FS: Compass Rose Mahogany Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

soupking

Reaction score
I ordered this Compass Rose mahogany tenor this past July from the man himself, and received it in September. I really wanted to try a CR after researching them online. I used money I had on hand, and ordered the style A no-frills model. I don't have a bad thing to say about this uke. It's perfect and in mint condition. There's not a mark to be found on it anywhere. Features a floating ebony fretboard and personal sound port. The satin is so smooth that you might wind up hugging it more than playing it; it's got an awesome feel to it. Sounds incredible with a luscious, rich tone.

The plan is to use the funds from this sale to buy a CR style C model. I wish I'd just been a little more patient and saved up for a koa gloss tenor, but I didn't because UAS has infected my brain and judgement.

Price is $975 and I'll pay shipping/insurance to CONUS. Not really interested in sending overseas, but I'll entertain all offers. Includes pictured original gigbag.

http://photobucket.com/compassmahog

Last edited:
Great Uke!!! Man, I'd love a Hog CR...

Brah ... still waiting for you to post a video clip of the actual uke being played.:music:

Haha. I actually did do one and it is HORRIBLE. I can't post the link 'cause I'm at work, but if you go to mattycambell on Youtube you'll find it. Just don't be jealous of my awesome uke skills. And don't anyone post the link on here either. Save me the embarrassment and humiliation. Haha.

I've done what you're wanting to do, by ordering a C-style. Just after ordering an 8-string Kamaka became available, and my exhaust disintegrated on my car, so it (felt like it) broke me - I'm certain it'll be worth the pain in the end. :D

It must be karma at work, making me feel the pain and anguish before the reward.

I looked up Ricks site but didn't see a C-style Tenor; only the mahogany. What's the difference? I just sold my vintage archtop Guitar and am considering another tenor. I want a radiused fretboard for easier barre chording due to arthritis in the wrists. Looks like CR is a flat fretboard.

Hi Patrick,

I'd like to see if I would like a curved fretboard. Which brands have you seen that that offer it?

The C Style just introduces more wood combos/decorative options and comes with the gloss finish. The Compass Rose fingerboard is not radiused, but it is very easy to play. Mya Moe uses a radius as standard, as well as (I think Collings); and also a number of custom builders offer that option. I've owned a Mya Moe and they do play really smoothly, although I didn't attribute too much of that to the radius- they're just well made. I personally couldn't really tell the difference, although many members here say they can and that they like it.

Haven't even had a lowball offer yet. Not a single offer, in fact. Needless to say, still open to offers. If this doesn't move in the next couple days I'm seriously just gonna close it and keep it. These aren't impossible to find, but there aren't too many of them going around either. Build and tone are top-notch. I just prefer koa and gloss...

Haven't even had a lowball offer yet. Not a single offer, in fact. Needless to say, still open to offers. If this doesn't move in the next couple days I'm seriously just gonna close it and keep it. These aren't impossible to find, but there aren't too many of them going around either. Build and tone are top-notch. I just prefer koa and gloss...

I can't believe there hasn't been any interest. I'm interested, but I'm already in the process of figuring out what I want for a custom Compass Rose. Pretty much a model "C" with a few personalized details. I've chosen the wood for the top, and I think I'm going to get a little custom inlay as well.

Good luck to you!

I have a different taste, especially I dont really like(need) the binding on headstock, so I chose B as my start. It turned out that the final price was close to model C too. lol.

PS: I would recommend anyone who wants to get a feeling of CR uke to grab this one.... Rick does make his instrument very well.

Last edited:
I have a different taste, especially I dont really like(need) the binding on headstock, so I chose B as my start. It turned out that the final price was close to model C too. lol.

PS: I would recommend anyone who wants to get a feeling of CR uke to grab this one.... Rick does make his instrument very well.

I don't care for binding all that much either, but I live close to his shop so I went for a visit and he showed me thinner binding/purfling that gave it a much cleaner look. I might opt for all local woods and use that in the binding as well.

PS: I have a Kamaka HF-3 and the Compass Rose sounds every bit as good (I think better actually) and is extremely easy to play. There's a five string (double course on the "G") at Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz that is really sweet. And like I said, if I hadn't committed to a custom already, I'd be lobbying the wife for permission to buy this from soupking :)

Mind if I ask what spec your custom uke is? We know that it is a model "C" already, but what else? top/side wood combination/tuner/pickup?

Mind if I ask what spec your custom uke is? We know that it is a model "C" already, but what else? top/side wood combination/tuner/pickup?

Me? That's what I'm trying to decide. I already have figured cherry picked out for the top and maybe the back. I'm seriously thinking of just giving Rick a list of items I know I don't want (rope binding for instance) and then letting him do whatever he wants; especially if he wants to try something new. I know it will have a D-Tar Timberline pick-up and for inlay I can't decide between my initials, or a family crest in the fretboard. I took his uke building class and we talked a few times about local woods and I think he has an idea of what appeals to me. Aside from the cherry I already picked out, I'd really like to just let the artist do his work.

I have the 2011 Compass Rose Price list with a description of styles, if some readers are not familiar with the CR styles. I assume things have been updated for 2012.

"All natural Hardwoods are employed in building (we do not use laminates).
All our instruments offer the carbon fiber reinforced cantilevered fingerboard that does not touch the top of the body as a design element that uniquely opens up the sound possibilities.
All Ukuleles are built with Hot Hide Glue and include a sound port on the player’s side."

Style A: All mahogany body, ebony fingerboard, unbound, with Gotoh nickel vintage open back tuners and a smooth satin finish.

Style B: All mahogany body, ebony fingerboard, top & back bound, with Gotoh nickel open back tuners and a smooth satin finish.

Style C: All mahogany body, ebony fingerboard, top, back, and headstock bound with top and headstock rope purfling, Refined heel cap, Gotoh ‘antique style’ open back tuners and a full gloss finish.

Options & Upgrades for models B and C
Top Woods: Adirondack Spruce Top,Cedar Top, Old growth Redwood Top, Back & Sides: Indian Rosewood,

Full Body Woods: All American Cherry, Claro Walnut, Flame Maple, Santa Cruz Sycamore,Hawaiian Koa

Last edited:
I could toss you a lowball offer but it would be an insult to this fine Uke :(

Hmm, a sound port was never mentioned to me when I ordered mine. I hope it doesn't have it, spoils the look for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom