Amp with phantom power mic (like MarshallAS50D): using mic questions?

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
I don't want to buy a separate PA system. I want to play small venues.

Is the Marshall AS50D good for uke/guitar cable and mic XLR simultaneously? Is anything lost in doing both together (feedback, power loss, etc.) Anyone use the uke and voice both just through the microphone (i.e. with an non-electric uke)--how's it work for you?

Any other brand/model amps with this capability to consider? Thanks in advance.

I don't have much experience, but you might check on Fender Acoustasonic.

–Lori

Mixed bag, coolkayaker1.

What brand/model condenser mic are you using? If you don't have a mic yet, there are dynamic microphones that work great for your application. What is your budget for both microphone and amp? Will you be playing both indoors and outdoors? What size audiences will you be playing for? Will AC power always be available?

I own over 5 dozen amps from many manufacturers and use all of them for different purposes. I've worked venues with audiences of 15 (farmers markets and swap meets) to over 5,000 (major concerts) and can do almost anything in between.

I rarely plug my ukes in and generally use a single microphone for both the ukulele and my vocals. If I do plug in, I use an LR Baggs Paracoustic DI to get a more natural sound:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/lr-baggs-para-acoustic-di/307160000000000

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_307160_V.jpg

Cool kayaker - the Marshall is designed to be used that way, ie XLR mic and line input together. Works a treat.

I've also used the XLR input with an instrument mic and had another instrument plugged into line in

I also have an amp Marshall as100d, but I have not tested it in public yet. What type of microphone is the ideal? I do not know if the best is a condenser or other type... There is a preferred model of condenser mic for live performances?

coolkayaker1,

What brand/model condenser mic are you using? If you don't have a mic yet, there are dynamic microphones that work great for your application. What is your budget for both microphone and amp? Will you be playing both indoors and outdoors? What size audiences will you be playing for? Will AC power always be available?

There are omnidirectional microphones, cardioid, super cardioid and hypercardioid. Generally the less directional the mic, the higher the feedback issues. There's a lot of technique using a microphone. to help eliminate feedback. Ric

I have the exact amp and have used it in a live situation. Everything sounds fine through it live with no feedback as the anti feedback works excellently right up Max volume I have an active pickup in the uke though so of you do not I couldn't comment. I use a sm56 mic with xlr input but do not own a condensor mic. The amp would only be used in a small to medium gig eenvironment or a intimate quiet gig if you want to be heard. I use a sm57 instrument mic to mic up the amp to the pa system fpr the gigs I play. Hope this helps.

I also use a Marshall AS50D. I have played small gigs using it ersatz PA. It is a great little amp and if mine ever got stolen or lost I would buy another without a doubt (unless I stepped up to its big brother the AS100D instead! LOL).

It copes with XLR and jack input simultaneously with no prob. As has been noted, it is designed for that. It's a great combo for a player/vocalist to play small pubs or cafes with.

Another couple of amps you might examine for comparison purposes:
SWR California Blonde II -- I have a friend who uses his for electric bass, vocals, guitars, drum machine, on and on.
Fishman Loudbox Artist -- Recommended to me by a highly trusted Martin guitar dealer. I've not heard it in person.

Top Bottom