the more i look at this the more i think Kalei is unrated

MGM

Reaction score
That was lovely, melodic and with a sense of drama.

One of my favorites and I'm glad he's starting to get recognized. He's got a HiSessions episode and he was on Pakele live a few times.

Mele Kalikimaka, Mike.

If you wanna listen to a version without the crowd noise and distractions, check out the HiSessions vid (Mahalos to Ryan for mentioning it) . . . another great channel featuring local acts from the 808.

Wow! What a number. He certainly isn't underrated in my view. I think his ukulele superstardom is inevitable. I hope you are healing well Mike and that you have a Happy New Year.

He is easily my favourite ukulele player. He takes my breath away. You are very lucky to know him.

He inspired me with his version of "kiss from a rose" to learn it.

I think "the unknown" is the most soundtrack sounding ukulele song I've ever heard. His choice of chords and composition is more than just fast strumming and triplets, it's awesome chord progressions. I bet if you arranged that song for an orchestra, it could easily be a soundtrack to a major motion picture film.

He is awesome.
Cheers,
Skottoman

I agree with all the comments about Kalei. The introductory video by HiSessions shows that he's continuing the "tradition" of unassuming humility exhibited by most of the ukulele "stars" I've seen on video.

BTW, HiSessions production quality is excellent. I've subscribed to their YouTube channel in the hope they cover more uke players.

I wish my videos are better quality but I record off the fly....now with my iPad so its live unedited or tweaked...we get some great ukulele players at our Friday kanikapila jams at nico,s so I just turn on and shoot....as most of you know from my spelling and typos....editing is not me. Lol. You get the real deal

Aloha Mike,
Mahalo for sharing this. Kalei indeed is relatively unknown but soon he'll receive the accolades he so rightfully deserves.
There is a wealth of "undiscovered" talent in my homeland eh? While on vacation recently, I watched in awe a 12 or 13 year old jamming to covers of Jakes, Aldrines, Kaleis, Abe's, Troy's, etc.,etc.........unreal, unrealized talent.
oh yeah, thanks for keeping us abreast of local talent........................BO....................

Loved it! I had so much fun sending this to my non-ukulele friends (who seem to think I'm slightly loony in my fascination with the instrument). I think this has opened their ears!

And, while I'll never get anywhere near to Kalei's level of musicianship, I certainly can appreciate his talent and tremendous technique. Truly wonderful.

Does anyone know what type of strings he use? Sounds much more like a guitar than uke...of course it could be the fact that it's Sitka Spruce w/ Rosewood. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom