Ukulele setup....

Boosted

Reaction score
Since Im new to ukulele's, I have been reading and learning a lot from this website and forum. Thank you to all the members who have contributed. Hopefully someday I will be able to contribute some useful information as well....that being said, I have a question for you experts.

What my options for setup on my new uke? I am in Everett, Washington and I cannot find any local music stores that specialize in ukulele's. Should I look into sending it somewhere to be properly setup?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Bill

I am in Everett, Washington and I cannot find any local music stores that specialize in ukulele's.

Even if a music store "specializes" in `ukulele, doesn't mean they know how to properly setup instruments. A local luthier will probably have the knowledge to do it correctly, but he just needs to realize that this is a different instrument than what he/she may be used to. Still, the basics of a proper setup remain the same.

-Aaron

I'm not an expert, but what make/model uke did you get? I, for example, would not hesitate to try some basic setup adjustments on my laminate uke, but almost definitely not on my solid koa uke. If you are even moderately handy with certain basic tools, there are discussions here that provide detailed how-to instructions on most aspects of a uke setup.

It depends on what needs to be done, but if you include shipping to & from a non-local luthier, you're talking about $40-50. That might be worth it on a $200+ uke. But on a $100 uke I'd probably seriously consider simply buying another uke from a seller that will do a proper setup. Just some thoughts.

What Drew said. If it's an inexpensive Dolphin, LU-21, or the like - have at it using one of the excellent tutorials. If, on the other hand, it's a uke that cost a few hundred then you might be more cautious.

If you really want someone else to do the work, any good guitar tech can set it up. Note that good pretty much precludes anybody working at a Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc. Ask around with guitar players in your community who they trust to do a fret job or set up an acoustic guitar - chances are pretty good it'll be some little old bent-over grizzled crackpot working in a small shop...it's kind of like BBQ - some of the best comes from the most surprising places :)

I appreciate the responses but now Im really confused....lol

Well, not really but here's my dilema. The uke is a Lanikai CK-T that unfortunately was purchased from a generic music store on ebay. Had I done my research BEFORE buying it, I would have ended up with a different uke purchased from one of the recommended dealers here. My goal is to learn how to play this one, then upgrade later. Im not opposed to spending some $$ to get this one to play and sound better if it will be worth the effort.

I've already learned a lot just reading these forums and I cant wait to learn more.

Thanks, Bill

I forgot to mention, I am very good with my hands and have no problem attempting to set this uke up myself, but would much rather have a pro do it for me. Once I see and hear what a properly set up uke should sound like, I may attempt it on my daughters CK-C which she just got for Christmas.... :cool:

Thanks, Bill

First off, does it need to be set up further? Strings will stretch for a while, so don't worry about that. Is there any buzzing? Is it fairly easy to press and hold the stings easily (action high or low). I there is really no problem with these issues, you are probably good to go!

I forgot to mention, I am very good with my hands and have no problem attempting to set this uke up myself, but would much rather have a pro do it for me. Once I see and hear what a properly set up uke should sound like,

Lanikai? Not worth the $50 an hour plus to have it setup properly.

Good with hands? Do it yourself. Go to Frank Ford's site, and he'll show you everything you need (Frets.com). I think MGM has a video on HMS' site, but I haven't seen it.

-Aaron

I don't know if he does this type of work, but Duane at Black Bear Ukulele is in Yakima. I suggest you email and describe your situation. At the very least he can refer you to someone nearer Everett.

Here are a couple of links I found very educational. The first is MGM Mike's written description of a proper setup. The second is a video of Joel at HMS explaining what they do for setup.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Ukulele-What-is-setup-Action-and-Intonation-mean_W0QQugidZ10000000004902503
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adeFF0nQyzM

I'm in the "DIY" camp. You'll gain confidence and knowledge. I'd also order a few specialty tools.

First off, does it need to be set up further? Strings will stretch for a while, so don't worry about that. Is there any buzzing? Is it fairly easy to press and hold the stings easily (action high or low). I there is really no problem with these issues, you are probably good to go!

Great questions....I should have listed my reasons for thinking I need a setup. First off, it seems to be a great selling point, shops that provide the service of setup with purchase which led me to believe this is something that should be done on all production ukes. Yes, my uke seems to have a slight buzz on the #2 string which goes away after the 5th fret. Doesnt make sense to me but thats what its doing. The action seems high, although that could be my lack of experience and not being used to pressing down strings with my fingers...lol.

I know Lanikai's are not rated very high, especially on this forum but I went with them based on what I felt was decent quality in the $250 or less range and felt they would be good starter ukes for myself and my daughter. Also, the fact that I did absolutely no research prior to purchasing our ukes. BTW, her concert sounds much better than my tenor and doesnt seem to have any of the issues I have mentioned on mine. Once we both learn how to play, the plan is to upgrade both of our ukes to something much nicer and what we learn from this forum will help choose the right ones for us at that point.

Thanks again for all the responses. I cant wait to learn how to play this beautiful instrument.

I don't know if he does this type of work, but Duane at Black Bear Ukulele is in Yakima. I suggest you email and describe your situation. At the very least he can refer you to someone nearer Everett.

Here are a couple of links I found very educational. The first is MGM Mike's written description of a proper setup. The second is a video of Joel at HMS explaining what they do for setup.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Ukulele-What-is-setup-Action-and-Intonation-mean_W0QQugidZ10000000004902503
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adeFF0nQyzM

Awesome, I will shoot him an email and thanks for the links!

Bill

Most ukes just need the grooves in the nut lowered a tad. Its easy and no biggy.

I'm in the "DIY" camp. You'll gain confidence and knowledge. I'd also order a few specialty tools.

I've found the only tool I've needed for ukuleles is a single double-sided nut file from StewMac. I have a full set of nut files for setting up guitars, but the only one I've had to use on uke is the one that is .026" on one side and .032" on the other. This sounds a bit wide, but it works quite fine for most ukuleles using either "wide" strings like Aquillas or "thin" strings like fluorocarbon. If you plan to use unwound low-G strings, or do baritones, you might need the next size larger, as well.

If you end up needing to level the frets you'll need an absolutely straight sanding block about 10-12" long. You can use a not-to-expensive level from Lowes or what have you by spraying the sandpaper with 3M spray trim adhesive and sticking the sandpaper (320 or 400 grit "wet-or-dry") to the level.

While I don't enjoy doing setups, and when I can get somebody like Mim or MGM to do one for "peanuts" ( :) ) I do so. Still, it is nice knowing you have the ability to make a uke right when (not if) you need to.

John

I know Lanikai's are not rated very high, especially on this forum but I went with them based on what I felt was decent quality in the $250 or less range and felt they would be good starter ukes for myself and my daughter.

It's not really an issue unique to Lanikai. Most instruments in this price range can be a bit of a crap shoot. At this price range they're mass produced and most get very little individual attention, if any at all. One of the best factory setups I've ever seen was on a Lanikai 8-string acoustic-electric (the uke was like playing a wet dog, acoustically, but the setup was perfect). Even the Kala solid acacia ukes usually need a setup. That's why you should always buy from vendors with good reps or be prepared to set up a uke yourself.

What all deese guys said.. ;)

I also think you should learn to do it yourself, especially if you're young and have a long life of buying stringed instruments ahead of you. Get a supply of bone material for nuts and saddles from Stewart MacDonald. Files are usually too big for nuts for me but I fold a piece of emery paper and lightly use it as a file to lower existing slots. Sanding the bottom off of a saddle is mostly what I do. I've found that an action height just over the thickness of two credit cards is about right. Two credit cards (excluding the raised numbers) pass freely under the 12th fret but start to touch and bind at the 10th fret. Then test the playability all over the board and listen back to your playing on a recording. Notes that "thud" usually indicate an action too high.

I used to put my actions too low but that is where the supply of nut material comes in - you might want to try a few different heights.

Not a young guy, but hopefully have a few years left in me...lol

Im definately going to read up on DIY setups and attempt this on my own. Worst case scenerio would be that I would have to send it somewhere to fix whatever I screw up which I doubt will happen. Will post up my results.

Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully this thread will help others as much as it has helped me.

Bill

Just an update....I got a return authorization from the seller so this Lanikai is going back. ;)

To replace it, I called Mike at Hawaii Music Supply and ordered an Islander MT-4 (they were out of MST-4's) that comes already setup. This should be a good uke to play until the new Islanders come out.

Great choice and a good lesson-- one that I learned myself. My first ukulele was one that I purchased off the shelf in Waikiki this past summer. I had no idea about set-up at the time and the ukulele store never suggested a set-up. After returning home and joining UU and doing other reading I started to read about the set-up. Then I purchased an Islander from HMS and what a world of difference it was. Since that time I have had eight additional ukulele's, all with set-ups (I have kept 5)-- but the one (Kala concert travel) without the set-up is my least favorite to play and is relegated to being used only when I travel and throw it into my luggage. The ukulele's with set-ups are wonderful. I recently purchased a Koaloha concert that plays like butter. So easy-- I can play better on the Koaloha, mostly, and all of my other ukulele's than the Kala. The difference is the set-up. Best of luck to you with the Islander. Hope you love it as much as I love mine.

Top Bottom