myself and my limits. I do it with Soccer, with Chess, and with the ukulele if I had a friend who played.. I never do it to strut around claiming that I'm the superior player, but to use it as a drive to make me better myself.

j312311
09-24-2008, 05:11 PM
i know this is gonna sound kinda stereotypical, but with all the samoans at my school i doubt that im better than any of them :P

RON<>VA
09-25-2008, 07:12 PM
I have an old fat cat in my house. . . I play better than her.

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-25-2008, 11:34 PM
yes im the best

considering im the only 1 that i know of near me who plays ukulele

Jack33@
09-26-2008, 05:08 AM
Frankly, I'm a very happy but dreadful player and yes, I was the best until I went round a mate's house, he saw my 10 thrasher, picked it up and said 'Oh yes I want one of these...' and proceeded to overtake all my months of hard work in little under half an hour.

This left me feeling a little hollow.

I went home and gave my Cheapulele to Max, my 3 year old, cracked out the Ohana and jammed head to head with him until he faded away. I left that little guy choking on my dust!

Was I the better player? Perhaps not, but certainly older and with more tricks up my sleeve and with the ability to call 'Bathtime!' every time he looks like pulling ahead.

So now I'm the best in my house, but for how long I don't know...

Renaissance-Man
09-26-2008, 01:09 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's funny, Jack. :)

Jack33@
09-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah but unfortunatly I'm not allowed to play against Max any more.

My wife went off on one of her more irrelevant tangents about 'acting my age' and 'deep emotional scarring'.

Ho Hum.
I have to wait until he is fully grown or can play 'All Along The Watchtower' in a Jimi style before I can go near him with a musical instrument.

nikolo727
09-28-2008, 09:32 AM
To be honest. yes. I have only heard of 3 uke players within 100 miles of my house and I will uke vs uke them if i have too lol. I havent even seen them play. plus ive learned from dominators lessons, aldrines lessons, and countless other strumming patterns, picking excercises and so on and so forth.