Are you the Best?

God no.......

I'm probably the best one playing locally in Philly now, but I've met Del Rey, Hal Brolund and J Boy Shine so I'm not even close when it comes to them.

Last edited:
They are hard to come by in SoCal. I know maybe three, with varying levels of seriousness about the instrument. There's one guy who plays guitar and uke that is pretty good on guitar, so I assume he's good on uke (and he has a nice high end uke too haha). Me and him probably are both pretty good on it, probably I would give the edge to myself because I know a lot of solo fingerstyle technique whereas he seems to have a more comping-based approach.

I think it really depends where you live. In the UK many people still think of it as a toy guitar and don't even know it as a ukulele - ukuleles are round, like George Formby played. It doesn't help when a lot of the ukuleles that are sold in small music shops are brightly-coloured and look like they are made for small children to hit each other with.

I don't personally know any other ukulele players in the area where I live. So, in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Without the Web and access to an online community, I would feel very isolated.

KEN

I think it really depends where you live. In the UK many people still think of it as a toy guitar and don't even know it as a ukulele - ukuleles are round, like George Formby played. It doesn't help when a lot of the ukuleles that are sold in small music shops are brightly-coloured and look like they are made for small children to hit each other with.

I don't personally know any other ukulele players in the area where I live. So, in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Without the Web and access to an online community, I would feel very isolated.

KEN

Likewise Ken. Luckily because I'm in London there is a greater mix and I'm able to get lessons and visit workshops with other uke players but they are still few and far between.

Without the internet it'd be difficult to get any information or find anyone else as enthusiastic about the instrument. The George Formby association still runs fairly deeply and as a result I rarely tell people I play (or at least try to play) the ukulele. Although having said that if they visit my flat they will definitely get a rendition of one of the three songs I know.

I'm probably the best in my local area, again because I very much doubt anyone within 1 mile plays the uke.

i haven't met n e other uke players in my city. but i seriously doubt im the best in my town. when i show off my uking abilities i will occasionally hear something like "o u remind me of my friend...he/she plays the uke too", i can't know for sure if the friend is in the same town or not. but still i doubt im the best...plus i know there are a bunch of islanders in my city seeing all kinds of hawaiian pride, philipino pride, samoan pride or last but not least Chamorro Pride stickers.

try coming to hawaii where almost the entire local population knows how to play surf and more than words. i think im better than most of those people, but obviously with the like of jake, aldrine, taimane, ka'au crater boys, the list goes on, im nowhere near the top

I know one other uke owner (I hesitate to call him a player), and he can't tune his without help, never mind play anything. I guess I win.

No good.....but getting better. I think I have surpassed a few of my friends in skill in the 9 months I've been playing.

Likewise Ken. Luckily because I'm in London there is a greater mix and I'm able to get lessons and visit workshops with other uke players but they are still few and far between. QUOTE]

Have you tried Ukulele Wednesdays at The Royal George Pub, Goslett Yard off Charing Cross Road?

Or The Duke of Uke shop - Duke of Uke. London's Very Own. Ukulele And Banjo Emporium. 22 Hanbury Street • London • E1 6QR. Tel/Fax : +44(0)20 7247 7924. Open Tuesday - Sunday

Or the Dulwich Ukulele Club

Or this lot in Enfield: http://www.myspace.com/ukulelesoup

Few and far between? Pah!;)

In my own mind yes....I'm better than some of the folks in my classes:rock:
But when I hear the guys where I get my ukes play or the folks that teach my lessons or on here or......

I don't quite know how to put this but isn't this an immodest question? Besides, I thought with the internet we had abandoned the idea of a local community and were busy populating a global village.

I can't play uke but I can play guitar and so play uke like a guitar...therefore I am not a ukulele player despite being often advised that I am:music:

Top Bottom