just ordered some worth clears in hopes of saving a CBU

Keef

Reaction score
just ordered some worth clears in hopes of saving a CBU I bought this UKE a few years ago and have disliked its dull sound and thick low G strings I just cant stand to play it. Not to long ago a string broke on my Koaloha so I ordered 3 sets of worth clears to save the day otherwise I may use the CBU as a fly swatter or bird house ;)

Does it have a pickup installed? Some CBU's aren't worth much acoustically because of the thick tops, etc. etc.?

I installed a pickup hoping that would help but I still don't care for it im thinking about trading it for that plastic uke I saw at cracker barrel LOL just kidding I will let you all know if the worth strings help

Aloha Keef,
Hope you had a Merry Christmas....Not sure worth clears is the answer though....

Aloha Keef,
Hope you had a Merry Christmas....Not sure worth clears is the answer though....

:agree: If Aquilas won't get the job done, not sure what would. Perhaps a poorly constructed CBU....perhaps nothing will help except metal strings. Have read about a few guys doing that to salvage it. I have the string diameters for the ones on my Risa tenor electric if you want to go that route. Can always use it for funky music (turn up gain, etc.)

just got back from eating at cracker barrel resturant I tried the plastic uke they have in the gift shop and I take it back it is worse than the CBU :)

I've got a Tom Guy cigarbox with low G and I loved the sound of it with the strings that were on it. I replaced them with Worth Brown Low G and don't like it anymore. Tom Guy Jr. told me to get some Aquila low G with the G string wound would work best for it and he was right I like it again.

yep thats what I have a blue grass uke everyone that has them are happy but mine seems so dull .
its probably me

well I put the worth clears on it and it sounds a lot better but the G string makes something vibrate in the body and it has a twang to it like a sitar http://youtu.be/hTPxqUtlLdo but at least I don't completely hate it any more I might play this uke when im drinking as I tend not to be as picky in that state :)

I've been playing my Kamaka HF-3 and my Tom Guy walnut tenor since purchasing them at Christmas and last night pulled out my Bluegrass cigarbox and believe it or not it can hang pretty close to both of my new ones. I wonder why your having such a problem with the sound of yours? Im blown away by the sound that comes out of mine.

I've got a Tom Guy cigarbox with low G and I loved the sound of it with the strings that were on it. I replaced them with Worth Brown Low G and don't like it anymore. Tom Guy Jr. told me to get some Aquila low G with the G string wound would work best for it and he was right I like it again.

On my curly koa Tom Guy Tenor (not a CBU), i replaced the strings that Tom had on it because i felt the low G was noticably louder that the other three strings. The G string being wound was the reason. This is a common finding with a wound low G, from what i've read.

I've since replaced them with a Worth Clear low G (not wound) set, and the balance is much better to my ear. The unwound low G is not perfect, mind you, as it is a bit floppier than i would like. But the tradeoff in getting a more balanced output well worth it.....

......at least until i find that "perfect" string set! :)

it came with low G strings that I just dont care for personal preference ..... now Im wondering if you HAVE TO have low G strings on it avoid the resonate twang

it came with low G strings that I just dont care for personal preference ..... now Im wondering if you HAVE TO have low G strings on it avoid the resonate twang

I think you'll find the intonation will be too far off if you go to high G tuning. On my Tenor, the low G side of the bridge is set back substantially to intonate properly.

The instrument's saddles are adjusted based on whether a hi or low G string set is being used, although i remember seeing one builder (?) who added TWO saddle slot positions for the G string to allow for either. It had, of course, a split saddle consisting of 2 separate pieces.

Last edited:
Try the Southcoast (G650) wound "G" wound "C" set for excellent balance (if you don't mind wound strings).

Top Bottom