Christmas Uke for Mom

mketom

Reaction score
My 85-year-old Mom expressed an interest my new hobby, Uke building, so I made her one for Christmas. It's mango with a spanish cedar neck and bubinga fretboard, headstock and bridge. And another oversized rosette, this time with purfling. I am trying to, as Chuck Moore puts it, get in touch with my inner purflings...

Mele kalikimaka to all!!!

Attachments

• DSC07264 (800x603).jpg
    DSC07264 (800x603).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC07270 (600x800).jpg
    DSC07270 (600x800).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC07271 (600x800).jpg
    DSC07271 (600x800).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC07279 (800x600).jpg
    DSC07279 (800x600).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC07290 (800x600).jpg
    DSC07290 (800x600).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Oh my! Beautiful instrument. What a blessing you are :) Look how happy your Mom is!

Great pictures. This is definitely a special Christmas for you and Mom. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

Forget about all the nonsense we talk about in regards to strings and wood and finishes and cases, etc,. Your mom knows or cares nothing of these things. But this, my friends, is what we build ukuleles for. Turning people on to our passion and getting a reaction like that. Just think, she's lived 85 years so far and has seen and done a lot of things, but up until now has never known the joy of ukulele. Now she has. That's awesome. (Now if she could only talk a friend into playing with her...... Get busy Tom :) )

Aloha mketom,
What a beautiful uke for an equally beautiful Lady. Bless you, your Mom, your uke and your caring heart. Chuck IS right and to hear it from a Master like he is, is Gospel in my book. Happy Holidays to you and yours......................BO........

That looks like a fantastic Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She looks so happy, and it is always the greatest feeling when you get to do something like that for family. Merry Christmas!

Very heart warming stuff and a very pretty uke!

That is gorgeous!! Your Mum will be picking it up & strumming it at every opportunity!!

Well done!

Roberta

Very nice story, and a uke that has special meaning to both of you for sure. You are blessed with mom at 85,.....i lost mine in 1999 at just age 64. Must be good genes!

One extra chuckle i got was in seeing the strap button installed. Somehow i can't imagine your mom playing while standing with the uke hung over her shoulder. :D

Last edited:
See just loves it. The strap button was actually to cover the gap in the shell. :eek: but who knows, she's an amazing person. She'll probably play it better than me by next Christmas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom