Worth clear baritone strings too loose

enzymerich

Reaction score
My goal was to try to get more volume out of my Mainland mahogany baritone.
I did a forum search for Baritone worth clear strings and saw some folks really liked them so I ordered a DGBE set. Well you actually have to buy 2 sets - since each string is long enough to get 2 out of it. Price: $14
These are all unwound strings.
But, the Worth clear low D on the baritone is so loose and floppy it's like a rubber band - unacceptable, totally distracting and slides around when I fret it.
Is anybody really pleased with these strings?
Maybe they're tighter on other make ukes or smaller ukes?
So, it's back to Aquila DGBE - of which a new set is sounding pretty good right now.
Frustrating part is they can't be returned after cutting them in half.
Lesson learned:
Search the forums more thoroughly for any possible negative comments which I found later:
Baritone worth browns too loose
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...loose&highlight=aquila+worth+baritone+strings
You have been warned!
Rich

hi enyzmerich: I have used worth clears dgbe on my baritone uke before and have not had looseness of string problem. I am wondering if you are tuning an octave too low. You might try tuning the low D an octave higher to see if it will take it. Are you using a tuner, piano, ear, to tune to. Just doesn't sound right somehow. I actually liked the worth clears, but for g tuning I have come to like the 4th and 3rd wounds better D"Darrio J28 (sp) are great.. Good luck! Lozark

Thanks for the reply. I used a Korg electronic tuner. It was for the proper octave - when I tried to the next higher octave the D string was higher in pitch than the next higher G string. Others have mentioned the same problem:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...loose&highlight=aquila+worth+baritone+strings

the easiest way to tell if you are in the correct octave and tune is to strum down on all four strings..and listen...You should have the "My dog has fleas" tune...Good Luck...
there alot of higher tension strings on the market if that is your preference...

Once I used Worth Browns on my oscar schmidt baritone, which came with GHS strings. I didn't like the D and G unwound strings, so I put the GHS wounded strings on the D and G and the worth on the B and E. You can order spare strings with Masaya, directly from Worth. The email is worthc@me.com.

I sold this baritone and now I use Aquila on my Harmony baritone. I don't like aquilas very much on my other ukes, but I think in this one it sounds good.

Top Bottom